+ Reply to Thread
Page 96 of 108 FirstFirst ... 468687888990919293949596979899100101102103104105106 ... LastLast
Like Tree483Likes

Thread: Bethenny Ever After

FORT Regular

Re: Bethenny Ever After

Her biological clock was ticking. Even if she froze her eggs I doubt she wanted to be close to 50 raising an infant.

I admit that I was fooled by Bethenny. I really thought she longed for a family and stability. I thought she would mellow out. Not so. I never saw where she tried to settle down, raise their daughter and enjoy being a family. It was always something off the wall, like reality shows, wedding on tv, remodel apt. on tv., book tour, skating on ice tv show, talk show in LA, etc. IMO, it was too much me, me, me and not enough about Bryn and her husband.
    Prism, Coco46 and AlwaysVeg like this.

FORT Fogey

I actually think she genuinely does want a family and stability. She just does not understand what those things mean. Bethenny is so focused on herself that she does not know that family involves give and take. She sees it in terms of having people in her life to take care of HER and focus on HER. She doesn't realize that in a real, healthy family in addition to the take of having someone take care of you, you are also responsible for taking care of them!
    SugarMama and AlwaysVeg like this.

So, I've seen a few older episodes of the NY housewives show which included Bethenny. It was not really enough to give me a good idea of what she was like, but I've watched her on Andy's show and so on, so I've always been a little curious about her. Especially with all the stuff she and Jill went through.

What is this tragic background everybody speaks of? I think I heard her father was Bobby Frankel, a horse trainer I knew of years ago through my interest in thoroughbred racing. He became somewhat successful, I believe, only I don't remember right now the name of the first important race winner he trained.

So can anybody sort of summarize her traumatic childhood, or is there reading I can do on old threads here to get a better idea of why she seems to be so challenged in life? Seems to have a pretty good life to me, but then I wouldn't want those cameras around all the time, lol.

FORT Fogey

I liked her at first, too, but I stopped watching during the second season after it became obvious that her success had completely gone to her head. I only know the Jason I saw on TV, but he seemed a good man, and I thought she was lucky to have found someone like him to be her life partner. I thought anyone in her right mind would appreciate a loyal, stable, loving man like him with great parents. She seemed to have everything she could want. Jason, Bryn, and his mom and dad gave her the loving family she was missing. I think all her therapy has done her no good, and now she is asking that Jason pay for it?! She was in therapy long before he came along, and if I were Bethenny, I'd get myself a new therapist who's more proactive in telling it like it is instead of sitting there like a bobblehead listening to her being a babblehead. Of course, I don't think she wants anyone who could really help her. She wants to be in charge and control everything and everyone. I dont understand why Ellen is so proactive in supporting her career.

Well, this is a darned shame. Jason seemed like the guy to keep her stable- though IMO he was a little too attached to his parents. In a way, though, that should have been a good thing for Bethenny. Had she embraced "family" she might have shed some insecurities and stopped looking for the dark places in her life.

I do like her for her sharp mind, her acerbic wit, imagination, and business savvy; sorry she couldn't make a go of having a satisfying personal life. The divorce may stunt her for a good long time.
    "Not my circus. Not my monkeys"
    ~~ Old Polish Proverb ~~

Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brains fall out. Carl Sagan.

I agree. That family was a gift to her -- a way to experience a positive family that she didn't get the first time around, but she rejected it. I think one of Jason's most appealing traits was his affection for his parents. I can relate because I really like my parents, and I like spending time with them. If my partner treated them the way that Bethenny did Jason's parents, that would be a deal-breaker.
    AlwaysVeg likes this.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by scootad View Post
    Her biological clock was ticking. Even if she froze her eggs I doubt she wanted to be close to 50 raising an infant.
    I'm sure it was but her own choices led her to being old without the family she said she wanted...how many years did she spend with that other Jason who told her over and over, he didn't want to get married nor did he want more kids??

Quote Originally Posted by AcookerTV View Post
    I actually think she genuinely does want a family and stability. She just does not understand what those things mean. Bethenny is so focused on herself that she does not know that family involves give and take. She sees it in terms of having people in her life to take care of HER and focus on HER. She doesn't realize that in a real, healthy family in addition to the take of having someone take care of you, you are also responsible for taking care of them!
    Yes, but how old do you have to be to understand what these things mean? She's 42 now and it's a little late.

I think Bethanny was given a great choice when she found and married Jason...I'm sure he's not perfect...who is? But he was a great guy. I loved that he was close to his parents, who seemed like "salt of the earth" people and really decent. I know from experience that when a family loses one of the kids, those remaining tend to be even closer, like Jason and his parents.

Bethanny is not bad. I think she instinctually knows what she needs but is her own worst enemy. She could learn what it takes to have her wants and needs of family...it's not too late. I just don't think she wants to give up her fame, her fans and her need to succeed.
    I had thought she would finally learn when she had Bryn...but her "wants" are too big.
    AlwaysVeg likes this.

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

A very emotional Bethenny was in tears on The Ellen Show today, and it was so painful to watch. She was totally broken hearted and said what she was going through was excruciating. She said that although so many people seem to think her marriage failed because of her obsession for work, that was not how it was at all. In fact, for the last 6 months she has not worked much at all, and has been basically a 'stay-at-home' mom, trying very, very hard to make her marriage work and to keep her family together. When Ellen mentioned to the audience that Bethenny could have cancelled the interview in light of the hard times she was going through, Bethenny said no, she felt she ought to keep her commitment. Here's what she said (as reported by 'Gather'):

Bethenny Frankel Opens Up About Her Divorce On 'The Ellen Degeneres Show'
    January 09, 2013 12:00 PM EST

"Do I want to be doing this exact thing [being on the show] right now? No, but I can't just only be on reality TV and show everything when it's fairy princess, fairy tale - and then not take my hits when I have to," Bethenny told Ellen Degeneres on her daytime talk show. Bethenny has never been one to hide how she's feeling. In fact, she even admitted to the problems she and Jason had been having in their marriage on her own show. So it's good to see that despite her hard times, she's staying true to who she is.

"I feel like a disappointment to all of you. And I feel like a failure." When Ellen tried her best to convince Bethenny of otherwise, she insisted, "I feel like a failure. This is excruciating, I have to say." Bethenny was obviously very emotional during the appearance, struggling through tears at times." Bethenny Frankel Opens Up About Her Divorce On... | Gather

FORT Fogey

Dragonlady, I don't think learning about family is an age thing. It's a learning thing, and Bethenny hasn't shown the curiosity to learn it. Many people have the benefit of learning what family is all about by experiencing it growing up. Bethenny did not get that. I have friends who were essentially abandoned by their parents growing up like Bethenny was. One of my best friends essentially just co-existed in her house with her mom throughout her junior high and high school years. In my friend's case, she learned what family is, and what roles are expected by everyone, through spending time with friends and experiencing functioning families there. On the other hand, I think that Bethenny became so self-reliant that she has never stopped to observe families and really learn about how they function. The woman clearly has a capability to learn. She observed and studied business enough to figure out how it works. But she's never made herself humble enough when it comes to relationships to back away and study them too. Now, she's at a point in her life where she has surrounded herself with a lot of people who take care of her needs, who Bethenny probably considers to be her friends, but who probably view her more as a boss who they work for, and then go home to their friends and family who take care of them. I don't think age will fix Bethenny's problems. THe only thing that might is if someone is willing to stick their neck out and tell her what she does not want to hear - that focusing on a marraige does not mean "Don't go to work".It means putting your husband's needs ahead of your own. I'm hopeful that person can be Ellen. She now has a vested interest in Bethenny being successful, so she has a reason to want to help Bethenny. She's also more powerful than Bethenny, and therefore doesn't NEED Bethenny to help her out like many of the other people around her do. I think it would be great if Ellen somehow found ways (behind the scenes unknown to the rest of us until 10 years down the road when they share stories like Oprah and Rosie did) to make Bethenny hear the things she doesn't want to hear, and recognize the ways that she emasculated Jason, and wasn't working effectively at her marraige when she thought she was.
    Dragonlady and AlwaysVeg like this.

+ Reply to Thread