+ Reply to Thread

Thread: AI6: Interview with Amy Krebs: Going German?

AI6: Interview with Amy Krebs: Going German?

On Friday I also participated in a media interview with Amy Krebs. She covered a wide range of questions from making a German album to trying out for Broadway. She seems very level headed and ready to keep pushing her career forward. My questions are highlighted in red.

My first question was, this season there seemed to be a lot of females on the show whole have similar looks and similar styles. Did this make it really hard to stand out? What do you think you could have done or what are the other girls doing to stand out?

A. Krebs: Well, I think everybody kind of has a very distinctive look on the show so far. I think to stand out in American Idol it has a lot to do with your song choice. That’s going to help. Also, with that type of personality and charisma on stage it’s so important, so girls want to be pretty and sometimes we all end up blending in somewhat. I think that that personality and that stage presence definitely is something, and the uniqueness of your voice is something that’s going to allow you to stand out more than anything, more than the way you dress and the way you look.

You said one of the most important things was having a good song choice. Do you think that you made a good song choice?

A. Krebs: You know what, I absolutely love the song. I think, unfortunately, I wasn’t as tuned into the fact that I did a lot of up-tempo songs during the Hollywood week, so I chose a ballad based on that. Unfortunately, America didn’t get to see those up-tempos, which kind of went with the whole personality thing. I think if I would have clicked into that a little bit more I would have chosen something that was up-tempo for sure. For me, it was the first time anybody really saw what I could do, really saw my personality and who I was. I think an up-tempo probably would have been a better choice and to later on have done the Bonnie Raitt song. I think once you got people who know who you are, then they want to see you succeed in doing those kinds of things. You can kind of branch away from what your style is a little bit more once you establish what that is, and I just didn’t have that opportunity and didn’t take that on my first song.

You trained for musical theater. Do you feel you might be better suited for Broadway?

A. Krebs: You know, it’s funny because in this show I think a lot of people get pigeonholed. Some have made comments about, “You sound so much like you’re in musical theater,” and when I was in musical theater I would get, “Please don’t sound like you’re a pop person.” I think the great thing about having that kind of training is I really feel capable to do both. I know when to turn on that musical theater voice, that kind of sound and to have the acting part come into it, but I also really feel that I’m still learning and growing in how to also just perform on stage as a singer, trying to be a songwriter and all those kinds of things. I think that I’m able, because of my training, to do both.

What Broadway play would you like to do?

A. Krebs: My goodness, I went and saw Wicked for my 21st birthday with my mom and got chills just up and down my arms. If I could play Idina Menzel’s character and play the bad witch I would love to play her. I think that’s just a phenomenal role. The nice thing about that role was it kind of is a little more mainstream in the type of voice it requires, the type of music that it is, and it’s such a genius script. It blows my mind every time I see it or I listen to the soundtrack. It’s just phenomenal.

I heard that you lived in Germany and you’re fluent in German, so are there any plans maybe to do a German album? Is singing in German harder than singing in English?

A. Krebs: I was raised in German until I was about three-and-a-half, so that was my first language. It’s now mixed over to more German-English, so a little bit of German and English. German is probably not the most soothing language to sing in. … were talking the other day to each other and I was like, “Man, this is just not a sexy language.” I probably would not be doing a German language album, but I’m so supportive, so inspired by my heritage and where I come from. I love Europe and being in Munich. I would love to do stuff internationally, tour Europe or whatever, because it’s such a beautiful, beautiful country and I feel so at home over there.

Do you go back a lot? Do you keep up with the German artists at all?

A. Krebs: I do keep up somewhat with German artists. One of my cousins back in Munich loves all of that kind of stuff, so we talk a bunch about that. Yes, my dad’s a flight attendant for … Airlines. Before my brothers were born we tried to go back every year, every other year, and now it’s been like every other year, every two years to go back. All of my dad’s family lives over there. It’s not really a vacation, although we take it as a vacation. We visit all the family in Austria and Munich. It’s lovely.

I would like to ask if there’s anything you would have done differently.

A. Krebs: Yes, I think every time you’re on stage, especially for a show like American Idol, you want to be personable and have people remember you. I tried so hard not to come off as being a camera hog and not being fake and I really tried to stay genuine, but I think there was a fine line between doing too much and not doing enough. I don’t think, when I was on camera, that I took full advantage of really letting myself shine as who I was. I think that I would have done that a little bit different and not let my nerves get to me when the camera was on. When the camera was off we had so much more fun because there wasn’t all that pressure leading up to it. I think that’s probably what I would have done differently.

What are you going to miss most about American Idol?

A. Krebs: Well, probably the most is getting to sing on that stage. It’s so exhilarating and fun. The other part of it is I’ve made such good friendships here with the contestants. We were all standing in the hotel last night and hugging everybody. I was like, “I don’t want to leave you guys.” I know it sounds clichéd, but we’ve really formed a tight-knit group. It stinks because they feel like my family out here, so it’s going to be really hard being away from them.

Amy, could you just reflect a little on the whole experience and how different was it from what you thought it was be? How much fun, how much hard work was it?

A. Krebs: This whole experience is a lot of hard work. I think you get out of it what you put into it. I didn’t expect as much. I didn’t expect, especially for Hollywood week, to be as non-stop and constantly going as it was. I don’t think I gave prior contestants as much props for how stressful it really is because you don’t get any sleep, you are barely eating anything, you’re trying to mix and mingle during group days, do your own songs, trying to sound different than other people and still be unique, doing all these interviews. It’s a stressful week and then coming here, it’s nerve-wracking knowing that your fate depends on people voting. It’s a very weird feeling. I think I prepared somewhat well for it, but you never can prepare fully for something that you’ve never done before. There’s nothing else like this. It’s been a whirlwind experience.

Has this prepared you for whatever you decide to do next?

A. Krebs: Please, anything else is going to be a piece of cake. I’m just teasing. Yes, I think this is a great launching pad. I’ve wanted to do music since I was three-years old and tried really hard in New York to get things up and running. It just wasn’t consistent enough, so I feel so blessed to be a part of this show. It will give me an outlet to really put my name out there so I can make some good contacts. I just want to sing and make a living doing this for the rest of my life. Hopefully, American Idol will be the kind of platform for me to be able to do that because I love doing it.

I have a question. It has to do with song choice because that seemed to be a big issue for everybody that was kicked off. Was the song that you sang on Wednesday night your first choice song or was it one of your lower choice songs?

A. Krebs: That’s very funny, actually. It wasn’t my first choice, but we all have to get songs cleared and things like that. Somebody else had actually picked the song I wanted to do. If we really want to do a song we are allowed to do the same song that week, but I didn’t want to do that the first week coming out of the gate. I thought that would be inappropriate. This was my second choice and because I had done all of the faster songs during Hollywood week I thought okay, I could pull a ballad off, no big deal, and it’ll be good.

The great thing about the Bonnie Raitt song, or what I thought was great about it, is it kind of gives you this beautiful melody and really gut-wrenching words and lyrics. I thought I could put something different on it that you don’t hear everybody else do and make it a little bit more me. I guess it didn’t come off as well or as much me as it should have. I think another aspect of it is I just got nervous in front of those cameras when it came time to shine and put on the face. I just fell apart a little bit and got nervous. It’s as much to do with song choice as it is being personable and having that likeability factor and all that good stuff.

What was your first choice song? Who was the other person who sang your first choice song?

A. Krebs: I’m not going to do that. You know what? Everybody sang their songs brilliantly the other night. I really, at the end of the day, was happy with how my song came across, did the best job that I could and all the ladies did such a phenomenal job. We really had a great show. I’m in a group of uber-talented people and feel so blessed to be part of the top 24.

People were saying that the judges were kind of harsh this year. I wanted to know if their criticism was helpful to you or if you thought that they were being unfair and rough.

A. Krebs: It definitely was helpful. I think for me, I got a lot of comments about personality things, which is a little bit of a cheap shot, but I understand where they’re coming from because as a performer, you have to be likeable. People sell records based on if people like them, you know what I mean? I think that it’s something that I’ve always been aware of in myself of not trying to be somebody that I’m not and being comfortable in who I am whether other people like that or not.

Hearing Simon saying some of that cut a little deep because it cut personally and not just as me as an artist and as a musician. It was really helpful also because both Randy and Paula kind of agreed. When you have three out of the three saying that it’s something you need to work on it’s a little more of an aha moment. I just want to be the best performer that I can be. It helps me to know something specifically that I need to work on. I hadn’t gotten a whole lot of critiques during Hollywood week, so as much as I said I wanted a critique, maybe that came to bite me in the butt a little bit. It was good to hear some feedback that I can work and grow on. You can’t ask for anymore than that.

How much would you love to see Simon get up there and sing in front of millions of people?

A. Krebs: That would be hilarious, but I know he would never do it in a million years. He’s so great. I think that’s what’s great about the judges, that they’re so uniquely different. Randy did stuff musically behind the scenes, produced and whatnot. Paula, I’ve been in love with Paula since I was eight and wanted to become a choreographer because of her, wanted to be a Laker Girl because of her, and wanted to be a singer because of her. She has the performance aspect of it. Simon really has a good critiquing eye for what the American public wants to see and wants to hear. Having the mix of all three of those is really great. I wouldn’t want to have two of one and one of the other. It’s good to have a mix of all three.

Where do you see yourself in five years?

A. Krebs: I hope to have at least an album, if not two, out in the next five years and be writing my own songs, be playing my own music. I would love to do some musical theater. I’d love to own a clothing boutique in the next five years. I’d love to get married. Someone in there would be wonderful. I don’t know who, just that I am a working professional, making a living at doing what I love.

Thank you to FOX for allowing us to participate in this call.
    Last edited by Yardgnome; 02-26-2007 at 02:07 PM.

Leo
    Premium Member
    I wasn’t as tuned into the fact that I did a lot of up-tempo songs during the Hollywood week, so I chose a ballad based on that. Unfortunately, America didn’t get to see those up-tempos, which kind of went with the whole personality thing.
    She's right on that point. I wish we could have seen more of her then.

Thanks for the interview Yardgnome.

Wish she could've lasted longer. She seems like a very practical person, reserved but sweet, nice.

She has a good voice, it's different.

She just wasn't very memorable. I was straining my brain trying to remember who she was and what she sang. Thanks for the interview, YG. I wanted to know what her first song choice was, too.

Quote Originally Posted by ShrinkingViolet;2257848;
    I wanted to know what her first song choice was, too.
    I tried really hard but she shot me down quick.

I noticed that. Good try, anyway.

They can't mention anything that might have commercial value--such as something that is not a sponsor of AI? I noticed the name of the airline for whom her father works was edited out. It was apparent on another interview that something was edited out. If FOX doesn't' make money off of it, it must be a no-go.

Chakos::Linkletter::Epley breezez_air's Avatar
    I think she would've been AMAZING singing Stacie Orrico's 'Addictive'. A song that's never been done before (also one that the public won't know) and also one that suits her voice well.
    I don't wanna get fat like you
    Don't even believe in the F Word...FAT
    ...Perhaps you meant PEE AYTCH AY TEE
    Yeah...I did
    - Stacy Ann and Whitney- ANTM 10

+ Reply to Thread

LinkBacks (?)

1. 02-26-2007, 08:19 PM