+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Pete Giovine - Waiter

FORT Newbie
    [QUOTE=mom2]As an Oklahoman and American, I feel safe in saying that any joke that starts with "The cool thing about terrorism ... " just puts the speaker's sanity in question.
    mom2[/QUOTE
    can't argue with you

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Deep Dish
    Was the audience made up entirely of Al Qaeda members? It's crap material and there's just no humor in that. Pete is horrible.
    Do you just love the sound of your keyboard.

Was the audience made up entirely of Al Qaeda members? It's crap material and there's just no humor in that. Pete is horrible.
    \
    apparently not, as no one laughed at it.
    thanks to OK member for reminding us that most of the terrorists here in the US are home grown wackos, too. (Unibomber, Olympic bombings, OK City, snipers in DC etc)

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by zenial
    Do you just love the sound of your keyboard.
    To quote 50 Cent, I do "like a fat kid love cake." Was the rapper talking about the tubby Brian from The Restuarant? Maybe, maybe not.

FORT Regular
    To quote 50 Cent, I do "like a fat kid love cake." Was the rapper talking about the tubby Brian from The Restuarant? Maybe, maybe not.
    Yep he loves that keyboard sound.

FORT Regular
    I'm not impressed with him one bit. I really don't like that "high energy, phoney" personality either.

Without commenting on his bizarre choice of material, I would say that for me personally, Pete was painfully non-funny. I didn't even smile at his stupid Utah joke. His delivery is horrible, he looks like he has to pee or something, the way he darts around and fidgets.

There are comedians who can get away with it - Dane something-or-other, who does a hilarious impression of a snake among other things - and people like Pete who can't. Your material can be in your face and topical as long as it's freaking FUNNY, and he just wasn't.

I don't know if it was the editing that made it look worse, but his bitching and whining about the audience not being ready for him and his brand of comedy was ludicrous. It's up to the comic to tailor his act to the crowd, not the other way around. I'm sure if he has a couple of Valium or something, he can be amusing, but making your friends laugh and making 1200 people laugh are two vastly different things.

I ended up liking him way, way less after this week's show.

I have to say that whether or not one can make a joke about terrorism in NY funny is not the point. He should have realized he made a mistake and moved on, instead of attacking the audience. His comedy routine is much like his wait service: condescending and rude

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by moody
    I have to say that whether or not one can make a joke about terrorism in NY funny is not the point. He should have realized he made a mistake and moved on, instead of attacking the audience. His comedy routine is much like his wait service: condescending and rude
    Very good analysis, wish I'd said that!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345