+ Reply to Thread

Thread: American Idol 6 2/27 Recap: The Men are Back…Kind Of

American Idol 6 2/27 Recap: The Men are Back…Kind Of

Welcome back everyone. It’s men’s night again and I am a lot less excited then I was last weeks. I am still kind of sad that Rudy and Paul will not be joining the group tonight. Last week’s show was a little sub par and filled with so much filler I couldn’t think of a worse torture scenario. Tonight we are down one half hour and only two contestants so hopefully that means we will be moving right along or at least having less of Seacrest’s idiocy.

Unfortunately I am wrong, Seacrest comes out on the stage to start the show wearing a pin stripe suite with a blue shirt. He has no tie on so that must mean tonight is snappy casual on Idol. We go through the same routine that has become a bit boring of introducing the men, then showing the ladies, and then the judges. People cheer, people jeer. I cut and pasted that from last week’s recap because Idol has been doing that to us for the past six seasons. What’s good for the goose is also good for the gander!

I am about ready to fall asleep on the couch and pack it in with this show when Ryan announces we are going to get started. I can’t believe we are actually going to hear some singing. This show has been on for about 15 minutes and we have had lots of talking I almost forgot what this show was about. Before we can get started, Ryan tells us that each contestant will be dedicating their performance to someone tonight. That is kind of precious but a bigger part of me just doesn’t care at all. I just want to hear singing, cut out all the other crap.

Missing You…Not So Much
    Up first tonight is Phil Stacey, who will be dedicating his performance to the Navy Band SE. He informs us about his time in the military for about the 800th time. I guess he just wanted to make sure we NEVER FORGET. His music finally starts and he is singing I’ll Be Missing You. His voice sounds good and kind of raspy but he stills looks really scary to me while singing. He is wearing a very casual white shirt with a funny little lace action piece on the shoulder that I am completely distracted by. He seems to be dressed very casual tonight and I would not be surprised if they panned down and he was wearing some old school sweats with his shirt. The song was good as well as the performance but I just can’t get over how scary he is sometimes to really enjoy him.

Randy thinks his performance was hot. From the way Randy is sweating I believe him. Paula thinks he has a great tone to his voice and she can hear him on the radio. Paula really should lay off the drugs for at least one show. Simon tells Phil that he is not jumping out of his chair with that performance. He liked the video piece, he thinks he is nice, but he is not unique. He thought it was a very good karaoke performance but he is popular enough that he will be sticking around another week.

Let’s Get It On…’Nuff Said

Up next we have Jared Cotter dedicating his song to his mom and dad. His mother is the reason he is there because she got him up early and got him to the audition. His dad is included because he introduced him to the music of Stevie Wonder and Donnie Hathaway. Jared sings Let’s Get It On, and he has taken the words right out of my mouth. He’s just so good looking, he could be sounding like total crap and I just wouldn’t even know because his beauty blinds me. Well I guess I must have snapped out of it because he just sounds mediocre and the whole performance is kind of cheesy. I do notice that when he gets singing he looks a lot like Alfonso Ribeiro and I say a little prayer, “please do the Carlton.”

Randy tells him that he kind of liked it although it was pitchy in spots. He does really enjoy the face reveal though. I have no idea what he is talking about until Jared demonstrates it and damn that man is sexy. Paula thinks he is a good-looking guy but he does not have to push on that song. She follows that up with no pun intended. Idol has taken a turn for the dirty a little; I like this new format. Simon is glad he made an attempt with that song but it reminded him of the Love Boat a little. It was kind of corny. As Jared walks off he is greeted by Ryan who says, “Oh the things we have done to that song.” I laugh because the jokes are too numerous that I could write in here right now.

Feeling Good…If This Show was an Hour Shorter
    AJ Tabaldo is going to dedicate his performance to his mom and dad. I see a trend starting already. I think I would dedicate my performance to Johnny from the Karate Kid for reminding me that mean people always get what’s coming to them. What does that have to do with anything? Nothing. He is dedicating to his parents because they have supported him through his music dreams. He starts singing a song I have never heard called Feeling Good. It’s his turn to wear the sensible vest this week although he is going for a more casual look then Ryan last week. The music sounds a little like stripper music…or what I have been told about stripper music. His performance is much better then last week although he should lose the lasso over the head dance move that he keeps doing.

Randy thinks it was much better than last week. Paula thinks he is real, real, real, real, real, etc. I have no idea what that means nor am I going to try and understand. Simon thought it was actually very good. He tells him he made himself different and standout and showed a little personality.

Stepping Out…Hopefully to Catch a Cab Home

Sanjaya is singing tonight to his Grandpa, who was a very strong person in his life before he passed away. His Grandpa left his wedding ring for him and he wears it all the time when he performs. Tonight he is singing Stepping Out, and I am getting a Michael Jackson vibe from him. He sounds not so great and seems so young for the competition. He is someone else I really want to like but I just can’t, he has done horrible so far.

Randy thinks he is a nice kid but the performance was like a bad high-school talent show. He does not think it was good. Paula thinks he sang on pitch and needs to pick songs that celebrate his youth. Simon agrees with Randy, he also thinks it was very weak and a little weird. He also asks him why he did that song. Sanjaya tells him he wanted to celebrate great years of music and his Grandpa. That is so cute coming from the super young boy.

Trouble…If That Hair Gets Too Close to an Open Flame
    Up next is on of my favorites, Chris Sligh. He is dedicating this performance to his mom and dad wife, Sarah. Wait? Did he just say he is married? She helped him to keep his singing dreams alive. Seriously, that was his really cute wife they just showed? He is singing Trouble for her and I am glad to see he is following the rules of Idol, slow song, stand at the mic. He sounds really good during the song and I think he has one of the better voices in the competition. He also has a great personality and I can appreciate that.

Randy thought the song was a good choice and he liked it. Paula liked it as well and thought any wife would be happy with that dedication. Simon thought that tonight he was a very good singer.

Fever…Not From This Performance
    Tonight Nick is going to be singing Fever and dedicating it to his girlfriend. They have been together for a long time and she has been very understanding of him being away. She would have to be crazy to not understand. He sounds good and while he is singing I notice an uncanny resemblance to Boston Rob of Survivor fame. He is like the 5th person tonight to be a wearing a suit jacket. The stylist must have got them on special and forced everyone into it.

Randy likes that he returned to his vibe and thought it was nice. Paula likes the tone of his voice but wants him to let it go and just go for it. Simon though it was good although he lacked charisma and should have dressed differently. He must have picked up on the suit thing also.

Virtual Insanity…From Watching This Show
    Blake is sending this song out to his parents. His dad is the strongest, hardest working, man alive. I think many would disagree with that. Nothing against Mr. Lewis, we all have our opinion. His mom gave him all his talent so he is grateful to her for that. He is singing Virtual Insanity and wearing quite stylish blue plaid pants with a green t-shirt. I would never be caught dead in that outfit but in some misfit way it is working for him. He does some of the beat box thing and it sounds awesome, just like the rest of the performance.

Randy is happy to see him return to where he is from. He likes it. Paula likes his smart song choice and thinks he is unique. Simon disagrees with Paula and Randy; he thought it was a copycat song. The middle part was original and that was it. He is disappointed in it. For one of the few times, I completely disagree with Simon.

Time After Time…I Wish This Show Was ˝ Hour
    Brandon’s up and dedicating his performance to his Grandma who always wanted him to succeed. What a great grandson he is. He is singing Time After Time, and he too follows Idol’s rule of slow song equals standing at the mic. I really like this song and I am worried if he is going to be able to pull it off. He is dressed very casual but has the nicest smile I have ever seen.

Randy thought the song did not do enough for him vocally and that is was kind of boring. Paula tells him she felt his heart and I think we are soon going to have another, “I Slept With Paula Abdul” special on our hands. She tells him he felt the song and that he has a beautiful voice. Simon tells him it’s a singing competition and he needs to come out and show that he is a good singer.

Geek In the Pink…Also Known as Seacrest
    We are nearing the end and next is Justin Chris Richardson also dedicating his song to his Grandma. She is spunky, energetic, and opinionated and he loves that about her. He sings a song called Geek in the Pink while sporting a sweater vest. His vest might be sensible but I am not sure if it’s practical as well. I have never heard this song but he sounds really good although he might need a few dancing lessons before his next performance.

Randy tells him he is in it to win it tonight. He thought that version was hotter than the original. Paula wants to know if his Grandma knows what that song means. Simon thinks it’s the best of the night by a mile.

Mustang Sally…Or Thank God It’s Finally Over
    Up last is Sundance who will be sending this out to his 2-˝ month old son, Levi. He misses him and being with him and hopes that someday when he is older they can watch this together. He sings Mustang Sally and that seems like a really odd choice of a song to dedicate to a son. What do I know? I have no kids. He sounds good for the first time in a while and has lots of energy during the performance.

Randy tells him what a difference a week makes. He welcomes him back and tells him it was hot. Paula tells him he needs to bring it like that every week. Simon is glad to have the Sundance back that they like. He also thinks he can still do better.

Not Over Yet…But I Have Stopped Watching
    That ends another night of American Idol. I am so happy that is was not as horrible as last week but it was still barely tolerable. Make sure to tune in tomorrow to watch the women perform and Thursday night to see who will be auditioning for the Surreal Life.

If you have ever sported a denim vest and are finally ready to admit it, please email me at, Yardgnome77@fansofrealitytv.co m.
    Last edited by Yardgnome; 03-07-2007 at 12:01 PM.

I think I would dedicate my performance to Johnny from the Karate Kid for reminding me that mean people always get what’s coming to them. What does that have to do with anything? Nothing.
    That just cracked me up! Great recap, Gnomie!
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

Idol Fan
    Yardgnome, good job! Thanks for the recap. I especially loved your paragraph titles!

Hope you enjoy tonight's show.

FORT Regular
    Excellent recap, Yardgnome!

Quote Originally Posted by Yardgnome;2259374;
    He has no tie on so that must mean tonight is snappy casual on Idol.

I cut and pasted that from last week’s recap because Idol has been doing that to us for the past six seasons. What’s good for the goose is also good for the gander!

Missing You…Not So Much

He informs us about his time in the military for about the 800th time. I guess he just wanted to make sure we NEVER FORGET.

I do notice that when he gets singing he looks a lot like Alfonso Ribeiro and I say a little prayer, “please do the Carlton.” ( that would rule!)

I think I would dedicate my performance to Johnny from the Karate Kid for reminding me that mean people always get what’s coming to them. What does that have to do with anything? Nothing.

Blake is sending this song out to his parents. His dad is the strongest, hardest working, man alive. I think many would disagree with that. Nothing against Mr. Lewis, we all have our opinion.

Paula tells him she felt his heart and I think we are soon going to have another, “I Slept With Paula Abdul” special on our hands.

He sings Mustang Sally and that seems like a really odd choice of a song to dedicate to a son. What do I know? I have no kids.

Not Over Yet…But I Have Stopped Watching

If you have ever sported a denim vest and are finally ready to admit it, please email me
    Too good, Yardgnome, really! The boys were certainly better than last week, but that's not saying much. Great job pulling a hilarious recap from that tedium.

Brilliant recap This line had me rolling:

Make sure to tune in tomorrow to watch the women perform and Thursday night to see who will be auditioning for the Surreal Life.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

Leo
    Premium Member
    Terrific recap, as always Yardgnome!

Time After Time…I Wish This Show Was ˝ Hour

Paula tells him she felt his heart and I think we are soon going to have another, “I Slept With Paula Abdul” special on our hands.
    Awesome recap, Yardgnome!
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Yardgnome;2259374;

He has no tie on so that must mean tonight is snappy casual on Idol.

He’s just so good looking, he could be sounding like total crap and I just wouldn’t even know because his beauty blinds me.

Make sure to tune in tomorrow to watch the women perform and Thursday night to see who will be auditioning for the Surreal Life.
    Great job, Yardgnome

Thanks for the entertaining recap, YG! I loved all the subtitles. Hilarious!

I cut and pasted that from last week’s recap because Idol has been doing that to us for the past six seasons. What’s good for the goose is also good for the gander!
    Exactly!

+ Reply to Thread

LinkBacks (?)