+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Topher

He readily admitted he was there for the face time, but IMO he busted his a** and appears to be a dedicated, hard working, level headed young man who knows what he wants!

FORT Fogey
    This interview is about thirty questions too long. I think Metro Weekly went a bit over-the-top with space and praise for this D-list fame-seeker.

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Deep Dish
    This interview is about thirty questions too long. I think Metro Weekly went a bit over-the-top with space and praise for this D-list fame-seeker.
    Oh yea I see where your coming from. Only prople who are really really famous deserve to have their opinions shared.

Quote Originally Posted by zenial
    Oh yea I see where your coming from. Only prople who are really really famous deserve to have their opinions shared.
    I agree wholeheartedly with you, Zenial! I'd like to hear more opinions from waiters. You're a waiter, aren't you? Can you add anything to the interview? Or maybe answer the same questions in your own words? It would be really great to get your slant on things, too. We can always read opinions and interviews of really, really famous people in the trade rags, and that gets old pretty fast. Let's hear more from the waiters!

rudeness is never a virtue

Deep dish if you don't like the show, stop watching it. If you didn't like the article you maybe wasted a grand total of five minutes of your life and I am sure you will recover from it but I am unclear why you are being so INCREDIBLY vituperative and really wish you would chill out. NBC/Mark Burnett/Rocco turned some cameras on and asked people to stand in front of them annd people did- what a shock. I think all parties knew going in that part of the reason why this might be a good thing was that 125% of the staff were also going to be actors (the extra 25% is for the inevitable over the top attitudes/actions etc to get screen time) and that's what they got- waiters as actors as waiters. Since the staff didn't get ANY pay as actors they are essentially using maximized exposure as comp, I can't blaim them for that under the circumstances . It's obvious that they made a financially dangerous choice by giving up solid paying jobs to get that exposure and now they OFFICIALLY are starving artists. These people are trying to pay the rent, give them a break- it's obvious Rocco surely didn't. As for the article, it's tuff filling up a gay weekly with material and I'm sure they were very pleased with Topher. I actually wish the interview was longer because I wanted to know why he hated Springfield so much....
    everybody has the right to speak their mind, so don't shoot me if I speak mine- ray davies

Good grief! Deep Dish's comment was hardly vituperative. Such drama! Is his opinion less valid than yours simply because you don't agree with it? Perhaps YOU need to chill out.
    Last edited by mimi; 08-07-2003 at 11:53 AM.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by 1083
    Deep dish if you don't like the show, stop watching it. If you didn't like the article you maybe wasted a grand total of five minutes of your life and I am sure you will recover from it but I am unclear why you are being so INCREDIBLY vituperative and really wish you would chill out. NBC/Mark Burnett/Rocco turned some cameras on and asked people to stand in front of them annd people did- what a shock. I think all parties knew going in that part of the reason why this might be a good thing was that 125% of the staff were also going to be actors (the extra 25% is for the inevitable over the top attitudes/actions etc to get screen time) and that's what they got- waiters as actors as waiters. Since the staff didn't get ANY pay as actors they are essentially using maximized exposure as comp, I can't blaim them for that under the circumstances . It's obvious that they made a financially dangerous choice by giving up solid paying jobs to get that exposure and now they OFFICIALLY are starving artists. These people are trying to pay the rent, give them a break- it's obvious Rocco surely didn't. As for the article, it's tuff filling up a gay weekly with material and I'm sure they were very pleased with Topher. I actually wish the interview was longer because I wanted to know why he hated Springfield so much....
    I don't think you understand the purpose of these message boards. We are free to express anything we want about the shows or the participants whether it be negative, positive or neutral, and everyone who appears on these shows is fair game.

However, to tell a poster to stop watching a show because they comment on it in a way not to your liking is simply not condoned here.

Atop the highhhhhest weathervane in Spain!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1083
    vituperative
    It's too early for the dictionary today. Vitamin, Vitrol....oh, I need more coffee.

Its obvious that my previous post has angered some people and for that I apologize. Below I will detail exactly why I chose to post what I said but I want to say this up front- the fans of reality forum complex is an incredibly well run resource and is only one of two forums on the ENTIRE internet that I post on (the other is a debate forum and I do happen to be a debate coach by profession ) and I value that it really enforces its rules. I have read a number of CaliGirl's posts on THE AMAZING RACE forum and find them insightful, interesting and just another reason why I spend time here. I simply happen to disagree with her on this point and that in no way detracts from my admiration for her.

The individual I responded to has now posted three broadsides directly against the waiters and continually engages in personal attacks like the classic unleashed in the post I responded to; "Metro Weekly went a bit over-the-top with space and praise for this D-list fame-seeker" - I think I very much understand what these forums are for and it would sadden me if they are simply to make personal swipes (this now being the third by this poster in The Restaraunt Forum) against people who ARE in fact posters on this board. I will grant straight out that people place themselves up for comment when they appear on a tv show but hopefully that doesn't justify vitriol as a method of communication (for instance REGARDLESS of what you think of Topher's choices on this show or his status in the echelon of americana celebrities, why should his views on growing up in Waterloo be edited out because you don't care for him, I hope we are all interested in listening to EVERYONE'S story) . I am more than willing to edit a couple lines (particularly the don't watch comment) of my last post if I am given permission to do so but on the other hand I continue to object to repeated postings that devolve into personal attacks.

I posted because I wanted to do three things- 1. ask this poster to tone down the personal venom being displayed 2. make a point about the fact that although everyone knew actors would fill the staff spots, the staff didn't get compensated as actors and we therefore as a community might want to cut them slack and 3. to point out that specialized weeklys are always looking for ways to fill space and thus it's no surprise they had a lengthy interview with Topher. It's probably best to skip over the first item, but I invite people to comment on #2 and 3 because I didn't post simply out of boredom or anger -I wanted to hear what people had to say in response.

Peace, 1083
    Last edited by 1083; 08-07-2003 at 01:23 PM.
    everybody has the right to speak their mind, so don't shoot me if I speak mine- ray davies

I'm not sure this is actually a debate forum, so you may be in the wrong place if you're trying to spark an argument. People are posting their comments and OPINIONS on here, so the fact that a few posts have rubbed you the wrong way in the past shouldn't be taken as a personal affront by you. The thrust of your earlier post seemed directed more towards the poster than the facts you now allege were your main points.

But since you invited responses to your 3 points, I'll take you up on it. I've already told you what I think about your first point.

As far as your second point, I don't cut anyone any slack merely because they accepted a chance to go on national television as an unpaid actor. They knew up front they weren't being paid and they're getting incredible exposure. They're also open to any interpretation we, as the television audience, choose to view them in, and this forum is just one of many arenas where we can share our opinions, good or bad, and hopefully without being subjected to degradation from people who disagree with us.

As far as your third point, I'll have to pass on making any comment simply because I don't read specicalized weekly periodicals, especially gay ones. I'll simply take your word on it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast