+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 28 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast
Like Tree194Likes

Thread: Vanderpump Rules

Re: Vanderpump Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Jexter View Post
    I like this goofy show because it really speaks to how young young people really are. All those "kids" have growing up to do. It takes longer for some than for others. Jax is an exception of course. I hope he keeps on with therapy as he really needs it, I think.
    Jexter, yes, there's a slimy element in the younger scene, but outright depravity like Lisa's people... from what I see it's not how a lot of young people really are....and I sure hope there are lots of twenty-somethings like the ones I see....kids coming out of high school who are serious about their SATs, get excited about excelling in college, enjoy their friendships and try to do good things with one another, get in and out of relationships with some aplomb, and don't engage in the filthy life. They get into their twenties and are already serious about who they want to be, and have lots of decent fun with one another. I know a bunch of them, and hear their talk sometimes when they're hanging out here. The girls do talk about dabbling with skeevy men, they hit the lowlife bars once in awhile to see what it's like; but don't make it a lifestyle like Lisa's people..

Mostly I'm amazed by Lisa, the crud she lets into her business and her life. There's no reason to run a restaurant like that.
    "Not my circus. Not my monkeys"
    ~~ Old Polish Proverb ~~

Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brains fall out. Carl Sagan.

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    Jax needs a dominatrix.
    He's got one -- her name is Stassi.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Prism View Post
    Jexter, yes, there's a slimy element in the younger scene, but outright depravity like Lisa's people... from what I see it's not how a lot of young people really are....and I sure hope there are lots of twenty-somethings like the ones I see....kids coming out of high school who are serious about their SATs, get excited about excelling in college, enjoy their friendships and try to do good things with one another, get in and out of relationships with some aplomb, and don't engage in the filthy life. They get into their twenties and are already serious about who they want to be, and have lots of decent fun with one another. I know a bunch of them, and hear their talk sometimes when they're hanging out here. The girls do talk about dabbling with skeevy men, they hit the lowlife bars once in awhile to see what it's like; but don't make it a lifestyle like Lisa's people..

Mostly I'm amazed by Lisa, the crud she lets into her business and her life. There's no reason to run a restaurant like that.
    My point was just that young people ARE young. They hold jobs (for the most part), date (and whatever else), dream, etc. They just haven't moved into full adulthood with full responsibilities.

They are learning who they are and what they want out of life, and I find it rather sweet. What I also like them is that they are enjoying this time in life. They are just having fun, being free, doing their thing, etc. It will catch up with them, but I like their spirit. It's a tough time for many that age. I am of the mindset that everyone should enjoy life to its fullest - esp. young people who are still free in mind, body, and spirit.

And, I don't think they are skeevy. I think they aren't the brightest bulbs on the planet and hence don't make the best decisions. In addition, their goals aren't bad, they are just less common - and very ego-driven. They want to be "stars".

There is something about performers that makes them seem a little more shallow than others. Can't recall who it was...Paul Rudd comes to mind...who said once that acting/singing/performing, etc. are very ego driven acivities. The "artist" is on a stage with the sole purpose of being watched and adored.

I'm not offended by any of them, though. It's who they are...it's what they want...and it doesn't hurt anyone in the process (except Jax and Stassi). I actually like them a great deal (except Stassi).

The one I am most offended by is Lisa. I was very disappointed about how she talked about Tom and his girlfriend at the reunion. She openly played favorites. I've never been on the Lisa train 100% and this sealed the deal. I'll never be on her train. What she said was cruel.

xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Regarding young people in general, I actually think the young people of today are generally very impressive. They are educated and/or aware. I have two kids who are 22 and 23. They are cream of the crop kids who will be assets to the world. Their network of friends is the very same way, so I get the difference between them and the Sur gang. But at the end of the day, the only differences are their goals and decision-making capabilities.

As to sleeping around...the sexuality at Sur (and the partying) is the same at Yale. Guaranteed.
    Last edited by Jexter; 03-13-2013 at 09:37 PM.

Jexter, I guess I agree with you more than I disagree about this group. They are a disappointing bunch right now though; they come across as being dirty; and Lisa is disappointing for the way she mishandles it. It's hard for me to see how they'll become quality people... but maybe it'll happen, maturity makes for major changes.
    "Not my circus. Not my monkeys"
    ~~ Old Polish Proverb ~~

Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brains fall out. Carl Sagan.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I agree with most of what Jexter said but, of course, not all. We all went through our independent learning in our 20s, usually hoping that our parents and others would not find out. Did we all make good, responsible decisions....of course not, but we learned as we went along. That's just the way life works. We all did things and then went home with our halos polished to a high gleam hoping that our parental units would not find out; I always got a kick out of confessing to my naughtiness much later on....and watching the looks on their faces. They'd look at me with their mouths hanging, slightly, agape. And then I could see the look of "been there, done that" on their faces. And, of course, I would not tell them absolutely everything. That's where your developing judgment comes in; that's also learned in time and over many experiences.

These "kids" are just going through the regular processes. I'm just glad that I didn't choose their careers, because I think I would have been bored to tears. There's just so much more to life. My ego just isn't that big.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I don't think age has anything to do with maturity or lack there of. Both of my sons are in this age bracket & I don't see any of this behaviour in them or their friends. My youngest gets drunk on 1 beer :0 and I play fantasy football/baseball with my oldest son & his group of friends. There just isn't any of this drama.
    Just for the record I am not the only parent in this group.
    Some people dream of having a big swimming pool - with me it's closets."
    -Audrey Hepburn.

I have a 16 year old daughter with whom the shi@ is just lately beginning to hit the fan. They have to learn to be independent, so their acting out is of course somewhat normal as they learn to detach from parents. It's good. It's hard to convince yourself of that as a parent though, when you are going through the mess that can ensue... the dramas, the attitude problems, the idealism that often makes them think of all adults as hypocrites. They still haven't learned the difference between real honor and telling it like it is, lol.

I hope of course that some of the things these kids are doing don't enter my daughter's sphere of experience, but at the same time I realize that she won't learn anything if she doesn't go through some hard times.

All of the above does not make me like these kids any better, but I also find Lisa worse than the kids, for many reasons.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Prism View Post
    Jexter, I guess I agree with you more than I disagree about this group. They are a disappointing bunch right now though; they come across as being dirty; and Lisa is disappointing for the way she mishandles it. It's hard for me to see how they'll become quality people... but maybe it'll happen, maturity makes for major changes.
    Well, you have a point too! They do seem to sleep around with amazing casualness. Some more than others.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I've learned that age + experience = maturity.....unless they are abnormal.

I've also learned that our children will let us know/see exactly what they want us to see.....and that won't be everything. I remember that, around certain parents, if they thought we were "angels" that we went out of our way to keep them thinking that, while our friends may have been giving us the "stink eye".

Like lily said, so their acting out is of course somewhat normal as they learn to detach from parents. I'd say that as long as we don't get called to the hospital, the jail, or the morgue we are in pretty good shape.
    Prism likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

how old are most of these kids? I was a wild child but I grew out of that by age 25. Those that don't have real housewives tendencies,lol
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

+ Reply to Thread