+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 108 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282969 ... LastLast
Like Tree483Likes

Thread: Bethenny Ever After

FORT Fogey

Re: Bethenny Ever After

Well yeah it's a bottled margarita. She's not making tequila or vodka or some ridiculously dangerous 4loco thing.

There have actually been studies shown that children who grow up in households where they NEVER see anyone drink are more likely to become alcoholics, because they have never seen responsible drinking habits. Then children of alcoholics due to genetics, then kids whose parents drink responsibly.

I really enjoyed this episode. I loved how Bethanny and Jason came to realize that when something seems off to them about their baby, they need to follow their instincts. They handled it very well, neither blaming the other but just learning about what it means to be a parent.

I loved that Bethanny agreed to Jason's desire to have his daughter baptized. I have great hopes for these two to stay together.

I also loved the scene where Bethanny asks her assistant to be the god-mother. It was very evident how much she loved Bethanny's baby.

Just a very nice, feel-good episode.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by tears.and.rain View Post
    Well yeah it's a bottled margarita. She's not making tequila or vodka or some ridiculously dangerous 4loco thing.

There have actually been studies shown that children who grow up in households where they NEVER see anyone drink are more likely to become alcoholics, because they have never seen responsible drinking habits. Then children of alcoholics due to genetics, then kids whose parents drink responsibly.
    I just think it's a little ... odd that she knows the damage alcohol can do and is essentially saying "but buy mine! buy mine!" Again, if she hadn't whined and moaned about Demon Drink it might not have seemed so jarring.

FORT Fogey

She didn't whine and moan about Demon Drink. She's talked about the damage that having an alcoholic mother has done... are you suggesting you can't drink without being an alcoholic??

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    I really enjoyed this episode. I loved how Bethanny and Jason came to realize that when something seems off to them about their baby, they need to follow their instincts. They handled it very well, neither blaming the other but just learning about what it means to be a parent.

I loved that Bethanny agreed to Jason's desire to have his daughter baptized. I have great hopes for these two to stay together.

I also loved the scene where Bethanny asks her assistant to be the god-mother. It was very evident how much she loved Bethanny's baby.

Just a very nice, feel-good episode.
    I've always loved the relationship between Bethenny and Julie and I think it's perfect that Julie will be Bryn's godmother.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by tears.and.rain View Post
    She didn't whine and moan about Demon Drink. She's talked about the damage that having an alcoholic mother has done... are you suggesting you can't drink without being an alcoholic??
    I guess I see things differently from many other people. It's what makes the world go around. Shall we leave it at that?

My EX is a major alcoholic. My oldest son drinks once or twice a month while my youngest doesn't drink at all. I might have a glass of wine once a month. I might look for Bethenny's marghrita mix for the summer...maybe...

I'm not trying to nit pick here, but I'll say this and move on. I adore Bethenny, but if I had a parent who was an alcoholic, I would be VERY careful in my alcohol intake. She seems to garner much pleasure from her drinking. I hope that's an act for tv and her drink line. I realize social drinking is fine. In fact my doctors have encouraged me to drink wine serveral times per week. (I do not have an alcoholic parent.)

Having a parent who is an alcoholic is a big risk factor for you becoming one. I have heard this from professional substance abuse experts for years and here's a link:
    Children of Alcoholics/Addicts: Children at Risk.

I feel a concern for someone who is so focused on drinking. Like after a trying expereince you say, Man, I need a drink, or every time you go out, you have a cocktail. I know people who do it and maybe they are not addicted, but IMO it's awefully risky if you have a parent who did have a problem with it.

It's a personal choice and I pray she doesn't run into trouble with it. That's all I'll say about it. I do intend to try her drink mix this summer. It sounds and looks great.

Debb I agree with you 1,000%. Well stated. My brother is a recovering alcoholic & my EX IS an alcoholic. Whether or not they like it alcholoism is in my son's genes. My youngest is 25 & refuses to drink anything other than an occasional glass of wine to celebrate a birthday. I have a bottle of wine in my frige since his birthday last August. I cook with it.
    My oldest...he does drink...not an everyday thing but boy if I smell it on him I am all over him like a cheap suit.
    Don't get me wrong there is nothing like a marghrita slushie on a hot summer day minus the booze. I am going on a girls night out tomorrow & am perfectly happy to sip on ginger ale & not have to worry about a DUI.

I honestly don't recall Bethenny saying her parents had issuse with alcohol. I think her parents were more of the type that just didn't have any type of emotional connection with their daughter which is pretty sad since I think Bethenny is a pretty terrific person. You go to the opposite type of parents that Jason had that are the loving & nurturing type. I think Bethenny is finally starting to understand that emotional, physical type of unbreakable love a parent can have in a child. You saw it when Bryn was taken from her arms at her nanny's church.
    Last edited by PA Snow Bunny; 03-24-2011 at 02:56 PM.

FORT Fogey

I don't actually remember her saying that either, Bunny..... hmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I'm not trying to nit pick here, but I'll say this and move on. I adore Bethenny, but if I had a parent who was an alcoholic, I would be VERY careful in my alcohol intake. She seems to garner much pleasure from her drinking. I hope that's an act for tv and her drink line. I realize social drinking is fine. In fact my doctors have encouraged me to drink wine serveral times per week. (I do not have an alcoholic parent.)

Having a parent who is an alcoholic is a big risk factor for you becoming one. I have heard this from professional substance abuse experts for years and here's a link:
    Children of Alcoholics/Addicts: Children at Risk.

I feel a concern for someone who is so focused on drinking. Like after a trying expereince you say, Man, I need a drink, or every time you go out, you have a cocktail. I know people who do it and maybe they are not addicted, but IMO it's awefully risky if you have a parent who did have a problem with it.

It's a personal choice and I pray she doesn't run into trouble with it. That's all I'll say about it. I do intend to try her drink mix this summer. It sounds and looks great.
    I agree with you in theory, however, I consider this difference:

Some people, when they have a trying experience, say "I need a drink" and have a beer. Others have a trying experience and say "I need a drink" and get completely smashed. My mother works a very stressful job, and I know that for her a glass of wine is the equivalent to a nice long warm shower for me.

For me, the concern isn't drinking, the concern is getting drunk, specifically. Just a personal thing.

+ Reply to Thread