+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Topher

Quote Originally Posted by hazyshadeof
    Is it professional to spend half your time whining about how bad things are?
    That's probably the same attitude that Rocco had, which is why people keep quitting. Acknowledging that the restaurant is a train wreck and that management is asleep at the switch isn't "whining," it's the first step toward fixing a problem.
    Because the place had no leadership, it fell to the staff to try to improve things. That's an impossible scenario as any management expert would agree -- the workers had responsibility but no authority.
    Topher was the only one taking initiative (and risk) to try to fix the problem.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

FORT Newbie
    I am in kind of two minds about Topher. On one hand, I think he was a really good server and his comment to Pete that he couldn't believe that he just kept talking was priceless. On the other hand this is still the first week of a huge undertaking and that's is pretty quick to make permanent decisions from. Organizing the others to get their issues out? If you have problems, go see your manager. Let them organize the meeting. I worked food service many moons ago and moved on later to a lab that was even crazier. I hated people who constantly complained especially early on. It is called work. If it was supposed to be fun all the time, they would call it something else.

Lurky McLurkington
    In the glittery & glamorous city of Chicago
    I just wanted to say that despite his whining, I REALLY liked Topher and I was SO SAD to see him leave last night. He was probably my favorite waiter out of all of them. However, After reading this thread, I can kind of see his whiny side, but like someone else said, he did try to initiate change (although it was a little misdirected ie, Staff not Rocco). Anyways! That's all, Just thought I would add my two cents

Quote Originally Posted by fluff
    I think we're all well aware of editing, particularly in any show that has anything to do with Mark Burnett.
    Topher wasn't exactly pleased that she had been given the Vespa, either was Uzay or anyone else who found out about it.

The Vespa probably wasn't the single issue that made him quit, but I imagine it was just another thing that made him feel undervalued and made him want to get the hell out.
    When they found out about the vespa they all cried like little kids. Why in the hell were they mad? So what Rocco gave the girl a bike. They acted like spoiled rotten kids plain and simple!

Also, it's NONE OF THEIR BUSINESS what Rocco gives to another employee.

A vespa costs about $3000. So its no mere bike! I thought that was really crappy of Rocco - because she quits and not only does she get a $3000 bonus but also got a salaried job. Dollars to donuts, since they've been complaining about the tips that's what they are annoyed at. And it would be pretty tough to be busting your tail at something and see someone who just leaves (doesn't even give notice or warn anyone) get rewarded. I don't blame Topher for leaving at all. He seemed like a great server who worked his tail off. I got the feeling that even if Rocco had offered him something he would have left anyway. Don't forget, Rocco called him a f*kup to Topher's customers. Not walking off at that moment showed him to be a true professional to me!

Quote Originally Posted by BBfan

Of course it isn't.
    I think it's understandable they were upset though, given their own situations.
    I don't think Lola appeared to have it any tougher than anyone else.
    "That's Numberwang!"

I'm glad Topher? is gone, all the guy did was complain, complain, complain, about every dam thing. Let him be a PROFESSIONAL some place else.

Quote Originally Posted by BBfan
    When they found out about the vespa they all cried like little kids. Why in the hell were they mad? So what Rocco gave the girl a bike. They acted like spoiled rotten kids plain and simple!

I beg to differ on this point. Given the situation, as it appeared on this "non scripted drama" I would have been somewhat upset myself, especially if I were Topher. Here is a server who is busting his a**, cares abour his guests, cares about the restaurant, and from what I have seen appears to be one of the top servers at Roccos. He is called a f****up by Rocco in front of the guests, sees another employee quit (who also appears to be a great employee) that get brought back and rewarded. Is he mad at or jealous of her? Not in my opinion. He should be tickled to death to get a good bartender back so he can get his drinks for his tables. He is probably thinking that his efforts are not appreciated by Rocco and why should he care and give 110% to someone who could give a crap less? Didn't Rocco just tell him that he loved him in an earlier episode and now treats him this way?

The only remotely positive comment about the restaurant that's been shown at all was the tall guy in the first bitch session, Rocco himself is shown repeatedly saying how bad things are going and his investor brought him to caution him about the disaster at Rocco's and yet people on here continue to say that the staff are whiny and unprofessional. Pleaseeeeeeeee you can pretend all you want but the fact is EVERYONE there felt like they were in hell and who is gonna say something positve at that point; certainly not Laurent who tried to quit and he's the manager. I am sure a number of positive moments never got past the most preliminary stages of editing but for all those who are saying "shut up and work" I'm wondering if your co-workers might not have a story or twelve about you when the stress level was high, the positive reinforcements completely absent and the income slight in your workforce.
    everybody has the right to speak their mind, so don't shoot me if I speak mine- ray davies

FORT Newbie
    Topher didn't leave Rocco anywhere to go with his resignation, if you believe he wanted them to ask him back. If you start off by saying that the place makes you miserable and you're not going to put up with that, then they're not going to say, "Hey, why don't you come back?" They're going to respect that and trust that he means it, especially when we know that they genuninely dug having him on staff.

Frankly, for all of his bitching about what was wrong with the restaurant, he was never shown making any specific, constructive recommendations to Rocco or the other managers. He should have had a specific conversation with Rocco about the "f*** up" comment, but he didn't. He also didn't use his respected position in the restaurant to help out Gideon, either. They would have listened to him if he had scheduled a quiet time to speak with the French guy and Rocco about his concerns.

That bartender only got the Vespa since she communicated her specific concerns about the operation of the restaurant and asked for specific things...the changes AND the Vespa. Voila! She got it...and a better job.

In all this, she's the real pro and most everyone else is a friggin' whiner.

Rotophonic
    Last edited by John; 08-18-2003 at 11:05 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast