+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Laurent - Manager

Quote Originally Posted by ChefWinduAZ
    Just an observation but I would never tell someone who will be bringing out food to customers, to clean toilets. There were enough health and labor violations the first two nights to close the place down.

Good point.

I know I'm probably wrong when I say this, but I really got the impression that it was no accident that he asked Gideon of all people to do the cleaning.
    I don't think he likes Gideon (possibly with good reason, I don't know).

I'm no doubt falling victim of the Mark Burnett editing "machine" again.
    I'm his puppet through every season of Survivor.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Quote Originally Posted by ChefWinduAZ
    Just an observation but I would never tell someone who will be bringing out food to customers, to clean toilets. There were enough health and labor violations the first two nights to close the place down.
    I could be wrong here, but I thought they yanked Gideon off waiter duty that night and told him he'd be the runner. (Is that the term they used?) I don't think he was cleaning bathrooms and then serving food.

Quote Originally Posted by mimi
    I could be wrong here, but I thought they yanked Gideon off waiter duty that night and told him he'd be the runner. (Is that the term they used?) I don't think he was cleaning bathrooms and then serving food.
    I don't know if this is the way that Rocco's does it, but the way I was trained is that a waiter takes orders, fills drinks and checks up on their tables. A runner brings the food to the table and clears the table.

Gideon was "training to be a runner" that night. He was not going to actually be a runner, or even touch food. Rocco specifically told him that he was simply to observe the runners.

Quote Originally Posted by PIMguy
    This guy does his job very well. And by that I mean he is the guy that the employees hate.
    What's this, management rules from the Dark Ages? I get your point -- he's the bad cop and Rocco's the good cop. And while I believe that employees need clear expectations and sometimes a tight rein, they also need to be respected, valued and listened to. Or the results are what we saw in the last episode: resentment and bitterness that will ultimately wreck productivity.
    I had one boss who picked on a different server every day -- following, nitpicking, criticizing. When my turn came I hustled harder than I ever had just to avoid the harping. It didn't work. He berated me in front of customers until I took off my apron (in the middle of lunch rush) and quit on the spot.
    His ranting was normal for the industry, but his turnover was something like 50 percent. Dumb.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

A Random Foot Kitty Throw Champion PIMguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by candor
    they also need to be respected, valued and listened to.
    Recipe for disaster. Employees need to do their jobs and do them well. And the boss defines what "well" means. End of story.

Okay, don't hit me. I'm not being serious. I think Laurent goes too far with his hardass act. But he will continue to act like that until Rocco tells him it's hurting business. So, yes, it's Rocco's fault, if in fact it's a problem. I haven't seen enough to say it's a problem. Perhaps the employees that he has (a bunch of wannabe actors) need a strong hand to keep them focused on the job at hand, serving the customers not auditioning.

There is no way in hell I could work for this guy.He seems really mean,and it would be hard to work for someone you dislike as intensely as I am sure I would dislike him.
    Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm.

FORT Fan
    I wonder if Gideon being Jewish has anything to do with Laurant being particularly nasty with him. He really has seemed to single Gideon out for demeaning tasks and his comment when gideon injured his elbow was beneath contempt. "That's life, go home" is not a manager being tough, it is a guy who is a complete asshole with no respect for others,just being himself.

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Final5
    I wonder if Gideon being Jewish has anything to do with Laurant being particularly nasty with him. He really has seemed to single Gideon out for demeaning tasks and his comment when gideon injured his elbow was beneath contempt. "That's life, go home" is not a manager being tough, it is a guy who is a complete asshole with no respect for others,just being himself.

Ok let me say this about Laurant, he is an excelent manager. He does come off very harsh on the show but that is not the whole story. I think even Gideon would tell you that. Also this is coming from someone who was fired my him.

NEWSFLASH Angry Frech Manager slaughters editors, bakes them into nice zuchini quiche

Quote Originally Posted by zenial
    Ok let me say this about Laurant, he is an excelent manager. He does come off very harsh on the show but that is not the whole story. I think even Gideon would tell you that. Also this is coming from someone who was fired my him.

this is from Gideon's website - the joys of editing part 26 I guess but boy he, Rocco and ALL the restaraunt staff got raked over the coals yesterday

"I really want to defend Lerant here. I know the show is making him out to seem like a complete asshole, but you have to trust me, he is the nicest guy they have working there. Yes, I was pissed at him but the next day it was all cleared up. He admitted he made a mistake and life went on. Lerant is a great manager."

Apparently Gideon still works there also :chef
    everybody has the right to speak their mind, so don't shoot me if I speak mine- ray davies

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast