+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: More Fake than the "Mosaic" on the Floor

Walking Contradiction PhilosophyPhile's Avatar

More Fake than the "Mosaic" on the Floor

After watching "The Restaurant" my boyfriend and I got into a heated debate about just how staged/fake/posed/non-real (meaning scripted) the show was.

My argument is that it was very, very, very fake. My case begins with the guy who just happened to walk by and serve the financier with a lawsuit. I've worked in law firms for 8 years and never heard of a server stalking some one in order to serve them! Then, as Rocco realizes that his dream space is gone, he makes a call to his publicist (what does a chef need with a publicist anyway) on the corner of one of the most famous blocks in NYC (the flatiron building). Already seems rather staged....

But then, the "fight" between Rocco and his publicist at the gas station felt downright scripted and way too dramatic. The shots of Rocco dancing through his space which is being remodelled with glee and then with frustration just seemed forced and the "Landlord" that kept walking through with a malevolent musical accompaniment was just too much.

However, for me, the icing on this fake cake was when some equipment arrived which, according to the workers, was not in the right order. Furious, the financier calls his "Construction Coordinator" who not only answers the phone to deliver a very scripted 'yes sir - I'm right on that sir' but has a camera in his office. I don't think so...this little tiff was planned or I'll never eat pasta again!

Anyway, the boyfriend thought I was just being too critical - but did anyone else feel that this show was so downright staged/fake/posed/non-real (meaning scripted) that it really can't be called reality tv at all?
    "Only one man understands me, and even he does not". - G.W.F. Hegel

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilosophyPhile
    My case begins with the guy who just happened to walk by and serve the financier with a lawsuit. I've worked in law firms for 8 years and never heard of a server stalking some one in order to serve them!
    Under NY law, Section 308 of the CPLR allows personal delivery as a method for service of process.

Happens all the time.

I don't think it was as scripted as you might believe, although I'm sure some parts were re-created from actual events, when a camera wasn't around.

FORT Newbie
    Hey...it's Gideon from the show....everything you saw happened....now as far as a camera crew saying...."wait wait dont call him yet...we need to get a camera crew there"....sometimes that did happen. Reality television itself is a manipulated reality...but not fake...check out my website later today as I sort through some of the happenings in episode 1
    www.gideonhorowitz.com

FORT Newbie

Restaurant

After watching "The Restaurant" my boyfriend and I got into a heated debate about just how staged/fake/posed/non-real (meaning scripted) the show was.

My argument is that it was very, very, very fake. My case begins with the guy who just happened to walk by and serve the financier with a lawsuit. I've worked in law firms for 8 years and never heard of a server stalking some one in order to serve them! Then, as Rocco realizes that his dream space is gone, he makes a call to his publicist (what does a chef need with a publicist anyway) on the corner of one of the most famous blocks in NYC (the flatiron building). Already seems rather staged....

But then, the "fight" between Rocco and his publicist at the gas station felt downright scripted and way too dramatic. The shots of Rocco dancing through his space which is being remodelled with glee and then with frustration just seemed forced and the "Landlord" that kept walking through with a malevolent musical accompaniment was just too much.

However, for me, the icing on this fake cake was when some equipment arrived which, according to the workers, was not in the right order. Furious, the financier calls his "Construction Coordinator" who not only answers the phone to deliver a very scripted 'yes sir - I'm right on that sir' but has a camera in his office. I don't think so...this little tiff was planned or I'll never eat pasta again!

Anyway, the boyfriend thought I was just being too critical - but did anyone else feel that this show was so downright staged/fake/posed/non-real (meaning scripted) that it really can't be called reality tv at all?

FORT Newbie
    By the way...this show is called "Unscripted Drama" not a reality show...they make it very clear to call it that

FORT Newbie

FORT Newbie
    Was Restaurant scripted? Maybe, and if it was the screenwriter needs to be shown in the credits, this program has a much much better story line than I'm use to seeing on TV or Movies. I think this program will be taking TV in a whole new direction.

FORT Fan
    It's described as an "unscripted drama".

Walking Contradiction PhilosophyPhile's Avatar
    That's good to know that it is officially an "unscripted drama", however, I felt that in fact it was scripted...but I'll check out your site Gideon -hopefully what I saw as fake was just standard reality show producer machinations....

Also, as much as I question the integrity of the show, I am looking forward to next week. Especially the fire!
    "Only one man understands me, and even he does not". - G.W.F. Hegel

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast