+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Rocco DiSpirito - The Chef

FORT Newbie
    Just my 2 cents, based on what we've all seen...

Yes, Rocco is indeed a chef, but is he a business owner first, chef second, or vice versa? Given he is more concerned with glad-handing and being in the front, as opposed to the back, I would argue he is playing owner first. Given the bottom line of the restaurant is to earn revenue (above cost if possible), Rocco's perception of the best use of his time is glad-handing, not cooking 300 meals per night. Emeril sure as heck does not cook every meal at his restaurants, so why should Rocco?

That said, we all see he is lacking in a few of the skills one might expect of someone who deals with the public. As I watch the show, I scream at the TV asking "where is the management of this place..the french guy, the floor mgr, whomever makes decisions?" Clearly, Rocco is too busy collecting publicity to worry about actually running the place, whether right or wrong. But he does have a GM, kitchen manager, floor mgr, etc all responsible for ensuring the operations run smoothly. Where are they?

Could be the editing, but all we ever see is people running to Rocco with issues he really should not be dealing with at the degree of detail he is. I am by no means saying Rocco is an angel here, but some of the blame lies in his subordinates (ie. GM and management team), who appear more concerned with identifying problems as opposed to providing solutions.

I agree rusty.
    We always have to take editing into consideration with any reality show, but there do seem to be some situations that Rocco need not be involved in, that have taken up his time.
    "That's Numberwang!"

First of all don't even compare an office to a kitchen those are two completely different workplaces. Rocco was the dumbass who slapped his name on the outside of the restuarant so by doing that if he had any common sense he had to know that the customers were expecting him to be in the actual kitchen doing some cooking. Not out in the dining room looking like a jack ass. I don't care if he has a business degree it doesn't mean he has a head for business. In fact if you pay attention to the first episode the investor had to control his reckless spending. Rocco only knows what he wants and doesn't care how much it costs other people. That is poor business. Rocco isn't a business man, he is a chef and he needs to stay in the kitchen and cook.

Also I find it funny that someone compared Rocco to Bobby Flay because they both are two fo the biggest egos in the business. The only difference is Bobby Flay can cook and is a good business man. But Bobby Flay treats people like crap and has no respect for kitchen etiquette. Those who saw the first Bobby FLay Iron Chef battle know what I mean.

FORT Regular
    To answer your question, yes, Rocco is interesting...don't hate people, God, I am just expressing my opinion!

Please...take offense, don't take offense...whatever you like.

FORT Regular
    Hi, ChefWinduAZ, how are you? I hope you're having a nice day!

I just wanted to say that I wasn't comparing office to restaurant. I have worked in a restaurant where's the GM's name was 'Rich', and he was always beautiful, always in a suit and pouting. He told me I had to put the bibs on our patrons!! Put a bib on a grown man? It happened. He told me how to wear my hair. So, the fact is that business is business and obviously Rocco is doing something right...don't you thank?

They (Rocco and the managers/supervisors) know what they're doing, I promise. I know no one believes me.

*think positive thoughts everyone*, I am not trying to offend anyone,
    -stifling laughter-

Atop the highhhhhest weathervane in Spain!
    Interesting. Hmmmm. He reminds me of a frat boy who never grew up. So, yeah. I guess that is interesting. I'm interested in figuring out how he manages to survive day to day with his attitude.
    ~*~ Maji *~

Atop the highhhhhest weathervane in Spain!
    Quote Originally Posted by fluff
    I have to say I find Rocco to be severly lacking in social skills.
    Obviously I'm only going by what I've seen on the show, but the way he handled to food critic was cringeworthy.

You left out "curl up in a fetal ball" worthy. Hideous behavior. Really. I am quite sure my 17 year old son would have handled himself in a more endearing manor. Hell, my 6 year old son, too.
    ~*~ Maji *~

FORT Newbie
    I just read an interesting quote from Rocco on the American Express Open website. Apparently he is keeping a weekly "diary" of sorts. His response to last Sunday's show?

"Sometimes I wish that I could clone myself. Just take a little strip of my DNA and make a whole extra me - a whole staff or extra me's. Not only would it solve my lack of free time, but I could also make sure that everything needed to be done was being done my way. It's like a friend of mine who always said, "It's not that I'm a control freak, it's just that I'm highly aware of the exact best way of doing things."
    But that's a fantasy. Relying on your staff is a reality of doing business. However, counting on people means you have to deal with their personalities, their problems and their other "special needs." This is especially true in the restaurant field where many people are questing towards some other life (actor, writer, painter, etc.). As you saw in the latest episode, keeping everyone happy and focused while dealing with your own responsibilities is a never ending battle. "

There he goes again....blaming his staff. And being a narcissist! What would the world come to if Rocco could clone himself? Too grizzly to even think about.

FORT Regular
    ok tvfreaky you must have gotten something wrong. there is NO WAY that that could be rocco talking. ???????? that made NO SENSE. a whole restaurant full of roccos would definately lead to about a 100 cases of sexual harrassment first of all. second of all, i dont even want to think of how many people he could offend. (no amount of editing could misconstrue what he said to the food critic or what he said about the waiter F-ing up.)

back to business:
    "I am by no means saying Rocco is an angel here, but some of the blame lies in his subordinates"

tons of the blame lies in the managers,etc. but any blame that falls on them falls doubly on him, makes him look twice as bad. dont forget HE is supposed to be in charge. get on your managers asses bc if they arent doing their jobs YOU arent doing your job. dont just mingle.

How can he expect anyone to succeed when he didn't even take the time to train them? This is a joke, great TV, but a joke. They will be shut down within 2 years tops.
    "'Your best?' Losers always whine about 'their best.' Winners go home and **** the prom queen."

+ Reply to Thread