+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 3/31 AI 10 Recap: Two More for the Road

3/31 AI 10 Recap: Two More for the Road

Is the Ryan hype real or is it Memorex ® from the last Result Show. I believe Casey forcing the SAVE last week blew any real hyperbole out of the water for this week’s show. With the SAVE no longer an option and with production schedule being off with the 11th person staying, two contestants have to go home. No if, ands, or buts about it.

With an interesting night ahead of us, the judges sashay out on stage to take their bows and their seats. I’m surprised they aren’t wearing their usual Thursday formal wear (except for JLo who must use up her wardrobe allowance) but are in what might be considered casual fab for men. Ryan takes center stage in his dark suit, so I guess the AI fashion world has righted itself.

Before Ryan brings out the Final 11 contestants, he tells us that with 55 million votes AI has set a new record for this stage of the competition. The eleven arrive onstage with mixed emotions, waving and smiling at the audience, reluctant to leave when Ryan says, “Head over to the couches and relax, not quite time, yet.” I think the irony anvil struck Ryan on the head.

There will be the usual two mainstream artist fillers, but then they decide to break up the group sing into duets, trios and small groups, who will perform throughout the show. This will also be, perhaps, a sing for the last time as they will announce after each duo or group whether they are safe from elimination or in the bottom three.

Country kids, Lauren and Scotty are first up singing a duet to “I Told You So”. They use the small side stage for a more intimate setting where both sit on stools using hand held mics and trade off vocals. These young’ins show more emotion in their duet than most of their elders can manage on their own. For their effort they receive a standing ovation from the house. When the lights DIM, Ryan declares them both SAFE and they escape to the couches with a hug accompanied by huge smiles.

After a trash tree sculpture build in a park to promote eco-Fords last week, this week the Ford commercial ventures into Super Hero Land where the funniest bit is Scotty rushing out of a building to move his car two feet forward before a lamppost falls onto the street just missing the car. They all appear to have fun and look much more rehearsed and relaxed with it. Maybe because it wasn’t raining the day of this shoot.

Lucky James…viewer mail brought him a huge, heavy WWE title belt with his name centered as a spinning hubcap symbol. He may have discovered something with his wrestling mania which was highlighted last Thursday. Perhaps the WWE could use a heavy metal warm up act for its matches.

Another duet – Naima and her best friend, Jacob sing “Solid (Like a Rock)” by Ashford and Simpson. They imbue it with a beat somewhere between reggae and hip hop; more Naima influence than Jacob as the R&B beat didn’t show up until the end of the song. DIM the lights: Jacob is SAFE; Naima becomes one of the Bottom Three.

Scorecard:

SAFE
    Lauren
    Scotty
    Jacob

BOTTOM THREE
    Naima

The first featured performer of the night is Fantasia returning to the Idol stage to promote her new single, “Collard Greens and Cornbread.” (I love that title.) Backed by her band, she stands at the mic dressed in painted on red sequins reminiscent of the forties with a “rolled” upscale forties hairstyle to match. I found the song interesting in that she mixed up the singing with words. It was like R&B with a nod to rap-lite. Ryan, of course, forces her to address the couches and she comes up with something about doing what you love. It was one of those extemporaneous DUH moments.

Back to our raison d’etre…Thia, Haley and Pia take the stage with a version of “Teenage Dream”, each trying to impress, and Pia actually moves around the stage – though I don’t know if she stomped. DIM the lights: Pia is SAFE, Thia is in the BOTTOM THREE and Haley is SAFE.

Scorecard:

SAFE
    Lauren
    Scotty
    Jacob
    Pia
    Haley

BOTTOM THREE
    Naima
    Thia

Sidenote: Forced to make an audience appearance is Chris Allen, season 8 winner. The season 8 runner-up got a performance slot while the winner makes like a deer in the head lights just before the truck runs him over.

One humongous filler that production thought we might find interesting is titled: A Week In The Life. Okay, I’m doing this in one paragraph, so you can skip it altogether if you wish.

On Saturday morning prior to Motown performance night, they go to Interscope studios to rehearse before boarding a private jet to Phoenix, AZ and a charity concert sponsored by Muhammad Ali. After doing their part with a group song, they jump in the private jet and head back to LA where, on a rainy Sunday, they film the eco-trash Ford commercial. Because of the rain, the mansion’s leaks become rivers forcing them to pack up and move out until the place goes to rehab to dry out. (And we know how that usually turns out.) In the process of awkwardly wheeling her suitcase down the stairs, Lauren slips and slides to the bottom, dignity marred, but otherwise fine. Monday dawns and it is back to Interscope to record the songs for Wednesday’s show (MoTown Week) then they scoot off to the EW studios for a fashion photo shoot that is featured on this week’s (Elton John) performance show. (Keeping up?) On Tuesday, Marc Anthony thought (or hoped) to have solved their stage hearing problems, and on Wednesday, dress rehearsal and final touches take place before the live show. At the close of the result show last Thursday where Casey receives the one save, he collapses and is given immediate medical attention by the doctor on call. After calming him and supporting him (“Don’t feel guilty”) the doctor leads Casey into a room where the Top 11 are getting ready for their group photo shoot. With love and hugs from his friends, he is ready for that camera to click away, and another week to begin.

The house band that four of the guys put together at the mansion jams out to “Band on the Run” with James, Paul and Casey on guitars and Stefano on keyboard. DIM the lights: Casey is SAFE (with a very nice percentage of the vote), James is SAFE, and Stefano is SAFE while Paul is in the BOTTOM THREE.

Scorecard:

SAFE
    Lauren
    Scotty
    Jacob
    Pia
    Haley
    Casey
    James
    Stefano

BOTTOM THREE
    Naima
    Thia
    Paul

Before the Bottom Three find out their fate, we are feted with a performance of a song from the new animated movie, Rio, sung by Jamie Foxx and will.i.am. Dull song, but colorful Carnivale dancers almost make up for it. No, not really.

All right, here it is… no save, no singing for your life. Drum roll, or silence, whichever….

Paul – SAFE

Thia and Naima -GOING HOME

A melding of their journeys is shown over Lauren’s sobs, but both Thia and Naima smile at the good memories.

Next Wednesday the Final Nine take on the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame – always a fun show, but this year I think even more so with all the different styles. Till then…ROCK ON!
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Re: 3/31 AI 10 Recap: Two More for the Road

GREAT recap!!

+ Reply to Thread