+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 4/14 AI 10 Result Recap: Movie Reel Over

4/14 AI 10 Result Recap: Movie Reel Over

“Maggie I wish I’d never seen your face
    I’ll get on back home one of these days.”
    Maggie May (Rod Stewart/Martin Quitttenton)

Someone will be going on home tonight. How does “Maggie May” play into it? Read on.

Ryan opens the show with what he calls a staggering number – 53 million votes were cast after the Performance Show on Wednesday. This is the Result Show so there will need to be acts to fill up the hour, and tonight's filler #1 will be a Jason Aldean/Kelly Clarkson duet and filler #2 will be a new Rhianna song.

To start the show off with music, Scotty McCreary and Lauren Alaina sing the Lady Antebellum song, “American Honey.” Scotty’s ear mic must have been causing problems in his solo entrance because he rips it out and continues with a naked ear. He seems more in tune with the surroundings when Lauren joins him and they take this sweet duet to the platform behind the judges singing to the audience. Unlike the Result Show where Scotty and Lauren learned their fate immediately following their duet, this time they will have to sweat it out through a commercial set, the Ford commercial and another duet.

This week we are allowed behind the scenes of the Ford commercial. For those who didn’t watch Face Off (a Syfy competition show) where special effects make-up artists fought it out, this is a crash course in how to make appliances that turn humans into zombies. Paul is bummed that he doesn’t get to be a monster, but we also discover that head banging as a zombie hurts; so maybe Paul saved himself a headache.

In honor of movie week, the commercial does a take off on campy horror flicks where teenagers picnic, lose a Frisbee in the dark woods and run screaming when zombies emerge. The zombies, it turns out, do not have a taste for teenage flesh, but for their happening car with the streaming music; another day in the park on a Sunday afternoon.

Now that the country kids have sung their duet, it is time for the competition’s jazz artists to have their turn. Casey Abrams and Haley Reinhart try on “Moanin” (Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers) with growls, tight harmonies, finger snapping, a scat section and a long run to close it out. Since the judges stand up to applaud, and probably because he has a couple of extra minutes, Ryan feels the need to ask their opinion. They are all excited to watch Haley take on bluesy jazz. All right…it was bluesy, it was jazzy and Haley took it on, but so did Casey. Whatever.

Dim the Lights

Scotty – first Safe
    Lauren – second Safe
    Casey – third Safe
    Haley – first in the Bottom Three

Before we hear Kelly on her return to the Idol stage, Rob Reiner talks movie music and characters with the contestants. He puts some words to the theme from Chariots of Fire that had me giggling as it is one of my favorites and I could just see the beach run in slo-mo. He tells them that Idols can make the transition to acting citing Jennifer Hudson and, recently, Carrie Underwood. In honor of Kelly, he also mentions the completely forgettable and regrettable movie she did with Justin Guarini. But, then, he tells Casey that he could be Seth Rogan’s younger bass playing brother, so he redeems himself.

In case they need to prepare to welcome a country Idol, I guess it makes sense to include a country duet by Jason Aldean and premiere Idol winner, Kelly Clarkson. Jason wears his hat so low I can hear Steven’s thoughts spinning…now there’s the hat, but where’s the cattle? Then there is the Kelly tweet that she thinks Casey is cute…of course that brings out the Ryan jabbing needle which flushes out a few stammers, blushes and a feminist comeback by Kelly…you Go, Girl!

They sing “Don’t You Wanna Stay” which was released as a single (platinum) off of Jason’s latest album. He opens with the verse and Kelly joins him for the chorus and takes the second verse. This is a possible glimpse into the future for Scotty and Lauren, but it will take years of seasoning and experience before they can match these two professionals.

Time for the boys (James Durbin, Jacob Lusk, Stefano Langone and Paul McDonald) to gather center stage and sing four part harmony to “Sounds of Silence” and “Mrs. Robinson” two iconic Simon and Garfunkle songs from the movie, The Graduate. They stay in their tight cluster without solo interference, though Paul tries to bring in the audience. It isn’t happening and "Jumpin’ Joe has left and gone away" as Ryan calls for the lights to dim.

(Note: Pia Toscano, last week’s “shocking” dismissal gets an audience spotlight as a late riser from her seat to applaud the boys.)

James – fourth Safe
    Jacob – fifth Safe
    Stefano – second in the Bottom Three
    Paul – third in the Bottom Three

The Bottom Three – Haley, Stefano and Paul must wait for the ax to fall because a Rhianna stage production takes precedence over their fate.

Ryan stands in the audience with true musical artists, Chaka Khan and Anita Baker, to introduce Rhianna, a relative newcomer to the scene.

Bed sheets hang from the rafters as the smoke machine (borrowed from the DWTS stage, I’m sure) sends rolling white fog around dancers entangled in the sheets while Rhianna stands front and center singing her new song, “California King.” At one point the sheets drop and Rhianna jams with her guitarist as the dancers roll around on the stage. Is this a snippet from her upcoming tour? She does let slip (accidentally, of course) that the audience will be involved in the show by being right up on or within the stage. That sounds like an interesting gimmick – maybe more tickets will be sold with the “unintentional” disclosure of this tantalizing tidbit.

No more delay. Dim the Lights.

Haley – first Safe
    Stefano – second Safe
    Paul – Going Home

For his last song, Jennifer requests he sing, “Maggie May,” which turns into a celebration of Paul, and not the roiling sob fest of last week. Goodbye to the Indie Artist with the big white smile and the performance suits embroidered to bring notice to his band, The Grand Magnolias.

“I’ll get on back home one of these days.”

Next week the Top 7 take on the 21st Century, which, when you think about it means they can sing ten year old songs and still be considered current. So yesterday. See you at the buffet table for choices from country, jazz, pop and gospel.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Re: 4/14 AI 10 Result Recap: Movie Reel Over

You give us great recap! Thanks!!

+ Reply to Thread