+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interesting article in today's NY Post

FORT Fan

Interesting article in today's NY Post

Below is an interesting article in today's NY Post in which Rocco admits that he comes off looking bad. What is most interesting is that he blames Topher for the bad vibes of the staff..just amazing how he conveniantly forgets that he ridiculed Topher in front of two tables for no reason toher than to get a laugh. Unfortunatley, it seems that he is portrayed in a much nicer light in the next episiodes. To me this is all a set up as his true colors were exposed and I really fear the remaining episodes will turn into a PR loaded lovefest that we all worried about due to the sponsor control.

By DON KAPLAN
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Email Archives
    Print Reprint

August 5, 2003 -- CELEBRITY chefs with their own reality TV shows have their dark moments. Even entire episodes for that matter.
    Ask Rocco DiSpirito, the star of NBC's "The Restaurant" who came out of Sunday's episode looking like a first-class jerk, resented by his waiters and slammed by customers - including Post TV critic Linda Stasi - for serving hot food cold and scrimping on the portions.

But he shrugs it off and says he's made peace with it.

"If I had to worry about everything that everyone said about me I'd be a completely disabled and handicapped human being," DiSpirito told The Post yesterday.

In Sunday's episode of the NBC reality show, which was taped last spring, DiSpirito was seen carousing with customers and posing for pictures while one catastrophe after another unfolds at the restaurant.

He also comes off as callous, rude and disconnected from his huge staff - especially after he sends home, Gideon, a dedicated worker who broke his arm while working at the restaurant.

"He must think himself of some great personality, like he's above this whole game," grumbles Topher, a waiter whom Rocco blames for the problems.

The litany of complaints exploded at a 3:30 a.m. gripe session the staff had after closing that night.

"I think that he's only dealing with guests and that he has no connection to the staff," shrieked an angry staffer.

"I didn't see those people talk about me until [Sunday] night," says DiSpirito. "It's not entirely surprising, but when you're the leader of 75 people, there's bound to be some discussion about you," he says.

"It's a lesson I learned years ago. I try to not let it affect my good judgment."

In the coming episodes, DiSpirito is said to finally earn the respect of his staff.

"This was the dark episode," a production source said. "He was at his worst, but starting next week he takes matters into his own hands."

Meanwhile, after just a couple of months of business, angry former workers from Rocco's are abound in New York. And DiSpirito admits they've lost about 45 percent of the staff since the opening - a normal by-product of opening a new restaurant.

"You typically hire about twice as many people as you need, knowing that it's a brutal process [to open a restaurant] and that it takes a certain kind of person to go through an opening and that's a different kind of person than it takes to walk into an established restaurant and just pick up a system and be a part of it," he says.

Despite the attrition, at least 10 of the original staffers featured on the show as regular characters - including DiSpirito and his mom - are still working at Rocco's.

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Final5
    Below is an interesting article in today's NY Post in which Rocco admits that he comes off looking bad. What is most interesting is that he blames Topher for the bad vibes of the staff..just amazing how he conveniantly forgets that he ridiculed Topher in front of two tables for no reason toher than to get a laugh. Unfortunatley, it seems that he is portrayed in a much nicer light in the next episiodes. To me this is all a set up as his true colors were exposed and I really fear the remaining episodes will turn into a PR loaded lovefest that we all worried about due to the sponsor control.

SNIP
    Would have been nice if we knew we would be fired before hand
    Last edited by John; 08-05-2003 at 09:45 PM.

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by zenial
    Would have been nice if we knew we would be fired before hand

what was the resaon you were given for being fired? did you think it was justified?

LG.
    it's nice to know he didn't fire his Mom :rolleyes
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

FORT Regular
    what was the resaon you were given for being fired? did you think it was justified?
    The reason I recieved for being fired was that I was not learning fast enough. Ok sounds reasonable enough. But let me say this, first of all the night before I recieved a guest compliment commending my service, and Laurant told me a was doing a very good job, but had to work on my bussing skills. Fair assesment I suck at bussing, but we rarely bus. For me the personal BS started on day one. The first Three days we were open they had me running after being told I was hired as a server. I was finally allowed to serve. My first day serving I had 3 tables it was very very slow and raining i had the patio. The day after that I was told I would be a back waiter (busser) i could not handle waiting come on, you saw other waiters. I know it sounds like I suck and am in denial, you must believe me this is not the case. I have been waiting for years with nothing praise. So I "back waited" for 2 days then aparantly they relized that it was ridiculous I was bussing and let me serve. Then X amount of days later I was fired. Now you need to know there was NO indication I would be let go, on the contrary I recieved mothing but praise for my captians including Uzay and Collieen. I have a wealth of speculations as to why I was fired. The most likely reason for my being fired is that they had to fire people no matter what and I did not look the part. FINE, but don't tell me i'm not learning fast enough when I had been doing anything but serving.

Again the fact still remains that I may be in denial about my serving ability, but I have evidance to the contrary.

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by zenial
    The reason I recieved for being fired was that I was not learning fast enough. Ok sounds reasonable enough. But let me say this, first of all the night before I recieved a guest compliment commending my service, and Laurant told me a was doing a very good job, but had to work on my bussing skills. Fair assesment I suck at bussing, but we rarely bus. For me the personal BS started on day one. The first Three days we were open they had me running after being told I was hired as a server. I was finally allowed to serve. My first day serving I had 3 tables it was very very slow and raining i had the patio. The day after that I was told I would be a back waiter (busser) i could not handle waiting come on, you saw other waiters. I know it sounds like I suck and am in denial, you must believe me this is not the case. I have been waiting for years with nothing praise. So I "back waited" for 2 days then aparantly they relized that it was ridiculous I was bussing and let me serve. Then X amount of days later I was fired. Now you need to know there was NO indication I would be let go, on the contrary I recieved mothing but praise for my captians including Uzay and Collieen. I have a wealth of speculations as to why I was fired. The most likely reason for my being fired is that they had to fire people no matter what and I did not look the part. FINE, but don't tell me i'm not learning fast enough when I had been doing anything but serving.

Again the fact still remains that I may be in denial about my serving ability, but I have evidance to the contrary.

I am leaning towards believing you since Rocco seems obsessed with people's looks (why else would he give Caroline chance after chance) and you would not be the first guy to be fired for being too ugly. You kind of remind me of a small version of Mick Foley. The sad thing is that most folks here care more about personality then looks. It would be interesting to hear Uzay's take..unless his is a company man and afraid to give his opinion.

FORT Regular
    I am leaning towards believing you since Rocco seems obsessed with people's looks (why else would he give Caroline chance after chance) and you would not be the first guy to be fired for being too ugly. You kind of remind me of a small version of Mick Foley. The sad thing is that most folks here care more about personality then looks. It would be interesting to hear Uzay's take..unless his is a company man and afraid to give his opinion.
    whoa whoa whoa I never said ugly, did I say ugly, did I post ugly

Metallica Fanatic breathless4975's Avatar
    Very interesting article.
    There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. - Albert Schweitzer

The most thoroughly wasted of all days is that on which one has not laughed.

If I accept the sunshine and warmth, then I must also accept the thunder and lightening.

The Real Thing

Company Man?

Brian,
    Go Sox!! You need to find a job quick bro, you got too much time to spend on this site. First, let me say this, I love you and I think you are an incredibly passionate person. You are an OK waiter. The level of service needed to work in a place that does 400 covers every night and not make a stink to management is something that one acquires by working at places like Rocco's and keeping their mouth shut about how crazy it is. You my friend are a mid level server with huge charm, but you like to let the management know too much about what is going on in your head and heart. You have to understand that 90% of restaurants in NY will require min. 2 years NYC experience before they even accept a resume. It's a different beast here. It's not just technical skill and and savvy but a certain mindset that makes a good nyc waiter. A really thick skin. The type you build from going to 100 auditions and being told you suck at 90 of them. Does that make sense?

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Uzay
    Brian,
    Go Sox!! You need to find a job quick bro, you got too much time to spend on this site. First, let me say this, I love you and I think you are an incredibly passionate person. You are an OK waiter. The level of service needed to work in a place that does 400 covers every night and not make a stink to management is something that one acquires by working at places like Rocco's and keeping their mouth shut about how crazy it is. You my friend are a mid level server with huge charm, but you like to let the management know too much about what is going on in your head and heart. You have to understand that 90% of restaurants in NY will require min. 2 years NYC experience before they even accept a resume. It's a different beast here. It's not just technical skill and and savvy but a certain mindset that makes a good nyc waiter. A really thick skin. The type you build from going to 100 auditions and being told you suck at 90 of them. Does that make sense?
    Oh. I get it they don't actually want you to speak your mind. If something goes wrong you keep your moth shut, that's what makes a good server. I get it. For a second I thought it was about making my customers happy, which i did. But your right "fine dining" is not for me, it's ALL about steps of service, this fork that fork, god forbid you have fun. I wouldn't eat at a "nice restaurant" now I realize that I wouldn't want to work at a "nice restaurant". Fine dining service is about the wrong thing, the service not the people. I thought when I signed on that Rocco's was different Applebee's/Fine dining a really cool concept I thought. But alas it's not. It's the same "fine dining" establishment you'll find in everyother metro city in the world, but it was on T.V.

P.S A note on "fine dining" (lots of people will disagree with)
    People like to spend more money when ever they get the chance. I get the same level of service at Applebee's and Friday's that you would get a any "nice" place the food is just as good, granted there are excptions to both sides. People spend money on GAP jeans when they could get any jeans half the price that will last as long but they wouldn't have got the chance to spend all that money, and they wouldn't have the giant cool logo. No rich person would eat caviar if it was dirt cheap. People pay lots of money for smoke and mirrors. I see people writing 15$ for spag and meatballs what a deal HUH?. Now the meatballs were delicious but no more than my grandma's

wow...sorry about that

Anyway Uzay you coming out tonight to Lola's thing

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast