+ Reply to Thread
Page 80 of 108 FirstFirst ... 30707172737475767778798081828384858687888990 ... LastLast
Like Tree483Likes

Thread: Bethenny Ever After

FORT Fogey

Re: Bethenny Ever After

I don't think it can be forgotten that when Bethenny and Jason first met, both have reported that Jason opened the conversation with Bethenny by telling her to remove the stick up her butt. I think that is a good indication of the personality each of them had going into the relationship. I will admit that as much as Bethenny has gotten on my nerves this season, and as much as I've fallen out of her "corner" I really did enjoy seeing her and Jason starting life in their new apartment. It was fun to see both of them walking around with a "wow, this is OURS?" reaction. I loved when Bryn knocked over the vase, and both of their responses was "We're not these people!" it gave hints that maybe, just maybe, with all that they've gotten over the past few years, they still recognize who they are. I hope that sticks! I also had several thoughts about the scenes of Julie's departure. First, I was dissapointed that Bethenny couldn't give her the respect to walk her to the door, instead pouting on the couch focused on herself. Second, when the new assistant followed Julie out the door, presumably for a final off-camera conversation, I really wonder what was said, or how honest each of them is with each other about the realities of working with Bethenny. And lastly, now that it's been about 5 months since Julie left, I wonder if she's found it possible again yet to drink another skinny girl margarita. If Andy Cohen would ever host a "very special episode" of Watch What Happens Live, where Julie spilled her guts about all her honest thoughts about working with Bethenny, I'd take the day off work, send my family away, and sit on my couch with the TV on hanging on her every word.
    Debb70 likes this.

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

According to the DSM-IV research criteria for passive-aggressive personality disorder, behavior exhibited includes:

Resentment and opposition to the demands of others
    Complaining about feeling underappreciated or cheated
    Procrastination
    Stubbornness
    Inefficiency
    Memory lapses
    Sullenness
    Irritability
    Cynical or hostile attitude

It's also a pattern that manifests in childhood or early adulthood.

I'm not saying Jason has this "disorder," just that the people who have it exhibit early in life, according to the universally accepted psychiatric bible of diagnostics.

It's also of note that this disorder is among 5 perosonality disorders proposed for expanded definition in DSM-V.
    tears.and.rain likes this.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields View Post
    According to the DSM-IV research criteria for passive-aggressive personality disorder, behavior exhibited includes:

Resentment and opposition to the demands of others
    Complaining about feeling underappreciated or cheated
    Procrastination
    Stubbornness
    Inefficiency
    Memory lapses
    Sullenness
    Irritability
    Cynical or hostile attitude

It's also a pattern that manifests in childhood or early adulthood.

I'm not saying Jason has this "disorder," just that the people who have it exhibit early in life, according to the universally accepted psychiatric bible of diagnostics.

It's also of note that this disorder is among 5 perosonality disorders proposed for expanded definition in DSM-V.
    Interesting. I googled to see more. Hmmm
    You can do it!

FORT Fogey

One more thought about last night's show - it struck me as a bit odd that Bethenny chose to put the Skinny Girl logo in their bar. She made the point in an earlier episode that Skinny Girl bought the apartment, so they bar needed to be prominent. That made sense to me, but I thought it was a little obnoxious to make that bar so obvious that the logo was there. For one thing, if she has a bad day at work, does she really want the logo of her work staring back at her when she's trying to relax? Also, when guests come over, it seemed like an obnoxious way to remind people why you are successful. I would hope that Mery Streep doesn't have a Sophie's Choice movie poster hanging prominently in her living room ...
    Debb70 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by AcookerTV
    I would hope that Mery Streep doesn't have a Sophie's Choice movie poster hanging prominently in her living room ...
    Maybe in her bar, though.

I had the same thoughts recently when attending a party at a the home of the owner of a very successful micro-brewer. The bottom of the pool sported a gigantic custom logo of the business, the towels were embroidered with it, and floor tiles of the huge pool house had it done in mosaic. Alright already! We GET it!.

I also thought that reminding Jason that Skinnygirl bought his home can't be construed as a positive thing for him. He's struggling with feelings of inferiority over B's financial success. Having her rub his nose in it on TV struck me as insensitive.
    Last edited by Poppy Fields; 05-29-2012 at 11:18 AM.
    Debb70 likes this.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

FORT Fogey

Interesting point Poppy Fields. I hadn't really thought about the Jason perspective on the bar, but you are right. I do think that Bethenny tries to paint Skinny Girl as a joint success at times, but it really is her, and really does kind of put Jason in his place.

Didn't Jason help with some financial advice aspects of the business? Not sure about this, though. I know he should be proud of how much supervision he gave as their apartment/home was built. It really is very attractive. As I watched this last night I was thinking about the apartment Jill Zarin had redone. It was truely ugly!!!!
    I only have a kitchen because it came with the house.

I read that they spent 5.5 million on the new apartment. I'm not sure if that includes the remodel, or not. In any case, I don't think it would have been within their price range without Skinnygirl's sale to Beam.

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysVeg View Post
    If Bethenny hadn't become pregnant, and instead she and Jason had dated longer, I wonder if they would still have gotten married. None of us knows all the day-to-day details and dynamics of their relationship, but it always seemed to me that if Bethenny could just relax a little and think about it, she would realize that Jason gave her the family she was missing, including two parents who are open and eager to love her, and of course Bryn. He brought stability, support, and steadiness into her life. J & B's personalities and energy are dissimilar for sure, but if B had wound up with a man who is more like her, I think they would be constantly clashing and competing. Bethenny's problem (one of them) is that she doesn't seme to appreciate anything, at least not for long. No one is perfect, but Jason seems to be a great guy with good values, who doesn't demand much. He understands her and accepts her for who she is, and I think she would be hard-pressed to find another man who would put up with her hyperactivity and her insatiable need for attention and success. Bethenny seems to need to prove something to herself due to being mistreated and devalued in her childhood, and I don't think she's ever going to get over that. It will continue to push her to achieve, achieve, achieve in such a way that exceeds the bounds of what is mentally and emotionally healthy. Any man who is with Bethenny is just along for the ride, for as long as they can take it.
    Does he? I'm not sure if I agree with that, at least as to the accepting part. From what I have seen, Bethenney has been pretty consistent from RHONY to now. I think he knew what he got when he started dating and marrying her. He may have assumed that once she made the money and/or had a kid that things would change. They didn't and that seems to have caused stress. But who is to blame there? I guess I just don't see Bethenney as being that different from what she has always been. I see Jason as starting to resent who and what she is. He knew about her family and past issues before they got married. But now it is her fault because she hasn't worked through it all in the timeframe he expected? From my own personal experience it is one thing to work through stuff when you are alone. When you are married with kids, it basically starts all over again. It is not easy and it takes time. I do think Bethenney is trying to figure things out and trying to learn how to balance things in a way that makes everyone happy. Jason has decided how she should do it in a way that makes him happy - and is based on his experience with his own family. That doesn't mean it works for Bethenney. I think they are each in the wrong trying to push their own ways on the other. My husband and I are very similar and it has taken a lot of work for both of us to realize that. We are much better at compromising now - but this is 8 years and two kids down the road. I do hope Bethenney and Jason get there. The biggest step is to realize that compromise doesn't mean he wins and I lose - it means we both come to a solution that works for both us - meaning we both win a little. It is hard to get there - but worth it.
    Poppy Fields likes this.

FORT Fogey

There was so much packed in to last night's show that I keep on thinking of more and more to comment on everytime I think I'm done! Did anyone else find it REALLY odd that Jason was finding out that the talk show was going to happen at the very same time as Bethenny's staff? Under different circumstances, I may have understood that, but not when they made a point of showing her making sure that Jason didn't overhear what she was saying. I get that work-wise it would have an impact on each of the employees - either becaue they would have to relocate to LA or not have a job to do. But for Jason, it is not about work. It is about relocating his family. I got the impression that if Bethenny and Jason had talked about it, he may have expressed a desire to NOT move to LA, so she just announced it was happening to force his hand. Of course, the other option there is that Bethenny doesn't see Jason as any different than her driver or her nanny, which would be even more sad. I thought you could see it on his face when she made the announcement that he thought the announcement would be about something smaller, or else he would not be finding out at the same time as everyone else.
    justCoz and norealityhere like this.

+ Reply to Thread