+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: 11/09 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

FORT Regular
    My other thought about the baton (or in Branson speak 'batan') passing is that it seemed that the whole thing was decided by the pilots. Either they could/would fly the planes close enough and they could pass the baton or the pilots wouldn't get close enough.

Admittedly climbing out on top of those wings was a fairly gutsy thing to do.

All in all while this is a combination of many other reality shows, I don't fel it measured up to any of them. The best part is watching Branson enjoy himself so much.

oh and whoever the "I'll eat Heather's soul" girl is, from the promos, has got to go.

2 hours of this show and boy is this one a stinker! It's such a wannabe Apprentice ripoff. I wonder what type of ratings it's going to get.

I watched a little bit of this show, and I'm astonished at the death-defying stunts these guys have to perform. Of course, the contestants are there by their own free will, but geez...climbing on top of the wings of a plane with what it seemed only a harness is extremely scary.

Props to those girls for having the guts to do it. I agree with ARFan65, that passing the baton was more up to the pilots because the girls were ready. I think the pilots missed the first time just to add drama to the mix.

Not a great show, but I love all the exotic destinations these guys get to visit. Also, I like that the crazy billionaire also joins in on the stunts.

My verdict:

-Stunts: spectacular
    -Branson: A more personable billionaire than the two previous

But here's the problem. Those two things aren't enough. They make the show fascinating when Branson is talking, and during the stunts. But it's boring and/or derivative the rest of the time. So you get 15 good minutes and 30-something minutes of crap.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

FORT Fogey
    I don't believe, for one second, that he is going to hand over control of Virgin Air to the winner. There is a huge catch here. Maybe for one week, while closely watched?

HIDDEN IN PLAIN SIGHT kraziladi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogbat
    I don't believe, for one second, that he is going to hand over control of Virgin Air to the winner. There is a huge catch here. Maybe for one week, while closely watched?
    Branson was on CNN and stated that he would still be on the Board as CEO. He will give the winner a mil and yes they would be president. He hoped they would come from this as a (great) entrepenuer, whom would eventually have their own very successful company. Handing the company over I agree is for "TV".
    When you put your whole body into the dance, your spirit will follow.

Absolutely, typical FOX
    Support the FORT - Go Green

HIDDEN IN PLAIN SIGHT kraziladi's Avatar
    OK right out of the gates I want to say I am biased, because I am a Hot Air Balloon Pilot. I am somewhat of a Risk Taker. I thought the show was great. Much more intriquing spin-off than many out there. I would much rathar watch normal people doing death defying - never before done stunts, than watch people eating blended rats. I will continue to watch both Apprentice and Fear Factor as I enjoy them both.

How refreshing to have the Man In Charge actually doing the stunts - With a personality to boot. The boss is saying, I am not asking you to do anything I wouldn't do. Keeping in mind Branson is not your normal boss. He has a place in history for adventurers, let alone his company.

Little details about the balloon stunts....When the balloon is flying, it is flying with the wind, thus they did not have wind when walking across the beam they where moving with it. Same with the ladder stunt.
    The top of a balloon is normally not secured with anything, it is just the heat that keeps it sealed. They would have had to secure the top as to not "unseal" with the weight. It appeared that they had some type of board that had been placed on the top for everyone to walk on, the table, etc. Sara stepped off the board.

Looking forward to the rest of this season.
    When you put your whole body into the dance, your spirit will follow.

I caught about 40 minutes of this show and was perfectly willing to give it a chance simply because I thought this billonaire guy would make an interesting show (that and there was NOTHING else on I wanted to watch).

I was wrong.

The pace of the show is wrong - too much blah, blah, blah.

I think the premise of the show is wrong as well - what's next, eating live cobras and then a rattlesnake ranching round-up for the losers who couldn't eat the cobras? Please!

The boring narrative, the stupid "balloon tea party", and dragging out even the smallest bit of drama makes the show stink so bad that aliens can smell it from space. I turned it off before seeing who amongst the mad tea party was voted off but I'm secretly hoping it's the current president of Virgin.

:phhht :phhht :phhht :phhht :phhht (out of 5)

It's interesting ... but

This is an interesting show but it really seems to be derivative of many shows. It has the stunts of "Fear Factor," the business competition and teams of "Apprentice," the globe-trotting settings of "Amazing Race" and the twists and turns of "The Benefactor."

I admit I like parts of it. The stunts are great, just great. It out-Fear Factors Fear Factor in that respect, I think. And I like getting to see different parts of the world ... and I like the twists and turns. I also liked "The Benefactor" because of all the plot surprises.

But because it is so many things, it may not have a hard-enough focus. For example, I really don't understand the need for stunts to prove who will be a better businessman or businesswoman. OF course, I can see all the parallels of being brave enough to face your fear ... etc., but I still don't see why.

And I already have one question. Branson explained he dismissed Tim the lawyer (was that his name) because he said he thought his background would not lend itself to his entrepreneurial needs. If so, why was he chosen in the first place? Branson said 50,000 people applied. Couldn't he had found one other person whose background was more conducive to the job?

+ Reply to Thread