+ Reply to Thread
Page 78 of 108 FirstFirst ... 28686970717273747576777879808182838485868788 ... LastLast
Like Tree483Likes

Thread: Bethenny Ever After

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

Re: Bethenny Ever After

Regarding Bethenny's new talk show, for those of us who aren't in the cities where it will be aired, does anyone know where the show might be shown on-line? I tried to find episodes of other daytime shows on Fox's website, but didn't have any luck. I don't think they show episodes of their daytime talkshow programs (for example, I couldn't find Wendy Williams episodes on Fox's website). And Hulu (and Hulu-plus) don't look like good possibilities either? Anyone know?

FORT Fogey

My humble opinion is that ideally, we should all love our chosen professions so much that work isn't work but rather fun. We spend most of our days at it, so it should be purposeful and enjoyable.

I have no problem with Bethanny working so much. It's in her blood, and it's what makes her happy. If it means it destroys her relationship with Jason, I'd argue that the relationship wasn't solid enough to begin with. I'd further argue that Jason knew what he was up against when he married her. If the relationship dissolves, it's not going to be because of this. It was just a mismatch to begin with.

Children are a different story. But even here, if I know anything about kids, it's that a) they want nothing more in life than for their parents to be happy - just as parents want nothing more in life than for their children to be happy and b) quality over quantity is paramount. While together, if the parent loves the child, etc. the child will feel it and know it. And that is what matters most.

So many parents - esp. moms - feel guilty about time away, but that guilt weighs heavily on children. They absorb it and take it as if they've done something wrong. Everyone navigates the world differently. Some parents want to/have to work. Some don't, etc. Bethanny's daughter will be brought up by a working mom and likely divorced parents. But, if the parents are happy, don't pass guilt or other twisted emotions on to her, and enjoy their time with her, she will be just fine in life.

In fact, far better off than if she had parents who weren't happy together and not doing what they want to do in life.

Having said all this, quantity does matter - just not at the expense of quality. That can be a balancing act - esp. for someone like Bethany in such a demanding job. She seems to do ok there, though. Based on what I've seen, both parents spend a decent amount of time with their daughter and it is clear they lover her and get great enjoyment from her.

The only crink in that family is the mismatch between Bethany and Jason. I never thought they belonged together and as sad as it is, I still don't think they belong together. A good hard look at what's best for both is in order - before they start bringing negativity and other bad juju home to the child.
    Last edited by Jexter; 05-28-2012 at 11:13 AM.

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

In my experience as a parent of 3 and and aunt of 27, I would have to say that kids spend about 0% of their time wondering if their parents are happy or fulfilled. They just want everything to run on schedule smoothly, with as little turbulence as possible - unless they, themselves, are creating the turbulence.

It's entirely possible to meet that expectation no matter what's going on between you and your spouse - as long as you are not arguing in front of them.

And, no matter what your professional commitments may be, they expect you to show up for the important events in their lives. It disappoints them, no matter how much they reassure you that it doesn't, when you can't reshuffle your priorities to be there for that game (award ceremony, school play, etc).

I worked full time the whole time my kids were growing up, and my one regret is that I didn't make the time to attend every one of those special events - the ones that all their friends' moms seemed able to.
    Last edited by Poppy Fields; 05-28-2012 at 11:30 AM.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

FORT Fogey

If Bethenny hadn't become pregnant, and instead she and Jason had dated longer, I wonder if they would still have gotten married. None of us knows all the day-to-day details and dynamics of their relationship, but it always seemed to me that if Bethenny could just relax a little and think about it, she would realize that Jason gave her the family she was missing, including two parents who are open and eager to love her, and of course Bryn. He brought stability, support, and steadiness into her life. J & B's personalities and energy are dissimilar for sure, but if B had wound up with a man who is more like her, I think they would be constantly clashing and competing. Bethenny's problem (one of them) is that she doesn't seme to appreciate anything, at least not for long. No one is perfect, but Jason seems to be a great guy with good values, who doesn't demand much. He understands her and accepts her for who she is, and I think she would be hard-pressed to find another man who would put up with her hyperactivity and her insatiable need for attention and success. Bethenny seems to need to prove something to herself due to being mistreated and devalued in her childhood, and I don't think she's ever going to get over that. It will continue to push her to achieve, achieve, achieve in such a way that exceeds the bounds of what is mentally and emotionally healthy. Any man who is with Bethenny is just along for the ride, for as long as they can take it.

I'm watching the marathon today and I have to say they are equally bitchy with each other, although she's more direct and he's passive aggressive. He hates clashing, but he nitpicks constantly. And she lets nothing pass. She calls him out every instance and they argue. Most of the time he isn't complaining about her behavior in a particular circumstance, but implying that she is "broken" or just "bad."

They need to save their steam for the big stuff. If, in fact, this Bravo drama is real
    Last edited by Poppy Fields; 05-28-2012 at 05:02 PM.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

FORT Fogey

I don't think he was that way at first, at least not on the show. Maybe being with Bethenny for a year or two could drive anyone nuts and make them passive-aggressive. If you're passive, she'll run right over you, back up and do it again. If you're aggressive, she'll fight you tooth and nail... so perhaps being passive-aggressive is all he's left with!

I'm pretty sure that passive aggressiveness isn't a defensive mechanism.

Know what her new show is called? Would then be easy to search & see ways to view.
    "Not my circus. Not my monkeys"
    ~~ Old Polish Proverb ~~

Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brains fall out. Carl Sagan.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields View Post
    I'm watching the marathon today and I have to say they are equally bitchy with each other, although she's more direct and he's passive aggressive. He hates clashing, but he nitpicks constantly. And she lets nothing pass. She calls him out every instance and they argue. Most of the time he isn't complaining about her behavior in a particular circumstance, but implying that she is "broken" or just "bad."

They need to save their steam for the big stuff. If, in fact, this Bravo drama is real
    I think this is what a lot of people are missing. Because Jason is so passive aggressive and Bethenny's so direct and aggressive, you can see/hear hers more and we blame her for it. But to me, it seems that Jason, from the beginning, saw Bethenny as needing to be fixed. The things that were different about her from him were all a product of her brokenness, and he would "fix" them and they'd go away. I think that really came out with the birthday party incident from last season, when she said over and over and over I don't like my birthday, I don't want a party, please don't throw me a party, okay there's a party fine, just please don't put me in the spotlight here, and he ignored it all, assuming that she just didn't know she liked birthdays because she was broken, and he'd show her. And while that's an example of him meaning well but messing up, it's still an example of him ignoring her opinions and wishes.

More seriously, I think we can also see his attitude that he's always right and has to fix her when it comes to his family. She doesn't want to spend every single weekend with them, or she won't give up opportunities for her career in LA just to stay close to them, and he assumes that it comes from her lack of family, so it's an issue of hers, and so it's not valid. But I don't think that's necessarily the case. And if they're going to move to LA for a while for Bethenny's career, honestly, the best time to do it is while Bryn is a baby and won't have to start a new school/disrupt her education and leave all her friends and be completely uprooted from an entire life.

My dad is a very passive aggressive person, and it can be just as infuriating if not more infuriating as someone like Bethenny. And for someone like Bethenny, who is very direct and addresses things all the time, it's almost impossible to confront. Well, really, for anyone it's almost impossible to confront. And it only fuels aggression.
    livin4reality likes this.

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by Prism View Post
    Know what her new show is called? Would then be easy to search & see ways to view.
    Don't know the name of Bethenny's new show for sure, but I saw a clip of one of her 'test' talkshow interviews, and there was a big sign behind her that said "Bethenny" -- so my guess is that they've named the show simply "Bethenny."

+ Reply to Thread