+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: “When Darkness Falls” - The Restaurant recap 8/10

FORT Newbie

flipped shot - possible explanation

Maybe I can offer some insight into the "flipped shot" mystery.

I work as a television camera operator.

There are several possibilities for the "flipped" shot.

1) the camera operator "broke a 180". In narrative imagemaking, there is a general rule that shots should make logical spatial sense. Thusly, if two subjects are shown having a conversation, the shots of the subjects should make logical spatial sense in relation to the camera position. If one subject is on the left of the camera, the subject should remain on the left of the camera. There is an imaginary line between the subject, and in order to make sense the shots should all be from the same side of this line, a line dividing a 380 degree circle of possible camera positions. Subject "A" should be looking "screen left". Subject "B" should be looking "screen right".

The exception is when the camera position is revealed to relocate, in other words, if the camera person moves around the subjects.

So, after this convaluted explanation, we are left with the possibility that the camera operator moved around the conversation and shot the subjects from the other side, but the editors decided not to use the shot that re-established the new camera position. Yet they wanted the shots of Gideon from that new postion, and were forced to "flip" the shot in order for it to make sense spatially. Phew ! Make any sense ?( hey, I push a record button for a living, I'm no writer ! )

2) The producers flipped the shot to avoid legal issues with the signage seen in the background. Although usually they just "blur" stuff out, ala sports logos in Rap music videos. ( anyone notice signs being readable in other shots from the show ?)

3) the shows producers did not want to give the businesses whose signs are seen in the shot free advertising.

3) Gideon is faking and put the sling on the wrong arm. I find this unlikely, especially since he seems eager to work, suiting up twice only to be sent home again.

Was the "just breathe" indeed a Telepopmusik reference ? And was the "Another day" a This Mortal Coil / Cocteau Twins homage ?

And just what WAS that brown stuff dripping from the ceiling ?

Quote Originally Posted by Caligirl
    Thanks for reading my stuff. May I put you on my mailing list when my novel gets published?
    Thank you, Caligirl. I didn't mention it, but I was not able to watch the show on Sunday night. It did not bother me because I knew you would post a most excellent minute by minute recap. I felt like I had not missed a thing after reading what you wrote. It is very generous of you to take the time to recap a show. Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by misslolabelle
    Feel free to crucify me for accepting the Vespa. But keep in mind that there's always more to the story...
    lolabelle,
    I wouldn't dream of saying an unkind word about the Vespa! My mother taught me to graciously accept any time someone offers me the keys to a Vespa. Good for you!

I would love to hear the "more to the story" part.

FORT Newbie
    Hello:
    I've been lurking here for a day or so (that sounds so unsavory). Anyway, I knew a bit about Rocco before the show started; I have been unofficially following his career for some time. In "reality", his reputation as a chef is actually quite well deserved. He has set in his own mind exactly how things should be done- status quo be damned. I admire his skill, imagination, originality and edge greatly- it's what makes him so good. Before this series aired, I didn't know anything about Rocco personally, only about his training, background and culinary portfolio-brillant. However, after watching, I admit to being disappointed but not completely surprised by his behaviour. It takes a lot to rise above the chaff in the culinary world (especially for women- whole other thread) and become the best of the best. You have to be in touch with your inner dragon to some extent to survive training in a professional kitchen. I'm not mad at him though...and I respect him for not compromising-BUT- he's in grave danger of losing his title as a serious chef with this show...at least to those who don't know how unique and freakishly talented he truly is.

LV
    PS-I missed the show this week. Great recap

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by cameradude
    Maybe I can offer some insight into the "flipped shot" mystery.
    Gideon is faking and put the sling on the wrong arm. I find this unlikely, especially since he seems eager to work, suiting up twice only to be sent home again.

Was the "just breathe" indeed a Telepopmusik reference ? And was the "Another day" a This Mortal Coil / Cocteau Twins homage ?

And just what WAS that brown stuff dripping from the ceiling ?
    That was a great explanation of how images are sometimes flipped to keep some consistency in the shots or in this case to obliterate the signage. You da man, cameradude!

I agree that it's unlikely that Gideon would fake his injury and be dumb enough to wear the sling on the wrong arm. Rocco was truly nasty and seemed to derive pleasure out of sending him home repeatedly.

I believe that the substance seeping through the kitchen ceiling was found to be alcohol from the bar. Perhaps they had a leaky keg.

Yes, the "Another day - just breathe" was a reference to one of my favorite Telepopmusik songs, "Breathe" but if you'll notice they also used it twice in the Mitsubishi commercial during the show.

Thank you marella. Unklescott, uselessdevotion for your comments.

Welcome to the FORT and many thanks for that interesting background information on Rocco, Lunavendi.
    Last edited by CaliGirl; 08-12-2003 at 01:41 AM.

ayatollah of rocknrolla

miss generic wife....

Quote Originally Posted by genericwife
    lolabelle,
    I wouldn't dream of saying an unkind word about the Vespa! My mother taught me to graciously accept any time someone offers me the keys to a Vespa. Good for you!

I would love to hear the "more to the story" part.
    \
    (you will..stay tuned)

funny you should say that...I refused the vespa three times. (edited out of the show) and my mother ALSO taught me that it was unladylike to refuse something when someone is adamant about giving it to you.
    and so... if someone would like to seriously offer me-
    1) a miniature burro
    2) a case of Stoli O
    3) A date with Benecio del Toro
    I would honor their intentions...whew! what a night that would be!
    (arched eyebrow and devilish grin)

mlb
    spill the wine. dig that girl. www.misslolabelle.com

FORT Newbie
    Lola...you rock. I hope you saw on my site that i left it up to you to tell the whole story. They made it seem very horrible on TV. Funny story, I actually gave Rocco that red vespa to get a shift to work one night. hahaha

FORT Newbie

Professional Danger

[QUOTE=Lunavendi]Hello:
    I've been lurking here for a day or so (that sounds so unsavory). Anyway, I knew a bit about Rocco before the show started; I have been unofficially following his career for some time. In "reality", his reputation as a chef is actually quite well deserved. He has set in his own mind exactly how things should be done- status quo be damned. I admire his skill, imagination, originality and edge greatly- it's what makes him so good. Before this series aired, I didn't know anything about Rocco personally, only about his training, background and culinary portfolio-brillant. However, after watching, I admit to being disappointed but not completely surprised by his behaviour. It takes a lot to rise above the chaff in the culinary world (especially for women- whole other thread) and become the best of the best. You have to be in touch with your inner dragon to some extent to survive training in a professional kitchen. I'm not mad at him though...and I respect him for not compromising-BUT- he's in grave danger of losing his title as a serious chef with this show...at least to those who don't know how unique and freakishly talented he truly is.

LV

Why are disappointed in him? As a person or as a person with the occupation as a chef ( a well respected chef at that). What would happen if he was seen in the same light after this show ends, professionally I mean?

Belowthebelt

FORT Newbie
    Actually, the show may not affect him professionally as long as he continues to produce fresh and creative menus. I've certainly learned a little more about him- for good or bad.

LV

Excellent job, CaliGirl!

I just can't get it together to watch this show on Sundays, but thankfully the recaps for it are in your clever, capable hands. I hope you'll add me to your contact list when you get published, because I'm already a fan! Thanks for elevating mundane entertainment to another level every week.

I've found also found many of the responses in this thread most illuminating--especially cameradude's post! Thanks for explaining your craft to us laypeople! And anyone who makes a This Mortal Coil / Cocteau twins reference in their post instantly gets my attention!
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast