+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 1/11 Show Discussion **Spoilers** (Finale)

Quote Originally Posted by dberk
    Apparently Branson was only looking for someone to play with afterall.

Why all the big hupla during the interrogation to try to learn who buckled under pressure, only to have Branson pick Shawn?!
    Shawn showed that he was all about "me, me, me". How the heck does he expect people to follow him, if he doesn't pay attention to anyone else, but himself. He also got upset when Gabe didn't pick him (twice), and when Sara's team was grueling him, even after it was pointed out that he had a short tempered. He even admitting his weaknessess but he didn't try to correct or overcome them. He kept on being his self-absorbed calculative self.

I think Gabe described both of them so well when he said "He would follow Shawn to the moon, but he would follow Sara in the business world."

Shawn is more like a dreamer, who cares mostly about his dreams and having fun doing it, and Sara is a little more reserved, but she gets the job done, and is a team player.

I'm rather dissapointed that Shawn won, but I pretty much thought that Branson would pick Shawn since he was was creative, even though he didn't think things through, and most importantly, because he had fun doing all the physical challenges. Something that I think, weighed a lot more with Branson. But Whatever! If he wanted a play buddy, he should've just called his show "The Billionaire's Play Buddy" or something like that.

Oh, and I can't believe that Heather was being such a loser when she said she felt shafted because she didn't get anything. She felt that she helped Shawn win in the end, but unless she was being dishonest, why would anyone expect something back for helping a person you believe in.

I still like Branson as a person, but I'm a little dissapointed on his pick. I'm so glad that Gabe also won something. He was my favorite one to win.

He also got upset when Gabe didn't pick him (twice), and when Sara's team was grueling him, even after it was pointed out that he had a short tempered.
    Even worse, he purposefully put Gabe in the middle. Twice. Was it gamesmanship or selfishness? I think a lot of both.

And actually as gamesmanship, it wasn't all that smart either. Here Shawn was, taking a man who he knew was equally partial to both parties, and he puts him in a position where he shoves it in his face that he has to choose. If I were Gabe I would have resented that--especially the second time.
    Last edited by Krom; 01-12-2005 at 12:10 AM.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Heather's sour grapes in the end was funny and it served her right to not get anything for "handing Shawn the win". She never worked with Shawn and had nothing nice to say about him according to the others, but refused to give into Gabe's logic. Clearly she just couldn't stand to officially lose the argument with Gabe.

Let me see, if I got this right...

Winners:
    Shawn: Gets to be Branson's playmate for a few months.
    Sara: Gets $750,000 to start a charity organization - her dream job.
    Gabe: A job?
    Branson: A playmate with more daring than brains.
    Heather: A bite in the ass by Karma.

Quote Originally Posted by EXlurker
    I kind of expected that. 3 months? He should have taken the million.

He got the million plus the 3 month job

Shawn also gets official Branson support and seed money for a new joint venture IF he passes the next test--a 3 month long job interview. It's far from a sure thing, and since awareness of this show WILL fall pretty far off the radar now, it's not like there's any great expectation that it will be in the public eye if he kicks Shawn to the curb when he's done with him.

I also doubt Sara will be giving up her day job easily. Even if it's small potatoes compared to even the smallest Virgin company, she seems justifiably proud of it. Unless, of course, some whale comes along now and buys it from her for a huge profit due to it's increased profile. Well, anyway, that might have been the case if this show wasn't such a ratings bomb.

This thread reveals something we might have missed:
    http://fansofrealitytv.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=38336

Branson agreeing to let Shawn's company produce those pillows for all of Virgin Airlines was ALREADY a contract worth quite a bit--possibly as much as a million or two. Shawn's win might have been further payback for this. Although it's possible that this also could have been a huge consolation prize if Shawn has already served his 3 month sentence unspoiled to the world and was lacking what Branson wanted to see. The Pillow could have been an easy way out.

Quote Originally Posted by EXlurker
    I kind of expected that. 3 months? He should have taken the million.
    He DID get to keep the million since he refused the coin-flip thing. I liked this show a lot, although I did want Sara to win. I was glad that they did give her money to set up a charity. And what was up with that beach Heather... "I was the only one that didn't get anything?" What an idiot.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

It's a bird, it's a plane EXlurker's Avatar
    I finally got to see the finale and, wow, what a great prize. They should have combined last week's episode with tonight's. The whole thing took too long. And what was the point of the kite surf challenge?

FORT Fan
    It was a good final episode. The challenges were all good, except for the last where it was obvious that a deadlock would occur. It would have been better to have Gabe and Heather argue in front of Branson. Of course, it would have been better if Sara won instead of Shawn.

The speeches were both tame in my estimation. Sara's was a boring oration about her company and Shawn spouted worthless platitudes, but what can we expect. The physical challenge had no bearing on the result so it was pretty pointless. The interrogation was good though. When they started picking teams, I was shocked they both went after Gabe first. I thought they'd know that the evil ones would make harder questions. Steve, Heather, Nicole, etc. should have been high picks because they would gladly rip the other person to shreds.

Well the shows ends and at least Branson comes out looking well. However, I don't think there will be a second Rebel.

I am not suprised that Shawn won, but I am disappointed. Sara was my favourite since the first episode. Shawn wasn't someone I really disliked, and I thought that he had an adventerous side that would appeal to Richard Branson. He did show some bad judgement and he seemed even more self-absorbed after last nights episode. His speech and his answers to the questions lowered my opinion of him somewhat. And his choice of Heather to be his final advocate, although it worked out for him, showed in my opinion appallingly bad judegement. Still I don't think that Shwan was a bad choice, he just wasn't Sara (or Gabriel for that matter). For what Richard was looking for he probably fit the criteria. Shawn is not someone that I would want to work for or with, but he was creative.

The speeches were not very inspiring. I thought that Shawn would be a better talker than Sara, but neither one was. I really did not like Shawn's "I want this so bad my teeth hurt" comment. Was there a contestant that did not want to win? And his comment about not giving any part of his winnings to charity because he thought that it would be better invested in his business turned me off.

I don't think that Sara would have gone for the coin toss, even though she encouraged Shawn to do so. I believe that she thought that it was more in his personality to go for it. It doesn't seem to be as much a part of her make-up.
    I was glad to see that Gabriel got something. He really seemed to be liked by everyone. It does say something about Shawn that he still picked Gabriel to go work with him, even though he twice picked Sara over Shawn. Shawn did not hold a grudge . (Mind you he also twice put Gabriel in a really awkward position.)

After being invisible for a lot of the show, Heather really turned out to be evil incarnate, didn't she? Beside her comment about being the only one not getting anything (what about all the other contestants who didn't win? what about the adventures she went on? what about the African village they helped?), my other moment laughing at Heather last night was when she accused Gabriel of being stubborn. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

One last comment: the return of Jermaine. He was every bit the idiot I remembered him to be. If this guy makes his living making motivational speeches there must be something strange about the people who go see him. The only thing that he motivates me to do is reach for the mute button.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast