+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dr. Phil's Son Rising

Dr. Phil's Son Rising

NYPOST:

September 1, 2004 -- JAY McGraw was not born with a silver spoon in his mouth the spoon came around the time of his first legal drink.
    The 24-year-old son of Dr. Phil McGraw saw his life change quickly and completely when his father became an overnight TV sensation in 2002.

It has meant more than a nice car and a family move from Dallas to Beverly Hills for young Jay. In the few years since his father became a household name, Jay has become a self-help guru for teens, a newly minted lawyer and now host of his own primetime show, "Renovate My Family," which has its two-hour debut tonight at 8 on Fox/Ch. 5.

"I certainly wouldn't be doing the things that I'm doing if my dad had not started doing television," McGraw, told The Post.

"Certain elements of my family's lives changed, but a lot of them stayed the same," he says. "Our daily life is basically the same. Like the other day, I watched four movies with my par ents, and that's ex actly what we did five years ago."

He says that al though he recently graduated from law school and passed the bar exam, he does not plan to practice law. Nor does he plan to go back to school anytime soon to get any sort of pyschological degree to match his dad's.

"The last thing I want to think about right now is going back to school I've had plenty of that," he says.

Still, there are times it seems that Dr. Phil is working to get his whole family their own TV shows.

Jay's mom, Robin, frequently appears on "Dr. Phil" as does Jay to advise people in trouble.

But young McGraw says that contrary to rumor she has no aspirations to launch a show of her own.

"She loves going up there with my dad and spending time with him but has absolutely no interest in her own show," says McGraw. "She's just having a lot of fun right now."

As for "Renovate My Family," it is merely expanding the family franchise, Jay says, of helping people with their lives.

The new reality show is being called "the ultimate makeover show," on which a panel of experts rebuild a deserving family's home, provide fashion and fitness makeovers for them and encourage the family to confront psychological problems. Show officials aren't ruling out minor plastic surgery in the future.

"I've been doing my dad's show a lot," Jay says, "and his show is obviously premised on helping people, and that's what we're doing on 'Renovate my Family' but in a different way."
    http://nypost.com/entertainment/27837.htm

I did'nt even know Dr Phil had a son. He seems pretty chill I actually liked him on the show.

Jay McGraw is a cutie. I've seen enough Oprah in my day to know about his father. I've watched Dr Phil's show only a handful of times and have not read any of his books so Jay is a mystery to me. From what I saw
    Jay McGraw seems rather comfortable in front of the camera and quite caring.

+ Reply to Thread