+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Branson's TV Show Goes Over Like Lead Balloon

Branson's TV Show Goes Over Like Lead Balloon

Aww . . . I really like this show. From Yahoo News; link to article here.

Branson's TV Show Goes Over Like Lead Balloon

By Steve Gorman

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Fox television's "The Rebel Billionaire," starring daredevil British tycoon Sir Richard Branson is going over with viewers like a lead balloon.

The show, subtitled "Branson's Quest for the Best," debuted to dismal ratings three weeks ago and has declined nearly 20 percent in average audience through its latest episode on Tuesday night, according to Nielsen Media Research.

Promoted as Fox's answer to NBC's hit series "The apprentice," Starring real estate mogul Donald Trump, Branson's show has averaged fewer than 5 million viewers per week.

It ranks No. 5 for its hour and a lowly 91 among all prime-time shows in household ratings. Nevertheless, a Fox spokesman said the News Corp.-owned network plans to stick with the show through the planned 12-episode run.

"It's going to remain on the air," Fox spokesman Scott Grogin told Reuters. "Creatively, we're extremely pleased with the show. And we hope the audience will find it."

"The Rebel Billionaire" centers on a group of young entrepreneurs competing to be named president of Branson's business empire, which includes Virgin Atlantic Airways, Virgin Records and Virgin Megastores.

In addition to engaging in common business tasks demanded by Trump, like creating marketing campaigns and designing new products, the contestants on Branson's show also perform stunts like walking a plank suspended in mid-air between hot-air balloons.

Branson's own headline-grabbing exploits have included failed attempts to circle the world in a hot-air balloon and a record-breaking dash across the Atlantic in a powerboat.

"Rebel Billionaire" casts itself as an antidote to the material excess celebrated on "Apprentice" and even has a scene showing a Trump look-alike emerging from a limousine as Branson steps out of a taxi.

Though it has slipped in the ratings from last season, "Apprentice" still averages nearly 16 million viewers and ranks No. 4 among all prime-time shows in ratings for viewers aged 18-49, the group most prized by advertisers.

I have to admit, I also like this show.

OK I have never seen it, but I love reading the Re-caps on this site.

I love this show. It has a lot of edge-of-the-seat excitement. Can't say I think of it as a business show, though. I hope FOX follows through with their statement that it will remain on the air.

I hope that Fox sticks with its intention to keep the show on the air.

I do not understand why it is getting such dismal ratings. I think it's a great show.
    When it first came on I did not expect to like it, but I do.

I'm enjoying it too. I think part of the problem is that it is on opposite Manhunt (which ends this next week) and The Biggest Loser. For some reason, Tuesdays have become Reality Night.

LG.
    I like it too. Tuesdays have always been jam-packed with reality tv. Some seasons The Amazing Race has been on Tuesdays. Last Comic Standing was a Tuesday staple. As was Dog Eat Dog. I only know this because I recapped it

Sounds like Fox is going to air this show. They've followed through with quite a few shows that didn't have terrific ratings right off the bat, esp. if they've sunk production money into them (like the first season of 24).
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

It's a real shame this show isn't getting ratings. Now, I admit that I TiVo it and watch it at another time because of its slot, but still, it's definitely on my must-watch list.

I think this show has a little bit of everything and it should be a hit. I can't really begin to think why it isn't a big hit. Hopefully it catches on quickly.

The stunts on this show are terrifying. I can't watch it, going to the dentist is less scary.

Quote Originally Posted by John
    It's a real shame this show isn't getting ratings. Now, I admit that I TiVo it and watch it at another time because of its slot, but still, it's definitely on my must-watch list.
    In my opinion, the show started bad, but got much better. Branson as host always worked, but what took time was for the "character" of the contestants to come out. Probably because the show avoided using quickie stereotypical descriptions for them.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast