+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Restaurant Star Eats Canned Soup at Home

Restaurant Star Eats Canned Soup at Home

Restaurant Star Eats Canned Soup at Home
    Mon Aug 4, 1:31 PM ET

LOS ANGELES(AP) - Chef Rocco DiSpirito, star of NBC's reality show "The Restaurant," serves some extravagant dishes on the new series. But when DiSpirito is off the clock and off camera, he said he tends to favor fast, simple food.

He eats "Lots of sushi, lots of canned soup at home," DiSpirito told reporters in a recent interview. "And I take a can of beans and a can of chicken stock and chili powder and that's like my quick fix."

DiSpirito said he learned the bulk of what he knows about Italian food from his mom, and especially his grandmother, who grew her own vegetables and raised her own animals.

On his program he tries to show people what real Italian food is all about, he said. But he also has some fun with the Italian-American culture.

"We take advantage of the good life that the Italian Americans love to live and I try to bring it to people through 'The Restaurant,'" Rocco said. "And we make fun of it too, because it's pretty hilarious. The fact that we have the tackiest homes in America, and we wear too much gold jewelry... it's pretty funny stuff."

The chef added that he takes his work seriously, but despite publicity, he's not too full of himself.

"Of course it's fun to be thought of as sexy as nice as smart, whatever," Rocco admitted. "But the thing about restaurants is it's the great equalizer. It'll always keep you firmly on the ground. It's such a tough business that there's no chance that you will float off into the sky because you were in People magazine."

FORT Newbie
    Oh my gosh!
    Can't someone put a muzzle on this boy. Last week he insulted all self respecting women, and this week he's decided to dis his own people.
    "The fact that we have the tackiest homes in America..."
    Where are all those protestors who jumped on The Sopranos for steroetyping?
    A little picket line for pride might be appropriate at 12 E.22ND street.

A woman of substance WildThymeWoman's Avatar
    He eats "Lots of sushi, lots of canned soup at home," DiSpirito told reporters in a recent interview. "And I take a can of beans and a can of chicken stock and chili powder and that's like my quick fix."
    Okay - this explains all the hot air....
    Well-Behaved Women Rarely Make History
    -Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Metallica Fanatic breathless4975's Avatar
    So Rocco feels he isn't too full of himself? What a hoot!
    There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. - Albert Schweitzer

The most thoroughly wasted of all days is that on which one has not laughed.

If I accept the sunshine and warmth, then I must also accept the thunder and lightening.

+ Reply to Thread