+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: "The Restaurant" Recap - "Nights to Remember"

FORT Fan
    Cali,

awesome recap! The meatball guy barbs were so funny! One thing, I was wondering if anyone noticed that when "Mr. Meatball kicks is up a notch by saying, “Getting dinner here is like pulling teeth from a friggin’ cow” The producers immediately panned to the lady on his left stuffing her face..was this on purpose?

Tracker, a tip is an *elective* gratuity for superb service, and is up to the patron to decide.

Some resources for those so inclined:

http://www.tipping.org/tips/TipsPageWorldRates.html

http://www.free-trip-tips.com/restau.../TIP60x147.htm

http://www.tipping.org/tips/TipsPageRestaurant.html

http://allsands.com/Money/dinningtipping_umu_gn.htm

FORT Regular
    Would someone tell the goverment that tipping is "elective" because they have chosen to allow us to only be paid 2.63 per hour. So no tipping is not an elective. 20% tipping is elective. 10% is the Absolute minimum unless the service is non-exsistant. If there is any service at all you must tip.

FORT Regular
    15% is the bare minimum I tip, even if the service is mediocre. That is a job that sucks and gets very little respect from society at large. Don't dump on your waiter.

You can't just blindly follow a percentage structure, at some point the tip has to equal the service and just because a place charges more shouldn't reflect on the server. For instance, wouldn't a waitress at the local truck stop or Waffle House work just as hard but since the prices are so much lower, wouldn't make as much on a percentage basis as someone wating tables at a chichi restauran'? If I stay an hour and rack up $600 from ordering from the expensive menu and leave a $60 tip, I would think that would be plenty. Do YOU make $60 an hour? If so, do you consider yourself underpaid?

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Xantham Gum
    You can't just blindly follow a percentage structure, at some point the tip has to equal the service and just because a place charges more shouldn't reflect on the server. For instance, wouldn't a waitress at the local truck stop or Waffle House work just as hard but since the prices are so much lower, wouldn't make as much on a percentage basis as someone wating tables at a chichi restauran'? If I stay an hour and rack up $600 from ordering from the expensive menu and leave a $60 tip, I would think that would be plenty. Do YOU make $60 an hour? If so, do you consider yourself underpaid?
    I hear you but people that sell BMW's make more than those who sell. toyota's. Always have always will.

Also it's not only the grunt work that determines pay but also what you need to know. I'm guessing that the truck stop waiter dosn't have to memorize the wine list, among other things. That being said it is a tough job I would not want. Unfortunatly harder work in this world dosn't equal more pay.

[QUOTE=John]Tracker, a tip is an *elective* gratuity for superb service, and is up to the patron to decide.

Wow, I'm flashing on some bad dates I had in the 80's. Were you living in Minneapolis in 86?

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Final5
    Cali,

awesome recap! The meatball guy barbs were so funny! One thing, I was wondering if anyone noticed that when "Mr. Meatball kicks is up a notch by saying, “Getting dinner here is like pulling teeth from a friggin’ cow” The producers immediately panned to the lady on his left stuffing her face..was this on purpose?
    Thank you, Final5!

Wow, I missed that camera action and I taped over it. That whole scene was probably the best one in the entire series so far.

If it was done intentionally, then why can't they be equally creative with the rest of the show? It really bothers me that it hasn't improved one little bit, in fact it's getting tedious.

Zenial, you may not *like* it, but a tip is, in fact, elective and not required. And the government knows this as well.

Tracker, having said that, I've never left less than 20% in my life, for anything, including bad service. But it is a choice that *I* make personally, and I certainly don't fault anyone for not leaving a tip for bad service, as is their perogative.

And seeing what I see on TV with this restaurant and the food and service quality, I would say a $40 tip for a $400 tab is probably well-warranted, with some minor exceptions.

Quote Originally Posted by zenial
    Would someone tell the goverment that tipping is "elective" because they have chosen to allow us to only be paid 2.63 per hour. So no tipping is not an elective. 20% tipping is elective. 10% is the Absolute minimum unless the service is non-exsistant. If there is any service at all you must tip.
    I'm quite sure you report 100% of your tips to the IRS as required by law, don't you! And as far as your remark about you must tip, that is a crock. If you carry that attitude as a server "expecting" a tip from all of your guests then I would be willing to bet that you are not one of the top money makers! I happen to be a very good tipper. My mother raised 5 kids on $25 a week + tips in the 60's and I am a general manager in the restaurant business. It appears to me that you seem to have an attitude and expect everyone to just lay a big tip on your table.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast