+ Reply to Thread
Page 93 of 108 FirstFirst ... 438384858687888990919293949596979899100101102103 ... LastLast
Like Tree483Likes

Thread: Bethenny Ever After

FORT Fogey

Re: Bethenny Ever After

A mismatch from the beginning. Nothing more, nothing less. I just hope co-parenting goes well for all 3.

It will be interesting to see what Bethany is doing with her life when she's 65.
    norealityhere likes this.

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

I am surprised at how damning most of the posters are against Bethenny. She is pretty much the same person she was when Jason met her. You can't go into a marriage thinking you're going to change your partner. Bethenny was always smart, sassy, sexy, insecure, and obsessively driven to succeed in business and/or the entertainment field. I don't know what changes Jason hoped for when they were dating, but those changes obviously didn't happen. Both of them are good people. Jason is pretty much as close to the 'ideal' man (relationship-wise) as one could want, and yet, for personal reasons, he is apparently not able to fully support Bethenny's goals and aspirations, and he is also not able to deal with her resistance to changing into what his 'ideal' wife would be. And the same for Bethenny. She seemed to (and I think still does) love Jason very much -- but in the end, he may just not be a good fit for her in regard to being a husband. Or maybe the two of them just need a separation from each other to really begin to value the vast amount of love and the good that they had when they first joined together -- even though they might never be a perfect 'fit' for each other.

Meanwhile, it is wonderful that they seem to be pretty much on the same page when it comes to Bryn, and I think that child has tons and tons of love. I disagree with you who say that Bethenny is just like her mother. Her mother was a selfish, witholding, cold, unloving mother -- and Bethenny is the most loving and devoted mother a child could ever wish for. She has also completely changed her career plans just so that she can accomodate Jason and his family's ability to have frequent easy access to Bryn --- so as to disrupt Bryn's life as little as possible. (In fact, for the past 6 months, she said she has basically been vegging at home with Bryn and not working much at all.)

I think we need to give Bethenny a break. Just because she is extremely driven to succeed -- does not make her a bad person. Let's take a look at our own shortcomings, and the shortcomings of all of the public people we're exposed to. Really, are most of us or them any 'better' people than Bethenny? Probably not. Perhaps she is more neurotic than some, but even so, let's not make her the lightening rod of everything that's wrong with making difficult choices about how she handles her love, marriage, career and motherhood.
    Last edited by Imperfect1; 01-03-2013 at 06:50 AM.

FORT Fogey

Bethenny being driven to succeed doesn't make her a bad person. Bethenny's extreme self-centeredness makes her an unpleasant person. I somewhat disagree with you about a person changing when they get married. Any person who enters into a successful long term relationship changes, because your primary focus goes from making decisions for "me" to making decisions for "us". From what we've seen on TV, Bethenny's perspective of deciding on things for "us" appears to be "now two peole are focused on my needs instead of one". I did change after I got married. I did not change in major ways, but I changed in understanding that everything big I did in my life from now on had an impact on my husband and me equally. Since then, I've made choices on big things like where to live that I would not have made if I was only concerned with me, and I've made big choices on little things as well - I did not go to movies like Skyfall for a movie night before I was with my husband! When I look at what Bethenny has done in terms of big decisions since she and Jason got married, I can't really identify anything I'd say she did because it was best for Jason even if it wasn't what she wanted. The expectation has always come across as Jason being expected to fall into her life. As I've said, I also don't think that she ever really showed signs of making Jason a top priority in her life. Look at what happened when she got her talk show. She was shown talking on the phone to her publicist, telling her publicist that she'd gotten the opportunity, while working hard to make sure Jason could not overhear her. Then, she gathered all of her staff - her assistants, intern, driver, nanny, and husband, in her kitchen to tell them all collectively. Jason found out he was moving AFTER her publicisit, and in the same rank as her driver and nanny. Now on the one hand, you could say that shows she elevates the importance of the people who work for her, which is nice. But there was never a conversation with Jason saying "Now the opportunity is real instead of just an idea. Do we really want to do this?" They did not make a decision together. Bethenny made the decision, and then told Jason how it would impact his life at the same time she was trying to convince her nanny she could leave her husband in New York for a few weeks to come out to LA and watch Bryn. That's demeaning. There are plenty of other examples like that where Bethenny has just pushed Jason to fit into her vision for life. That's emasculating. That's not marriage. And I don't think it's realistic to say that Jason knew Bethenny was like that prior to marriage, or that people don't change. That's a change you can't experience and can't know until you get married.

I wish both of them the best.
    I don't know either of them. All I know is what I see on the screen.
    From day one, all I've seen is a very emasculating woman ( my father would say I'm being overly euphemistic in my adjective! who loved to whine about how damaged she was by her parents; particularly her mother.
    I do give Bethenny an enormous amount of credit for branding herself into a huge empire. The problem is that she is extremely narcissistic and thinks that the world revolves around her. Jason looked like an incredibly kind, generous and sensitive man.
    Perhaps, Bethenny will wake up in another 10 or 15 years and realize that all the money and fame don't buy you happiness. It needs to come from within.
    Coco46 and AlwaysVeg like this.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

I think we all agree that Bethanny isn't a horrible person and she is free to live her life the way she wants to.
    So many of us kind of fell in love with her...for many reasons....then we loved that she finally found some great guy and they were going to get married....and have a baby.
    It's what most of us women love to be a part of....The sweet fairy tale of true love.
    We get so disappointed when we watch this fall apart. I think it's pretty obvious that Bethanny plays a bigger part in the unhappy ending of this story. Many of us want to reach out and shake her and say...don't do this...you have the makings of a wonderful family life and you're throwing it away.
    But like I said, Bethanny gets to choose how she wants to live. It's just sad to see Jason and Bryn affected negatively.
    I, too, wonder what Bethanny will be doing when she's 65.
    Starbucks880 and jucamer like this.

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    I think we all agree that Bethanny isn't a horrible person and she is free to live her life the way she wants to.
    So many of us kind of fell in love with her...for many reasons....then we loved that she finally found some great guy and they were going to get married....and have a baby.
    It's what most of us women love to be a part of....The sweet fairy tale of true love.
    We get so disappointed when we watch this fall apart. I think it's pretty obvious that Bethanny plays a bigger part in the unhappy ending of this story. Many of us want to reach out and shake her and say...don't do this...you have the makings of a wonderful family life and you're throwing it away.
    But like I said, Bethanny gets to choose how she wants to live. It's just sad to see Jason and Bryn affected negatively.
    I, too, wonder what Bethanny will be doing when she's 65.
    Beautifully said, DL, and I think you're exactly right.

By the way, a note to ACookerTV -- I think you misread what I said in my post above. I didn't say a person doesn't or can't change after being married. Of course a person can change, and you're right, in most cases it's better to change to accomodate what's best for both of the people in the marriage. What I DID said was: you can't go into a marriage thinking you are going to change the OTHER person. Big difference! And I was referring to JASON, not Bethenny -- meaning that HE might have gone into his marriage with Bethenny thinking that HE was going to change her.

FORT Fogey

I understood what you meant. I just don't agree that Jason went in to the marraige expecting Bethenny to become some sort of happy homemaker like his mom once she was married. I think he knew what a strong-willed person she was, and accepted it. If he miscalculated, I think it was in the area I talked about. I think he viewed their relationship as an "us" and discovered Bethenny was never going to view it as anything but "me, with a supporting cast".

Marriage is a learning & growing process. I am not sure if 2 years is a long enough time to change, grow & learn from your partner or perhaps 2 years was 2 years too long. None of us will ever really know nor should we. That is their own private business. Bethenny is who she is; same person we all grew to love in season 1 of RHWNY. I admire her drive and ambition.
    Imperfect1 likes this.
    Some people dream of having a big swimming pool - with me it's closets."
    -Audrey Hepburn.

Quote Originally Posted by AcookerTV View Post
    I understood what you meant. I just don't agree that Jason went in to the marraige expecting Bethenny to become some sort of happy homemaker like his mom once she was married. I think he knew what a strong-willed person she was, and accepted it. If he miscalculated, I think it was in the area I talked about. I think he viewed their relationship as an "us" and discovered Bethenny was never going to view it as anything but "me, with a supporting cast".
    I think a baby happened before they really thought the long term future out. She is a beautiful baby.
    Some people dream of having a big swimming pool - with me it's closets."
    -Audrey Hepburn.

FORT Fogey

I disagree that she is the same person she was in season 1 of RHONY. I was a fan of Bethenny's back when she was on the Martha Stewart season of The Apprentice. I admired her drive and humor on that show, and was really excited to see her again when Real Housewives started. I really enjoyed her for the most part on that show too. But at some point, the fame went to Bethenny's head and changed her. I remember reading articles about how people at places like the Today show that saw her before and after the fame commented that she became much more demanding as she became more famous. I think she fell into the same trap that others like Nene and Teresa Guidice have fallen in to. THey are given a little fame, think it's a lot more than it is, and start demanding things and acting with a diva quality. Over time, whether she recognizes it or not, Bethenny has changed. She's become MUCH more focused on herself and believes her own hype just a little too much. I used to be a fan. Now I continue to follow her, but can't say I'm pulling for her as much as I used to. She's shown the ugly side of fame.
    Coco46 and AlwaysVeg like this.

+ Reply to Thread