+ Reply to Thread
Page 77 of 108 FirstFirst ... 27676869707172737475767778798081828384858687 ... LastLast
Like Tree483Likes

Thread: Bethenny Ever After

Re: Bethenny Ever After

Quote Originally Posted by KatesMom View Post
    While I understand what you are saying, this bothers me a bit. I am a fairly successful, driven attorney. I have worked very hard and gone to school for a long time to attain what I have. But even more than all the schooling, I really love what I do. To the extent that I have made comments that even if I won the lottery, I would probably still work, although on a much reduced schedule. I love my children and my family, but I love my job too. I work very hard to balance everything so that everyone is happy, myself included. And I am a better mother and wife when I feel fulfilled and satisfied. I have a hard time when people make comments like "you have so much, you should be happy with x or y." Bottom line, only I know what will make me happy and that is not for others to judge. Now, what I will say to this, is that I will never choose my job over my children or my husband/marriage. And maybe that is the point you are making. But if Bethenney is balancing things, then who are we to judge what will or will not make her happy or satisfied? And I preface all of this by saying I have no idea if Bethenney IS balancing everything. But I do have a hard time when others, especially women, judge other women for their choices. Good or bad, they are our choices, aimed to make us happy and fulfilled. And they should be supported, not questioned simply because it is a different path than what you would have chosen. JMO.
    Katesmom, I do understand what you're saying. Let me be a bit more clear. I'm not judging Bethanny negatively for working..... like your career of your choice that you love.
    Building an empire, constantly going from one thing to another, one more product, etc like Bethanny does, is different from what you do.
    If it gets her positive attention, Bethanny will jump to it...no matter what. None of us have to be psychologists to figure out why she does it.
    Just for example, the Ice Skating for Stars (or whatever it was called) took a lot of time, attention, hard hard work and it had repercussions on her new marriage. I think she would do it again (or something like that) even now, with her little family and it would cause problems, fatigue, lots of stress, etc. But Bethanny doesn't say no to anything that brings the world's attention on her.
    But in the end, she doesn't like the effects that occur when she does too much.
    You mentioned "balance" which I think is probably the answer to everything and I guess what I see is definitely not someone who has her life in balance.
    To me, it doesn't seem like she has this under control so that's what I was inferring...not that women with careers are doing something wrong.
    Sorry if it appeared that way. I like her and Jason and want the best for them and I just want to reach out and shake them both sometimes.

On a national radio show they mentioned there was a study aying that discussing problems with a therapist and a good friend have no success solving problems. It serves to reinjure every time it is discussed. Instead accepting and thinking about good things was the solution. Bethenny is visiting the therapist and reviewing injuries constantly AND.
    Last edited by Lizard; 05-25-2012 at 09:05 AM.
    AlwaysVeg likes this.
    You can do it!

To be fair we do only get to see a brief tidbit of her therapy sessions. I am sure they get into details when the cameras are turned off. I can tell you from personal experience with therapy, the first 3 months were all about how I felt I had been hurt by others. After that the first 10-15 minutes were devoted to my "hurt feelings' of that week & not about what happened in the past. After those 15 minutes I had to discuss how I was effected by it and how I recated to it and how I rationalized my reactions.

After about a year of this I really got to the point where I couldn't even fill up 5 minutes of hurt feelings; that became my turning point. I was able, at that time, learn how to focus on improving myself & my self image of myself. My EX had to of told me a million times how fat I was. The most I ever weighed was 115 pounds and that was 9 months pregnant. When we first separated I dropped down to 80 thinking maybe he would find me more attractive. Thankfully it didn't work however through mt therapy I learned to not care what people thought about me. My opinion of myself was vastly more important. By that time I had enough confidence in myself to file for divorce, write up a resume & get a job.

Do I have regrest...yes...do I still have really down days...yes but I am able to talk myself through it on my own. It is the conversations I have with myself that I found helpful. Yesterday would have been my 32nd wedding anniversary & for the first time in 8 years I did not cry at all. It was just another day in May for me.
    Some people dream of having a big swimming pool - with me it's closets."
    -Audrey Hepburn.

FORT Fogey

This is an interesting discussion about Bethenny and the work/life balance. To me, Bethenny's problem isn't really finding that balance. I think her problem is that she prioritizes herself WAY too much. It's rare to see her have a conversation with someone that she doesn't make all about her. Even in scenes on the show such as the lunch she and Julie went to - it was supposed to be a time to celebrate Julie, and the big changes that were going to be happening in her life. But the entire conversation became all about Bethenny. Julie was only relelvant in talking about Bethenny, and after a few moments of the lunch, you could see that on Julie's face. I honestly think Julie is leaving not because she wants a life in Pittsburgh, but because she's worn out being focused on Bethenny all the time. In work, in her marriage, and even in raising Bryn, Bethenny's top focus is herself, and she appears to believe that everyone around her should make Bethenny their top focus as well. That goes far beyond being an issue of work life balance. A health marriage works because sometimes you make choices for the wife's needs, and sometimes you make choices for the husband's needs. Not only are all of Bethenny and Jason's choices about Bethenny's needs ... I don't think that Bethenny has really entertained the thought that Jason may have his own needs.

FORT Fogey

That's why I think her therapy is not doing her a whole lot of good. I don't pretend to know her shrink's approach and what they talk about other than the snippet we see, but apparently she's been going long enough that one would expect more progress than what is reflected in her behavior. As Dragonlady said above, we don't have to be psychologists to see that Bethenny's childhood has predisposed her to be driven to get attention and accolades beyond what is emotionally healthy. Does her therapist point that out in their sessions? I don't know. It just seems so obvious and such a huge cause of discord and unhappiness in her life and relationships that it's pretty terrible if this hasn't been addressed in therapeutic sessions. Maybe her therapist needs to apply a little more "tough love." To each his own in terms of choosing a therapist, but he seems a little too lackadaisical to me, and I have known and heard of more than one therapist who take things too slowly over endless years and years of therapy, and often I think that has to do with the conscious or unconscious recognition that the more appointments, the more money they make. Not accusing B's therapist of anything, just saying ....

I caught a portion of an episode last week where Bethenny was sitting with a couple of her assitants at a table. Bethenny was talking and the assistants looked so disgusted. They didn't say anything, but you could tell that they were fed up with her. As much as I have admired and supported Bethenny, I now see how people can only take her in small doses. I do feel for Bryn. She'll need therapy, but for different reasons than Bethenny.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I caught a portion of an episode last week where Bethenny was sitting with a couple of her assitants at a table. Bethenny was talking and the assistants looked so disgusted. They didn't say anything, but you could tell that they were fed up with her. As much as I have admired and supported Bethenny, I now see how people can only take her in small doses. I do feel for Bryn. She'll need therapy, but for different reasons than Bethenny.
    That's why I think she'd better hold on tight to Jason! LOL ... but seriously, it seems like she can be fun for a while, but I think it takes a special kind of man who can stay in a relationship with her long-term.
    Debb70 likes this.

It's interesting that Bethenny's assistant Julie is leaving. At this point in the game, Julie knows the business inside out, is in a position to be owed a huge salary, say a few hundred thousand a year, for her expertise and in-depth knowledge of the system she's working in. But, no, she chose to quit and move far away.

It's to her credit that she chose self-preservation over money and fame she'd have associated with Bethenny. But the statement her action makes against Bethenny is that Bethenny is impossible to work with, even for a strong, smart right-hand-woman. She's walking away from an amazing future but her mental health is more important. You can see it in the deadpan looks she gives Bethenny, and the grimaces of disdain when Bethenny is acting out.
    Debb70 and AlwaysVeg like this.
    "Not my circus. Not my monkeys"
    ~~ Old Polish Proverb ~~

Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brains fall out. Carl Sagan.

Quote Originally Posted by AcookerTV View Post
    This is an interesting discussion about Bethenny and the work/life balance. To me, Bethenny's problem isn't really finding that balance. I think her problem is that she prioritizes herself WAY too much. It's rare to see her have a conversation with someone that she doesn't make all about her. Even in scenes on the show such as the lunch she and Julie went to - it was supposed to be a time to celebrate Julie, and the big changes that were going to be happening in her life. But the entire conversation became all about Bethenny. Julie was only relelvant in talking about Bethenny, and after a few moments of the lunch, you could see that on Julie's face. I honestly think Julie is leaving not because she wants a life in Pittsburgh, but because she's worn out being focused on Bethenny all the time. In work, in her marriage, and even in raising Bryn, Bethenny's top focus is herself, and she appears to believe that everyone around her should make Bethenny their top focus as well. That goes far beyond being an issue of work life balance. A health marriage works because sometimes you make choices for the wife's needs, and sometimes you make choices for the husband's needs. Not only are all of Bethenny and Jason's choices about Bethenny's needs ... I don't think that Bethenny has really entertained the thought that Jason may have his own needs.
    Extremely brilliant post, ACookerTV!!!
    you really have shown exactly who Bethanny is. I haven't been able to really pin point the number 1 problem but you certainly did!
    She probably is the most guilty of "All About Me Syndrome" than anyone else...and yet, she appears to be a likable figure so far...that could easily change with fame/fortune...and maybe already has.
    Again, excellent post!

Bethenny's show will premiere on June 11 in 6 select markets for 6 weeks. Bethenny, Jason, and Bryn are in LA right now. Bethenny tweeted that she will discuss divorce rumors and stuff on her show. She also tweeted that Brynn went on the potty for the first time and she, Jason, and Bryn were doing the potty dance. They are enjoying being off for a week chilling and grilling in LA.

Here is a link to Bethenny's new tv show website and recent youtube video Jason filmed of Bethenny and Bryn:

Bethenny Frankel New TV Show

+ Reply to Thread