+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: American Idol 6 3/6 Recap: Boy’s Night Takes a Turn for the Worse

American Idol 6 3/6 Recap: Boy’s Night Takes a Turn for the Worse

Welcome back to another boyís night on Idol. Last week we said goodbye to AJ and Nick in a shocking turn of events. Itís finally the last week of pre-competition before we get into the real competition. The past two weeks have been mediocre at best and hopefully tonight they really turn up the heat.

Ryan comes onto stage and introduces the boys, then the ladies, and then the judges. See AI, it can be done in less then a second. Ryan tells us that we must tune in on Thursday night for the biggest Idol announcement ever. I guess I will tune in then because Ryan said I have to. They will probably let me down though by announcing that Corey Clark will be performing his new single off his soon to be released piece of crap album. Idol you have tricked me before, I will not fall victim to your games again! Ryan follows up all this hype with the news that the Idols will be telling us something revealing about themselves. I guess since Antonella already did that publicly the other Idols were feeling left out.

I Will Lose Faith in Idol If He Does Not Make Top 12
    Blake is up first and he tells us he loves Improv comedy, character acting and Halloween. I canít believe the censors just let that through it was so risquť. He then goes on to give us an example of some character he has created and I am just super embarrassed for him. He comes out singing, All Mixed Up, and wearing stripped pants and an orange shirt with a large skull on the front. I guess the skull shirt is in honor of his love of Halloween. He sounds good during the song and I adore his beat boxing so I give him thumbs up.

Randy thought it was hot even though he didnít recognize the song. This is shocking because even I recognized the song and I am song illiterate. Paula claims to not know the song either but she was interested. Simon agrees with Randy and Paula and likes that he is making it current. Simon thinks he will be in the top 12 and I would have to agree.

For Everything that is Good & Holy, Send Him HOME!

Sanjayaís next and he is a proficient hula dancer. He gives a little demo of his skills and I couldnít be more bored. He sings the song, Waiting, but I canít stop looking at his new hair. Someone did some serious flat ironing to it and I think I like it. He sounds kind of decent on this song but he is the most boring performer. The only emotion he uses is his smile and that is getting very tiresome to me.

Randy tells him he has not been good since his audition and his performance was not great. Paula tells him to get out of his comfort zone, to keep trying, and to raise his game. Hello, did he not straighten his hair? Simon tells him it was not as ghastly as last week. It was not a good vocal but he must be popular and that is why he is sticking around. I donít think Sanjaya deserves to be in the top 12 but I have a horrible feeling this is not the last we have seen of him.

The Guy Who Did Not Live Up to the Hype
    Sundance informs us that he actually is thin in real life and has been hiding behind a fat suit. I believe himÖor not. He sings Jeremy and sporting a little Mohawk. I like the Mohawk but hate the song. His voice does not sound good on this song and I really have nothing positive to say. This song also brings back bad memories of my high school ďalternative phaseĒ that I went through. I cringe when I think of the horrible clothing choices I made.

Randy thought it was pitchy but liked that he put a Southern Rock twist on Pearl Jam. I didnít get that but Randy seems pretty happy with what he said. Paula thinks he really pulled it out this week and did really, really good. Really? Simon didnít like it as much as the past week and thought he went into generic bar singer style. I guess I have no music taste because I thought it was horrible. As much as I hate it, I am almost positive he will be returning next week.

After we return from the commercial we get our first celebrity pimping of the season. Travis Tritt is in the audience and Ryan pulls him up for a chat. We find out that Randy is producing his new album and we can all look forward to at least 10 unwanted performances by him on Idol this season.

The Boy Who Came Out of Nowhere
    Itís Chris Richardsonís turn and his secret is that he used to play college football and was a lot heavier but persevered and lost 40 pounds. What does he want, a cookie or something? His song choice for the week is, Tonight I Wanna Cry. I just wish he would sing SexyBack and get it over with. It is a slow song and he changes it up a bit by sitting at the microphone stand. I give him credit for taking a risk there. I donít really care for this song but he actually sounds pretty good on this slow number.

Randy likes that he is switching it up. He thinks that Chris is in it to win it. Paula thinks his voice adapts well and that he picked a good song. Simon thought his voice sounded a bit nasally. He doesnít think we have heard Chrisís full potential yet but he definitely sold the song. I think we can be sure Chris will be back next week.

I Donít Know If Your Beauty Can Carry You Through
    Mr. Hottie, Jarred is up and he tells us that he used to play Division II College basketball. He is singing, If You Really Love Me, and looks all preppy in his argyle sweater. I love argyle as much as the next person but I firmly believe in argyle on Fridays. I even have all my employees at work trained into wearing argyle strictly on Fridayís. I run a tight ship. Jarred slows the song down a bit in the middle to make it his own I suspect. The song sounds okay, but nothing spectacular.

Randy thinks he gave a solid performance and that it was good. Paula thinks he needs to color up the way he sings. Simon doesnít think it was very original but that he is popular. Simon is slightly disappointed that he is not hearing the WOW factor tonight. I couldnít agree more. Jarred is up in the air for me on weather he will be back or not.

You Seem So Darn Nice But Itís Time to Step It Up

Itís Brandonís turn and he wants us to know that heís a classical piano player. Tonight he will be singing, I Just Want to Celebrate, quite possibly the worst song choice ever. He is all hyped up and dancing and he must of had extra time to work on his choreography since the song has about two lines of lyrics in it. His voice sounds good and he looks cute in his white jacket so I approve of his performance tonight.

Randy thought the song was a good choice and that it gave him a rock edge. Paula thought it was phenomenal. Simon does not think he represented himself well and he is nervous for him this week. I am as well because he is another person sitting on the fence on getting through for next week.

Your Bug Eyes are Pushing Me to My Limit
    We are getting so close to the end I can barley contain myself. Phil is up and he wants us to know that he has not always been bald. Now, that is probably the most shocking news I have heard tonight. He will be singing, I Need You, and as soon as he hits the stage I turn away to avoid horrible nightmares later. His voice does not sound great on this slow song but he does have very white and straight teeth. I was always taught to try and say something nice.

Randy thought it was an interesting song choice and that he reminds him of a friend of his, Steve Perry, from Journey. Wait, Randy is associated with Journey? Why have we not heard of that till now? He thought his low notes were not good and that it was all right. Paula thought using the lower part of his register was chancy and that it was an odd song choice. Simon tells him he doesnít get it, the hat, song, and big eyes, it was just odd. He has been very disappointed tonight. I donít really care for Phil but I do think he will be in the top 12.

Your Hair May Be Big But You Better Bring It Tonight
    We are finally at the end of the night and I couldnít be happier. Chris tells us that he had very short hair for a long time. About two years ago he decided to grow it out and this is what happened. On a side note, this whole tell us your secret piece was about as lame as Idol has gone in a while. Chris is onstage and singing, We All Want to be Loved, a song that I have never heard. The song is fast but he is choosing to stand at the microphone and I also give him bonus points for taking a risk. He sounds good on the song but the performance is not all that exciting.

Randy tells him itís not his favorite song choice of the night but the best vocal of the night. Paula thinks he needs to keep rising above and to take some risks. Hello, fast song, standing at microphone. Simon thought the beginning was good but he struggled through the middle. He also thinks that Chris has a lot of potential. I think we can guarantee that Chris will be showing up next week.

The End Has Finally Arrived
    The show is finally winding down and I have to say that this is one of the worst nights of Idol I have watched in a long time. No one stood out as great and I was pretty bored the whole time. Now I get to make my predictions about whom I think and will make the top 12. I think that Chris, Blake, Chris, Phil and Sundance are guaranteed spots in the Top 12. I would like to see Brandon as the 6th guy but I have a horrible feeling it will be Sunjaya.

Well thatís it for Boyís night on Idol. Make sure to tune into Girlís night and hopefully get to see some talent. Donít forget to tune in Thursday night for the big Idol let down surprise and see who makes the Top 12. Later!
    Last edited by Yardgnome; 03-07-2007 at 04:47 PM.

I thought I had recorded the show, but I messed something up and so really appreciate your recap, Yardgnome. Looks like I didn't miss much in the way of entertainment by not watching and poor you were stuck with having to relive a recrap this week

His voice does not sound great on this slow song but he does have very white and straight teeth. I was always taught to try and say something nice.
    ... He looks like ET's older brother. Phil, Phone home ... and tell them you're on your way !

Thanks again, yg.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Excellent recap---much more entertaining the show.
    Anyone else sick of them reminding us it's a "singing contest"? Weren't these the same judges who didn't let EXCELLENT singers go to Hollywood, or advance to the top 24 because it isn't "JUST about singing...it's about being an American IDOL"? Their growing hypocrisy wears on me this season.

The "it's a singing contest" remarks aren't about the difference between, say, Brandon and Blake. No, that's the judges' code for begging people to please stop participating in that constituency that finds it amusing to promote the weakest singers.

Ryan follows up all this hype with the news that the Idols will be telling us something revealing about themselves. I guess since Antonella already did that publicly the other Idols were feeling left out.
    Snarktastic recap, YG!
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

Ryan tells us that we must tune in on Thursday night for the biggest Idol announcement ever. I guess I will tune in then because Ryan said I have to.
    I pretty much always try to do what Ryan says too!

He didn't tell me to love this recap but dammit I can think for myself once in a while. Awesome job!
    "Feel the sky blanket you/ With gems and rhinestones/ See the path cut by the moon/ For you to walk on" - EV

Quote Originally Posted by calamari;2269074;
    The "it's a singing contest" remarks aren't about the difference between, say, Brandon and Blake. No, that's the judges' code for begging people to please stop participating in that constituency that finds it amusing to promote the weakest singers.

While I understand what you mean about the *cringe voters*....of the MANY thousands of people that auditioned, there shouldn't BE any weak singers at this point. I guess what I'm trying to say is: if they are unhappy with ANY of the final 24, at that point they really only have themselves to blame. America didn't plop Sanjaya into the voting portion of the show. They need to stop whining about it now.

FORT Newbie
    Everyone of these guys is disposable except, arguably, Blake. At least he brings something different to an increasingly boring season.
    I'm even finding the women boring: Lakisha, Stephanie, Melinda, they sure can sing, but they're all interchangeable R&B types (with whom Idol cannot make money as I don't think they are going to let another money loser like Taylor win) And I agree that the judges (especially Randy) are talking out of both sides of their mouths and rapidly losing credibility. "Take a chance" then, when they do, "That song is too big for you, etc. etc." I'm tired of it.

Wow last night the guys were awful, even my fav. guy Chris didn't do all that great.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Yardgnome;2268921;
    I just wish he would sing SexyBack and get it over with.
    Good recap

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 03-08-2007, 11:59 AM