+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Waste of a great concept

Waste of a great concept

I opened my own restaurant and ran it for 7 years. This show has failed in its first episode for me. The way they trivialize everything and try to make it a joke is just stupid. I guess it is hard for any of these people to take this serious since it is not their money. I totally thought the show would be about opening the rest. with the season finale being the opening; how preposterous that the 2 months is summed up in 40 minutes tonight.

What a waste, this could have really shown people exactly how hard it is; all they have shown the viewers is that if you have enough money "crap" doesn't really happen. There is no rest. on the face of the earth that wouldn't have been pushed back in that shape. The one thing that these people would argue that they have "on the line" is their reputation. By forcing the doors open when not ready they showed that even their reputations cannot play up to their egos.
    "'Your best?' Losers always whine about 'their best.' Winners go home and **** the prom queen."

It was pretty horrible. But I wasn't expecting much. It just proved that a fame-whore middle-range chef can get a TV deal and then hire a bunch of out-of-work actors (more fame whores) as waiters, who bitch about the kitchen staff (non-actors, but probably still acting half of the time).

And Rocco's own acting moments were horrible. The crying thing at th end cracked me up. But NOT in a good way.

It sucked. I may watch one more episode... but it would have to be spectacular to convince me otherwise.

Hey... wasn't it CONVENIENT how there were camera crews following several of the wait-staff when they got their job offers? Yeah... real convincing.

Fade to black
    I didn't see waiters bitching about the kitchen staff. Did you watch the same show I did?

Why would we want to watch a season worth of a restaurant preparing to open? Personally, one episode of that was sufficient to get the point across. The real drama in a restaurant happens when it is operating - and I think the show developed a foundation which got us to know several of the characters a little, and the main characters a lot (Rocco and the financier). As for the cameras following the wait staff around as they got job offers - that's reality television for you, of course it's not realistic, but how do you know they weren't told they could also be followed around to get their reaction in case they didn't get the job? And, of course most of the wait staff is going to be out of work actors. It's that way in pretty much every upscale restaurant in New York or L.A. (either actors, writers or college students). What's so wrong with that - and if serving tables on the show gets them seen and gives them a chance at their big break, more power to them.

I'm by no means an expert on the restaurant business, but neither is most of the viewing public and I think you have to take that into consideration when watching a show of this nature. It is going to make light of a number of things that people in the restaurant business take very seriously. Why? Because it's television. It's entertainment. If it failed to entertain, people wouldn't watch - no matter how real it is.

Just my thoughts.
    I know someday you'll have a beautiful life, I know you'll be a star in somebody else's eyes... but why... why... why can't it be me?

I liked the show.
    I have never worked in a restaurant, much less opened one of my own, so for me the show was ample to illustrate the difficulties they had.

I think they really wan to hi-light Rocco in this series and show us behind the scenes of the day to running of the restaurant, not just the opening.
    "That's Numberwang!"

I don't think Rocco was crying at the end, I think he had splashed water on his face. If not, that was a helluva lot of crying.

I think it was a "we're opening the doors!" water-splash.

I thought it was a water splash too.
    "That's Numberwang!"

I really enjoyed the show also. I only wish it hadn't flown from scene to scene in breakneck speed. Kinda difficult to keep up with at times.

I really liked the show too. I didn't think it was crying I thought it was heavy sweating. Last nights show was good but i'm really looking forward to when they actually open and hearing all the customer complaints. It'll be nice to hear them directed toward others and not me for a change.

[QUOTE=Krom]It was pretty horrible. But I wasn't expecting much. It just proved that a fame-whore middle-range chef can get a TV deal and then hire a bunch of out-of-work actors (more fame whores) as waiters, who bitch about the kitchen staff (non-actors, but probably still acting half of the time).

And Rocco's own acting moments were horrible. The crying thing at th end cracked me up. But NOT in a good way.

It sucked. I may watch one more episode... but it would have to be spectacular to convince me otherwise.

Hey... wasn't it CONVENIENT how there were camera crews following several of the wait-staff when they got their job offers? Yeah... real convincing.[/QUOTE

I have read several of your posts on this site and they have been so harsh. If you do not like "reality" tv then why watch and then post on a reality tv site? Just wondering...

I thought that the show was ok. I am sure that it will get better. I never like the first episode of any of these things.
    A cat changes coming home to an empty house to coming home

LOL it was a water splash... Pay attention people!

I thought the show was rather contrived, but enjoyable anyway... The fact that cameras were omnipresent was a bit annoying... but hey what can you do?
    ~M o s a i K~

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast