+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rocco on Conan O'Brien

Rocco on Conan O'Brien

Don't know if anyone else saw it (probably not too many, since no one else posted about it), but Rocco was on Conan O'Brien tonight.

For the benefit of people who missed it/and are fans of The Restaurant, I'll re-cap the Conan appearance here.

First off, it was a straight-up interview, no cooking session with Conan (as he did when he was on Leno). He came in, and before taking he's seat, stood in front of the couch for a sec to scan the audience - he finds who he's looking for and points, and of course it's his mother. He announces "I brought my mother!" as he takes his seat.

Conan talks about how when he first heard commercials for The Restaurant, he was not too impressed. He goes on about how there's tons of reality shows out there, refers to shows where "a bunch of people are stuck up on a mountain with no food, and THAT's exciting TV!" Conan compares that with "A show... about a restaurant... wow, that's so (sarcasm) exciting...", but then admits after watching it, he thought it was pretty compelling TV.

They talk about how Rocco's mom is the restaurant's executive chef, to which Conan asks Rocco if she likes working for him. Before Rocco can even answer, Mama DiSpirito shouts from the crowd seats "Yes of course I do!" Conan jokes that she should be given her own mic, and Rocco adds that she should have her own agent. Rocco says he can't cook any Italian food, and that without his mother, he couldn't have opened his restaurant. He also adds that some of his uncles and aunts (who are also seniors like his mothers age) also work there. He jokes, "I just bend the labor laws to abuse senior citizens, and I don't even have to pay them because they're my relatives."

Conan brings up the fact that the show has a lot of sponsors, and makes fun of the obvious product placements that are always present on The Restaurant: "Can I interest you in a cold refreshing Budweiser (pretends to hold a bottle beside his head, and does a thumbs up with his other hand)? Why, I have some bills to pay, please, put it on my American Express card (pretends to hold a credit card under his chin)!" Rocco jokingly stops him "Hey, don't make fun of American Express, they're my people now." Rocco brings up that sponsors play a role not only in financing just the show, but in some part, the actual operation of the restaurant as well. When Conan asks about how much he thinks he makes from sponsors, Rocco says something along the lines of "I don't know, I let them deal with it, I don't know too much about finances, I'm just the cook!", which I thought was kind of funny since he already said he doesn't cook for the restaurant, and so far we haven't seen him preparing any dishes on the show at all.

The last thing they talk about is how a guy being able to cook is an attractive quality to women. Rocco says "Men who can cook, or can do nurturing things like that come off as more sensitive, and hence more attractive to women." Conan adds some self-depracating humor about how he can't cook. Conan brings up a story about how he once said he'd cook for a date with a college girlfriend, and he wound up preparing hotdogs from a package, but even then he had to call his sister for instructions on how to cook them - "All in all, not a very good date..." (probably not true, but a very funny comment nonetheless).

Overall Rocco talked mostly about the show rather than how the actual restaurant is doing, which I was more interested in hearing. His whole interview was to promote the show, and to a lesser extent, his own celebrity, but not the restaurant itself.

Phew - sorry about the long post, but I hope you fellow The Restaurant viewers enjoy it.
    Last edited by AeroGold1; 08-09-2003 at 05:01 AM.
    When life gives you lemons ...
    you clone those lemons...
    and make SUPER lemons! - Principal Cinnamon J. Scudworth, B.Sci, Mad Sciences

Thanks so much for the recap Aero

"I'm just the cook...".

Yeah, ok Rocco, when are you going to do some cooking?
    "That's Numberwang!"

FORT Newbie
    I saw it last night and thought that it was very funny interview. I was kinda laughing at the way Rocco was sitting, but something I did notice is that Rocco has beautiful skin. I think he is a metrosexual. The eyebrows, the skin, occupation, exercise and art. Yup, he's a metrosexual.

Quote Originally Posted by Belowthebelt
    I saw it last night and thought that it was very funny interview. I was kinda laughing at the way Rocco was sitting, but something I did notice is that Rocco has beautiful skin. I think he is a metrosexual. The eyebrows, the skin, occupation, exercise and art. Yup, he's a metrosexual.
    What exactly do you mean by metrosexual?
    When life gives you lemons ...
    you clone those lemons...
    and make SUPER lemons! - Principal Cinnamon J. Scudworth, B.Sci, Mad Sciences

FORT Not-So Newbie
    Metrosexual: a straight, city dwelling male, who cares about, and is conversant with; fashion, culture, fine food, grooming products...The perfect man!
    See "Queer eye for the straight guy" for a better explanation

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcm
    Metrosexual: a straight, city dwelling male, who cares about, and is conversant with; fashion, culture, fine food, grooming products...The perfect man!
    See "Queer eye for the straight guy" for a better explanation
    Your definition is on the mark, but if we are talking about Rocco- I don't think the "perfect man" part applies. My perfect man would have more respect for women. Especially if they are guests of his!

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by firenze
    Your definition is on the mark, but if we are talking about Rocco- I don't think the "perfect man" part applies. My perfect man would have more respect for women. Especially if they are guests of his!

Something that I have noticed it that people go there on part to see Rocco DiSpirito himself. Those women want to stare and drool over him and he is indeed giving the "customers" what they want, when it comes to the women. He is smart enough to tell which women want to "touch his abs" and which ones want to taste his food. (No pun) Remember that editing makes a difference here, but I think he is "A" metrosexual not the perfect man or perfect metrosexual.

By the way nice definition.

Quote Originally Posted by AeroGold1
    What exactly do you mean by metrosexual?
    It's amazing what you can find by googling!

Metrosexual
    (MET.roh.sek.shoo.ul) n. A dandyish narcissist in love with not only himself, but also his urban lifestyle; a straight man who is in touch with his feminie side.
    For more info see:
    http://www.wordspy.com/words/metrosexual.asp

FORT Newbie
    Metrosexual
    (MET.roh.sek.shoo.ul) n. A dandyish narcissist in love with not only himself, but also his urban lifestyle; a straight man who is in touch with his feminie side.

Going by this definition he is a metrosexual, b/c in his interview with Conan he said he is in touch with his femmie side and very nuturing.

Atop the highhhhhest weathervane in Spain!
    Quote Originally Posted by Belowthebelt
    Something that I have noticed it that people go there on part to see Rocco DiSpirito himself. Those women want to stare and drool over him and he is indeed giving the "customers" what they want, when it comes to the women. He is smart enough to tell which women want to "touch his abs" and which ones want to taste his food. (No pun) Remember that editing makes a difference here, but I think he is "A" metrosexual not the perfect man or perfect metrosexual.

By the way nice definition.
    Well, his radar sure was off with Linda Staci (spl?). Could she have wanted to flee any more? She looked like a deer in headlights. No, check that. A naked deer in headlights.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast