+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Would you work for Rocco?

FORT Fogey

Would you work for Rocco?

Let's say you were a starving actor and you heard about an opening at a restaurant that would not only allow you to earn a meager living but would get you on camera for the exposure that would turn you into a minor celebrity almost instantly albeit briefly.

Would it be worth it to work long hours and be subjected to the derision of Rocco and the constant risk of being demoted to "runner" if you don't appear to be doing your job according to his expectations just to get "face time?"

How long would you do it for?

I suppose if I were desperate for fame and wanted to do it for kicks, I'd be more than willing to work at Rocco's. The only drawback might be the "starving actor" aspect of it. It doesn't appear that these waiters are making much money, but the up side is they're getting a lot of exposure.

I have never worked in the food service business, but I am guessing that working in any restaurant in any capacity can be tough. If you're going to be working in this field, anyway, you might as well grab a little gusto on the journey. I think these employees had a lot of fun taping this show, difficulties notwithstanding.

I'd do it as long as it paid the rent. If the cameras went away and Rocco was still being a jerk, I'd probably look for work somewhere else.

Maybe someone who has worked as a waiter would know if these working conditions are typical of the industry.
    Last edited by mimi; 08-04-2003 at 11:12 AM.

Fade to black
    I think a lot of people are rushing to formulate opinions much too quickly. Sure Rocco looks like an ass at times, but if you ask me some of the wait staff acts immature and spoiled. That certainly doesn't warrant the attitude, but I think the blame lies on both halves and not just Rocco.
    I know someday you'll have a beautiful life, I know you'll be a star in somebody else's eyes... but why... why... why can't it be me?

Atop the highhhhhest weathervane in Spain!
    Hmmmm. Put myself in the shoes you gave me above and I might. I mean, even though Rocco (to me) comes off as an ass, it's not like they have to spend that much time with him. I say go for your fifteen minutes and let the chips fall where they may.

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by MajiH
    Hmmmm. Put myself in the shoes you gave me above and I might. I mean, even though Rocco (to me) comes off as an ass, it's not like they have to spend that much time with him. I say go for your fifteen minutes and let the chips fall where they may.

to me, Mama is the real ass...she could be a soothing pressense to the harried staff, but instead is more interested in looking like the stereotypical old italian mama. She is as cold as her son. I would not be surprised if after the cameras turn off, she starts cursing like a sailor in a deep brooklyn accent.

FORT Fogey
    In a second.

Seeing how I'm not a whiny, loser with no food service skills at all, I doubt I would have made the initial cut though. Hell, I don't even have a website which seems to be the toolish thing de jour.

FORT Newbie
    I have to put my 2 cents in...Most of the people who worked at Rocco's while the shoot was going on were in the food service industry prior to taking the job...yes some of them are aspiring actors/actresses, but almost every 20 something waiter in New York wants to grow up to be something else! The back of house staff (kitchen) all have extensive experience in the industry. Most of the wait staff had been working in other restaurants and left the jobs to work for Rocco. Big mistake in my book....I hear the self-centered chef has not paid his staff in a while!

Quote Originally Posted by Final5
    to me, Mama is the real ass...she could be a soothing pressense to the harried staff, but instead is more interested in looking like the stereotypical old italian mama.
    I have to be honest and say that, to me, Mama comes off as senile! Her son has turned her into some kind of freaky side show to market his restaurant. I don't think she knows what is going on half the time. She's 78 for God's sake! But like I saod, that's just me.

Yarrrrrrhhh!!!
    I wouldn't work for that jerk or eat at his messed up restaurant.
    Just Paint!

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by NoHoArtist
    I wouldn't work for that jerk or eat at his messed up restaurant.
    HAHAHAHA

That's a good way of putting it. Of course I agree with all of you, but did the applicants know ahead of time that they would be part of a television show? I'm assuming that they did, and that the exposure was very important to them. Rocco possibly took advantage of that.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast