+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sponsors Featured on 'Restaurant' Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AngieinCincy
    This show is sponsered to the gills...by Am Ex, Mitsubishi and Coors
    Just SOME of the stuff I caught...
    Excellent observations! Put them all together and it's apparent that this is little more than a commercial masquerading as a reality show. If producers are meddling with supposed real dialogue where else are their stubby little fingers?
    Burnett's about to kill his own golden goose -- i.e., the reality genre. If networks get double revenue by selling commercials and then selling product placements to cover costs, why would they ever go back to the old way? They win, but viewers lose.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Mark Burnett is an old hand at this kind of tie-in. Hello, Saturn Vue, Pontiak Aztek, Snickers, Reebok, and Mountain Dew anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by John
    Mark Burnett is an old hand at this kind of tie-in. Hello, Saturn Vue, Pontiak Aztek, Snickers, Reebok, and Mountain Dew anyone?
    Those were competition/game shows, where the sponsored stuff usually comes as some sort of reward, like winning a Frigidaire on "Let's Make a Deal."
    That's annoying enough. But this is shot in documentary format, making meddling with the dialogue and events downright deceitful. He needs to call it a "documercial."
    Anyway, that's enough of my rant. I promise to stop. I'm shutting down my Dell Dimension, hopping into my Hyundai Accent (with a 60,000-mile warranty) and driving to KFC for some finger-lickin' good chicken.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Hmm, I have a sudden craving for fried chicken and Coors Light Girls.

Word up, Candor.

I'm sorry, but I don't think Coors Light is what I'm gonna order at a fancy Italian resterant, and what the hell does Mitsubishi have to do with food. The AmEx tie-in makes some sense, but that scene with the customer handing the waiter his Amex card and sending him out for wine was WAY contrived (Oh, and please don't pick up $10000 worth of stereo equipment on the way). It seems like something that would only happen if the producers arranged it to.

Like you said, it's one thing if it's a prize or something, then it usually comes off as cheesy, but hey. The placement here seems to be dictating the storyline, and that's a scary thought.

Also, do you think product placement really works? I can understand advertisers wanting to get their name out consumers, and sure, embedding it within the show is a great way to do it. But the next time I need a car, am I gonna run out and get a Mitsubishi because the Chef guy on that one show I liked drove one? Don' think so.

It's getting really bad in movies now. PP is OK if it doesn't distract from the story, I think the mini-coopers in The Italian Job is a good example - it fit the storyline and made sense. But when you see the main character drink a Pepsi (tm) and you know it's just there for the plug, it ends up making me dislike the cheesy movie AND the crummy product.
    "I'm pathetic. I owe my daughter 6 bucks for girl scout cookies, and I'm dodging her." -Rich Vos

FORT Newbie

sponsors featured

Last nights most shamless placement was the one where Rocco is whining(yet again) that the business is hemmorraghing money, and he's going down fast, BUT...I know, I'll have AMERICAN EXPRESS Set up a small business loan line of credit...Whew, that was close!!!!!
    Give me a break.
    We all knew that placement would be part of the show, but did they have to put the summer interns in the marketing department in charge of the project???? Subtle? No. Effective? No.
    Note to AMEX: drop Rocco before he causes you too many harrassment lawsuits for his behavior to female guests.

This show is like one of those articles in a magazine that you start reading but then notice it seems to mention a certain brand over and over and you look at the small print above and it says "paid advertisement" and you realize you have been fooled into reading it because it was made to look like the rest of the publication and then turn the page in disgust feeling used.

The close ups of the Coors bottles on the table and the boxes of Coors being unloaded from the truck are one thing and even the AmEx "Open" sign which also doubles as the name of their small business network is not TOO blatant, but having people on the show do de facto testimonials with their dialog is too much. They have obvious product placement on Survivor and even more obvious on Big Brother (Burger King? Citrona? Why they don't have a sponsorship from Jif or Skippy with all the PB and J they have to eat, I will never know). But to have it so sinsterly woven into what is supposed to be real life unfolding, is unsettling to say the least.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12