+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 75

Thread: Topher

  1. #31
    I think I have a clue 1083's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    217
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi
    I'm not sure this is actually a debate forum, so you may be in the wrong place if you're trying to spark an argument. People are posting their comments and OPINIONS on here, so the fact that a few posts have rubbed you the wrong way in the past shouldn't be taken as a personal affront by you. The thrust of your earlier post seemed directed more towards the poster than the facts you now allege were your main points.

    But since you invited responses to your 3 points, I'll take you up on it. I've already told you what I think about your first point.

    As far as your second point, I don't cut anyone any slack merely because they accepted a chance to go on national television as an unpaid actor. They knew up front they weren't being paid and they're getting incredible exposure. They're also open to any interpretation we, as the television audience, choose to view them in, and this forum is just one of many arenas where we can share our opinions, good or bad, and hopefully without being subjected to degradation from people who disagree with us.

    As far as your third point, I'll have to pass on making any comment simply because I don't read specicalized weekly periodicals, especially gay ones. I'll simply take your word on it.
    I believe it is "degradation" that I am objecting to- if telling someone (who by the way MANAGED two decently respected NYC eateries) they have no skills isn't degradation than I am absolutely unclear exactly what that word means in your dictionary. For example, simply because she has the audacity to like Rocco and post repeted times saying so (not that I REMOTELY like Rocco) does Ms.Tres Mulder need to be called " a stalker" in the Rocco thread? I just think personal digs (and again all the posts I objected to spoke directly TO the person she was flaming) are unattractive no matter what your opinion is . I find it perplexing that you say "we can share our opinions" and then turn around and tell me both that I'm on the wrong forum and that my opinions are unnwarranted, apparently I'm not part of that sharing process in your mind.

    Speaking of degradation, what exactly was meant by "I don't read specialized weekly periodicals, especially gay ones" - are you saying there is something especially wrong with newspapers that cover GLBTQ issues? By the by, specialized newspapers (whether they cover antiques, fishing, line dancing, government conspiracies etc) actually are more than 50% of the printed market (though many are free and few sell large numbers of copies) so perhaps you want to rethink your rejection of an entire sub section of American media.
    everybody has the right to speak their mind, so don't shoot me if I speak mine- ray davies

  2. #32
    FORT Newbie
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    15
    1083,
    Point taken. I did make some comments directly to the above mentioned poster, that I wasn't proud of. I let her "get my goat" so to speak. I was so inflamed by some of her responses that I forgot that this isn't about me- it's a tv show. Sorry if I got out of hand.

  3. #33
    The race is back! John's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    On the mat
    Age
    44
    Posts
    40,432
    Speaking of degradation, what exactly was meant by "I don't read specialized weekly periodicals, especially gay ones" - are you saying there is something especially wrong with newspapers that cover GLBTQ issues?
    Oh, come on...step away from the bong. You're reading WAAAAAAY too much into a comment.

    And for clarification purposes, people who appear on reality TV are open for opinions - whether they are founded or not (thus the reason we call them opinions). Whether they happen to be here reading and posting makes absolutely no difference - the fact remains that they are on my TV, and I can say what I want about them.

    Now, if they take offense to those opinions and insult me (or any member), they will be subject to the same rules we impose on the rest of our members. If you recently followed the LCS forum, you would know that I had to temporarily ban one of the contestants from the show for violating our site rules and calling another member an a-hole for his opinions. Sure, his opinions were crude and slightly rude, and I didn't agree with them, but he was following the rules.

    This discussion is useless and repetitive - it happens every single show where there are contestants hanging around (which seems more and more common the larger we get), and my answer is always the same....They're welcome to hang around, and sure, we love to hear their side of the story whenever possible, but that's not what this site is about, and contestants don't have free reign on the site to do as they please.

  4. #34
    FORT Fan mimi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    362
    Quote Originally Posted by 1083
    Speaking of degradation, what exactly was meant by "I don't read specialized weekly periodicals, especially gay ones" - are you saying there is something especially wrong with newspapers that cover GLBTQ issues? By the by, specialized newspapers (whether they cover antiques, fishing, line dancing, government conspiracies etc) actually are more than 50% of the printed market (though many are free and few sell large numbers of copies) so perhaps you want to rethink your rejection of an entire sub section of American media.
    Surely by virtue of the fact that you are a professional debate coach you should have reviewed what I said more carefully before you assumed I was degrading you and then accused me of saying there's something wrong with gay newspapers. But perhaps you're a little sensitive about specialized weekly periodicals involving GLBTQ issues?

    I didn't reject an entire sub section of American media. I merely said I don't read specialized weekly periodicals. And just because they constitute "more than 50% of the printed market" does not mean they are necessarily widely read. I suspect most of them line the parakeet cages.

    But just to keep this thread on track, I thought the interview was fairly informative and quite interesting. I kind of wish I had a hard copy of it, though. I always clean the bird cage on Thursday.

  5. #35
    FORT Regular
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    53
    Quote Originally Posted by John
    Oh, come on...step away from the bong. You're reading WAAAAAAY too much into a comment.

    And for clarification purposes, people who appear on reality TV are open for opinions - whether they are founded or not (thus the reason we call them opinions). Whether they happen to be here reading and posting makes absolutely no difference - the fact remains that they are on my TV, and I can say what I want about them.

    Now, if they take offense to those opinions and insult me (or any member), they will be subject to the same rules we impose on the rest of our members. If you recently followed the LCS forum, you would know that I had to temporarily ban one of the contestants from the show for violating our site rules and calling another member an a-hole for his opinions. Sure, his opinions were crude and slightly rude, and I didn't agree with them, but he was following the rules.

    This discussion is useless and repetitive - it happens every single show where there are contestants hanging around (which seems more and more common the larger we get), and my answer is always the same....They're welcome to hang around, and sure, we love to hear their side of the story whenever possible, but that's not what this site is about, and contestants don't have free reign on the site to do as they please.

    Ok this is your ball and your going home, fine. But think ANYONE should get to say ANYTHING I think most of us can handle name calling without the help of a moderator, but like I said it is your ball.

    If he was fowllowing the rules why was he banned at all.
    Last edited by zenial; 08-07-2003 at 04:21 PM.

  6. #36
    That's all folks! Unklescott's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Dublin, OH
    Posts
    26,558
    Quote Originally Posted by zenial
    If he was fowllowing the rules why was he banned at all.
    If you could read John's post correctly, you would see that he said the person who WAS CALLED THE A**HOLE WAS FOLLOWING THE RULES, NOT THE PERSON WHO CALLED HIM THAT (one of the contestants) AND WHO WAS IN TURN BANNED.

  7. #37
    Yoffy lifts a finger... fluff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    43,485
    So, about Topher, as I said in his thread, I find him to be highly professional and very personable.

    The applicants were told that they would be on film, which no doubt lead to some vastly underqualified people showing interest.

    Whether Topher is simply there as a way of getting his face seen for future acting work or not, I don't see that it's getting in the way of him doing a damn good job for Rocco, for which he clearly isn't being fully appreciated.
    "That's Numberwang!"

  8. #38
    FORT Regular
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    53
    Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott
    If you could read John's post correctly, you would see that he said the person who WAS CALLED THE A**HOLE WAS FOLLOWING THE RULES, NOT THE PERSON WHO CALLED HIM THAT (one of the contestants) AND WHO WAS IN TURN BANNED.
    Well I apologize.

  9. #39
    Loaded God Complex MajiH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Atop the highhhhhest weathervane in Spain!
    Posts
    5,798
    Quote Originally Posted by zenial
    Ok this is your ball and your going home, fine. But think ANYONE should get to say ANYTHING I think most of us can handle name calling without the help of a moderator, but like I said it is your ball.
    Um, Zenial? It isn't just John's ball. This (spreads arms wide) is his whole damned playground. As a result, he can do as he wishes with it. He and the mods do a fabulous job based on what I see here on a day to day basis.

    As far as the name calling goes, I for one would not hang out here very long if all the posts were one "Hey, a**hole!" after another. Hell, I can get that at BOLT. So, as it were, it may not be Rocco's but the FORT is infinately more fun!

    John? Where did you put my bong?

  10. #40
    That's all folks! Unklescott's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Dublin, OH
    Posts
    26,558
    Quote Originally Posted by fluff
    So, about Topher, as I said in his thread, I find him to be highly professional and very personable.

    The applicants were told that they would be on film, which no doubt lead to some vastly underqualified people showing interest.

    Whether Topher is simply there as a way of getting his face seen for future acting work or not, I don't see that it's getting in the way of him doing a damn good job for Rocco, for which he clearly isn't being fully appreciated.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.