+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: 11/09 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

The stunts are part of it. RB is not asking anyone to do anything he would not do himself. I would love to do this things and yes there is risk involved. That is part of the motivation and thrill. Overcoming that to enjoy the experience. Have you looked at the expression on people's faces when they are able to accomplish the task and the feeling of success that they have. Everyone was wearing safety harnesses they could clearly be seen.
    Last edited by ref guy; 11-10-2004 at 12:00 PM.
    All the world needs a common thread, soccer, soccer, soccer
    TASAIL !!! ETHAN still #1!!! DISC Go Jon & Kris on TAR

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by kraziladi
    Branson was on CNN and stated that he would still be on the Board as CEO. He will give the winner a mil and yes they would be president. He hoped they would come from this as a (great) entrepenuer, whom would eventually have their own very successful company. Handing the company over I agree is for "TV".
    I knew he would remain CEO. The fact he hopes they would become a great entrepenuer says this job is for a limited engagement which is not reflected in the promo's. Why not just state what the prize really is? sheeeeesh

I doubt anyone believes the big fat, fat big, big fat lie but how ridiculous to say he was going to hand over his company without further clairification.

HIDDEN IN PLAIN SIGHT kraziladi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogbat
    I knew he would remain CEO. The fact he hopes they would become a great entrepenuer says this job is for a limited engagement which is not reflected in the promo's. Why not just state what the prize really is? sheeeeesh

I doubt anyone believes the big fat, fat big, big fat lie but how ridiculous to say he was going to hand over his company without further clairification.
    ITA - Just like Bill Rancic is running Trump's building of a Skyscraper in Chicago - not.
    When you put your whole body into the dance, your spirit will follow.

HIDDEN IN PLAIN SIGHT kraziladi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RALPH124C41
    I really don't understand the need for stunts to prove who will be a better businessman or businesswoman. OF course, I can see all the parallels of being brave enough to face your fear ... etc., but I still don't see why.
    A mirrored image of him - krazi enough to take those risks - JMO
    When you put your whole body into the dance, your spirit will follow.

Jay
    Rancic's official title is "owner's representative". Sounds like a go-fer for the REAL bosses.

Why do these egomanic billionaires lie to us about the winner's job? Just hand over the million dollar check and be done with it. Spare us the dramatics.

Link

The CMAs improved to a 12.3/18 in their second hour on CBS. NBC remained in second with "The Biggest Loser" (7.8/12) and "Scrubs" (5.9/9). ABC's "According to Jim" and "Rodney" finished third for the crowded hour. On FOX, "Rebel Billionaire" improved slightly to a 3.3/5 and edged The WB's "One Tree Hill." UPN's "Veronica Mars" was stuck at a 1.8/3 for the night.

Damnit, they finished 4th. I really thought it would do better than that. Why would anyone want to watch 'The Biggest Loser' over 'Rebel Billionaire' is a mystery to me.

Fox better not cancel this show, if the ratings don't get better.

And here are my thoughts on the show:

This was a great 2 hour show and I felt the intensity of the balloon crossing and climb. And I agree that Sara, who made it to the top of the balloon should win that round. She put a lot more effort and fought against her incredible fear of heights to make it to the top. She really looks familiar to me for some reason.

And it was an interesting twist with Candida & Jermaine at the end. They will be elimated pretty soon. For a motivational speaker, Jermaine is sure full of himself. And Candida isn't much better. She doesn't know when to shut up.

So far I am impressed with Sara, but what's up with her being the owner of a company that sells footless pantyhose? What a waste of time!

Chris

Care for a jelly baby? TheDoctor's Avatar
    I have to say, this show has impressed me more than I thought it would based on the previews. In fact I hadn't even planned on watching it, and just happened to stumble on it as I was channel surfing. I figured it was going to be an (especially weak) takeoff on The Apprentice, except with silly stunts instead of, you know, actual business-related tasks? As someone else pointed out, how does being a Fear-Factor-type champion qualify you to run a multinational conglomerate? (I still don't know the answer to that one...)

Nevertheless, both my wife and I are definitely willing to give the show a chance for one main reason: Richard Branson. No Trump-style pomp and fanfare when he arrives - he just pops out of a taxi cab, or maybe just saunters into the room and says "Hi guys!" No explusions along the lines of "You're fired - now all of you, get out of here!" As Richard pointed out on The Daily Show, he was genuinely tearing up when he said goodbye to Richard on the tarmac. And no Jeff or Joe-style smirking while he sits back and watches the contestants do terrifying things - no, he's right there with them, climbing the balloon first, strapping himself to the plane, and (apparently from previews) going over Victoria Falls in a barrel just like everyone else.

So insofar as he can be judged from a single episode, he looks like he'll be a great host. That alone should keep the show entertaining.

To me, just the fact that there was no Donald Trump would make it more interesting than the Apprentice. Richard Branson is far more interesting than the Donald.
    When he said that he was going to get rid of two people based on his impressions while observing them I was afraid that it might be already degenerating into the Benafactor. But after that I found it very interesting.
    I don't know what doing these extreme stunts have to do with becoming a company president, but they beat giving dogs a message in the park.
    So far thumbs up from me.

Quote Originally Posted by mrpayroll
    This was a great 2 hour show and I felt the intensity of the balloon crossing and climb. And I agree that Sara, who made it to the top of the balloon should win that round. She put a lot more effort and fought against her incredible fear of heights to make it to the top. She really looks familiar to me for some reason.
    I kept looking at her thinking she looks like somebody. I ended up with three different people that she reminds me of. Joely Richardson, a young, thin Emma Thompson and Holly, the goofy paramedic from Third Watch.

I was proud of her when she got to the top of the balloon.

I'm kind of ambivalent about this show. On the one hand, it doesn't seem like Branson has the "in your face" mentality that Trump has, and honestly feels bad about having to cut ANYONE off of the team. Thus his handing out of the tickets, so he doesn't actually have to say "You're fired" and tell the person to their face why they were not chosen. This is why Trump and "The Apprentice" are so succesful....we LOVE to watch people squirm in the boardroom.

On the other hand, the feats and stunts, and seeing these contestants overcome their fears and physical shortcomings to acheive their goal in these feats is mind bogglinging good "feel good" tv. I was very impressed when Sara made it to the top of the balloon, I almost started to cry. There is something about overcoming fears and succeeding that is just so watchable.

It's a great concept. I have to give it a little more time before I decide if I will watch the whole thing, or write it off and quit watching.
    "You don't own a TV?!? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribianni

It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

+ Reply to Thread