+ Reply to Thread

Thread: American Idol 6 4/24 Recap: An Inspirational Evening of Inspiration

American Idol 6 4/24 Recap: An Inspirational Evening of Inspiration

Welcome back everyone. Itís a glorious day because the singing disaster, Sanjaya is finally gone and maybe Idol will be able to regain some of itís singing street cred back. Last week we had Martina McBride working with the Idols on Country songs creating quite the honky tonk atmosphere. Who knows whatís in store for us tonight? If itís the songs of Dan Fogelberg the recap ends right here. So letís properly insert our earplugs (I would hate for anyone to damage their ear drums with a hasty move) and get ready to cringe at every moment.

The Neverending Intro
    Tonight Ryan greets us in the control room to announce itís a very special night on Idol. Tonight, all the calls, we the viewing public, make will not only give votes but also save lives. The more calls we make, the more lives are saved. This seems like a movie I loved as a child were a small boy continues to make wishes to save a far off country. The boyís name was Bastian, and the movie was The Neverending Story. Idol is kind of like the Neverending story this season with all the mediocre performances we are tortured with weekly. I wish we had Bastian making wishes for us and whole new slew of good singers and performers appeared making everything right in the Universe. Ahhh, wishful thinking.

Tonight for every phone call that is placed, a ten-cent donation will be made on behalf of News Corp. There is a disclaimer though, 50 million phone calls or 5 million dollars will be their maximum. Donít feel left out though, tomorrow night you get the opportunity to donate. Next we are treated to a short film of Ryan and Simon as they visit Africa. Ryan and Simon are both moved by the experience, and I am a little as well. I am just having a really hard time dealing with all these serious issues being combined with the cheesiest show on television.

Itís finally time to get to the singing and we are told that Bono was the guest mentor this week. The Idols will be singing songs that Inspire. I am happy we are finally given a theme and not told its songs that Jlo or Gwen Stafani enjoy. I start to go through my head and come up with some possible songs I would sing if I were on the show. Letís see, The Distance by Cake, inspires me to run farther when I am getting tired, and Smack That by Akon inspires me to change the channel so I donít have to see that stupid ring tone commercial again. Hanging Tough by New Kids on the Block, inspires me to think of my childhood and realize I may have been a nerd, and Time for Me to Fly by REO Speedwagon inspires me to quit my job via interpretive dance. I really donít know which of these songs I would be compelled to sing, maybe a medley of them all.

Inspired to Match Seascrestís Outfit

Up first tonight we have Chris, he has been inspired by the song If I Could Change the World by Eric Clapton. I heard that he would be singing an Eric Clapton song and I am relieve he chose this one and not Cocaine. Chris comes on stage wearing a suit jacket and skinny tie, almost identical to Ryanís. He changes things up a bit by sitting at the microphone stand but doesnít change enough to convince me he is not Justin Timberlakeís long, lost brother. He seems to be doing well on the songÖor at least until his voice cracks a couple of times. Once he starts feeling the song he gets up and bobs around a bit. Overall it was a good performance and a nice way to kick off the show.

Randy thinks that Chris is in it to win it. Thanks for that Randy, I didnít realize any of these kids were. Paula thought he was fantastic and it was really well done. She almost says it with longing in her voice like she wishes she could sing that well. Simon feels that the competition started tonight. It was a good vocal and Chris did really well.

Inspired to Not Look Shocked by Praise
    Melinda is up and singing There Will Come a Day by Faith Hill. I am not familiar with this song so I donít really know what to expect. Melinda has chosen a nice drab dress for the evening to accentuate hide look as plain as possible. I am so focused on the hideous dress I nearly miss the whole song which is sang very solid and the performance was decent. I really like Melinda and she without a doubt has a wonderful voice but she is really lacking that ďit factorĒ many stars have. She has what it takes to win but I donít know if she can ever be successful. She will probably be like Ruben and fade into the sunset once the show is over.

Randy thinks it was great and that she finally arrived. He follows that up with gibberish not worthy of my recap. Paula tells her there is no one like her and that she is magical. Simon thought it was not a copycat performance and that he could believe she recorded it. He also thinks it was a vocal master class. As she approaches Ryan, Simon and Ryan both tell her to not look surprised. I am happy she is being scolded for that behavior because it was getting a little played.

Inspired to Continually Wear Old Man Clothes
    Itís Blakeís turn and he is going to do Imagine by John Lennon. Imagine my shock and surprise that just last week, John Lennon asked me to be his friend on Myspace. I wonder if Blake got the same invite and that inspired him to choose this song. The song starts and it appears that Blake is sitting on a piano to start the song. Personally I am disappointed he is not wearing a slinky dress and is draped over the top. Upon further inspection, it appears he is nestled into a little chair that is normally used for interviews with Ryan. He is wearing his standard old man wear and actually doing a decent job on this song. Tonight has actually been a decent show and I am happy.

Randy thought it was a great choice of song (he must also have received the John Lennon invite) but the performance was just all right. Paula thought it was his first real sensitive, emotional performance and she enjoyed it. Simon thought it felt sincere. He didnít think it went anywhere but he importantly sang it with sincerity. I really hope Simon is sincere with his comment.

Inspired to Take on One of the Greats?
    Lakisha will be singing I Believe, which was used on season 3 of Idol by Diana and Fantasia. The set is all dark and mysterious as the song starts and Lakisha looks great in her dress. She sounds really good on the song and I am enjoying it. I donít really remember this song from AI3 but that doesnít mean a whole lot. This is a perfect song for her and she really comes into it in the second half.

Randy thinks itís a great song choice, not the best performance but good. Paula thinks she is great and a powerhouse vocalist. She also tells her itís tough taking on the greats like Celine, Whitney, Paula, Chakka, and Fantasia. Wait, rewind, when did Fantasia get put in the ranks of those other singers? I thought you had to be successful and known for more than not being able to read. Simon thought it was very emotional but he had issues with shouting.

Inspired to Continue Freaking Me Out with the Bug-eyed Look
    We are nearing the end and I am excited. Phil is singing The Change by Garth Brooks, another song I donít know. Phil is also wearing a jacket similar to Ryan minus the tie though. His eyes are still all buggy and scary but he sounds really good. He follows the rules of Idol, slow song=stand at microphone stand. He eventually moves around the stage and ends the song pointing at himself and I know he is serious about change. Overall, it was a good performance and one of the better ones of the evening.

Randy tells Phil he is back with another strong performance. Paula thinks it was fantastic, his best performance. Simon thought it was a good song with a good vocal. He does want him to bring the country twang back to his voice though. My guess is so he can tell him to stop that next week.

Inspired to Kick Some Serious Ass this Show
    Last but not least we have Jordin singing, Youíll Never Walk Alone. Drab colored dresses must have been on special this week because Jordin is sporting one as well. The dress is absolutely beautiful but it would look much better in a different color. She starts off a bit shaky but as she gets going she just sounds great and the ending is outstanding. Jordin, unlike Melinda, definitely has the ďit factor.Ē

Randy thinks itís one of the best vocals in all six of the seasons. Paula thinks she did a lovely job and you can just see the daggers of envy coming from her eyes. Simon thought she was fantastic. He tells her the song was about 60 years old and she could have a hit record with it.

Uninspired to Sit Through Two Hours Tomorrow
    So that ends tonight episode of Idol. Make sure to tune into the two hour special tomorrow night were the last five minutes are the only ones that matter.

What would be your inspirational song? Send me a PM and let me know.

Re: American Idol 6 4/24 Recap: An Inspirational Evening of Inspiration

. . . Next we are treated to a short film of Ryan and Simon as they visit Africa. . .
    I love how they [Seacrest, Cowell, et al.] just say "Africa" as though it were one generic country, and not a continent made up of many countries, cultures, tribes and languages. Was someone playing hooky when that little detail was covered in social studies class?
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

If it’s the songs of Dan Fogelberg the recap ends right here.

The boy’s name was Bastian, and the movie was The Neverending Story. Idol is kind of like the Neverending story this season with all the mediocre performances we are tortured with weekly.

I heard that he would be singing an Eric Clapton song and I am relieve he chose this one and not Cocaine.

Personally I am disappointed he is not wearing a slinky dress and is draped over the top.

Inspired to Continue Freaking Me Out with the Bug-eyed Look
    Great recap, Gnomie!
    Always looking for cat treats!

Breathe out, so I can breathe you in...

Can you say overrated? I am sooooo tired of the Jordin pimpage. That was not one of the best performances in idol history - it factor or not. In fact, it wasn't even the best of the season. The judges need to let performances stand on their own merit.

Quote Originally Posted by Yardgnome;2349932;
    Who knows whatís in store for us tonight? If itís the songs of Dan Fogelberg the recap ends right here.

The boyís name was Bastian, and the movie was The Neverending Story.

Smack That by Akon inspires me to change the channel so I donít have to see that stupid ring tone commercial again. Hanging Tough by New Kids on the Block, inspires me to think of my childhood and realize I may have been a nerd, and Time for Me to Fly by REO Speedwagon inspires me to quit my job via interpretive dance.

Imagine my shock and surprise that just last week, John Lennon asked me to be his friend on Myspace.

Uninspired to Sit Through Two Hours Tomorrow
    Awesome recap, Yardgnome.

Great wordsmithing, Yardgnome! Truly enjoyable.

Leo
    Premium Member

Fantastic recap - thanks, Yardgnome.

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar

Great recap, Yardie!
    "Among the blind, the squinter rules." ~ Gerard Didier Erasmus

Loved all your "inspired" subtitles. Great recap!

Up first tonight we have Chris, he has been inspired by the song If I Could Change the World by Eric Clapton. I heard that he would be singing an Eric Clapton song and I am relieve he chose this one and not Cocaine.
    That one really cracked me up.

Loved the inspirational subtitles as well, YG. Though I'm kinda sorry Chris didn't do "Cocaine".
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

+ Reply to Thread