+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 108 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192060 ... LastLast
Like Tree483Likes

Thread: Bethenny Ever After

FORT Fan

Re: Bethenny Ever After

Oh yeah, I totally agree about Jason. It's probably never crossed his mind that he WOULDN'T stay with his parents, and as close as he is to his family, he probably wouldn't think twice about staying with inlaws if Bethenny was close to her family. Bethenny on the other hand, is very used to having her own space and schedule, and it might be one reason why she's so uncomfortable both visiting and hosting.

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Just chiming in to say that I do not enjoy having overnight guests - family members or not. As much as I may love them, I do not enjoy their company 24/7. I don't want to be fixing breakfast for them (haha, I don't even like talking to my hubby in the a.m. before I am appropriately caffeinated). I don't like finding them in my master bathroom when I need to grab a shower. Although I do love cooking supper for them, I don't like dealing with their glucose intolerance and other dietary issues that are really none of my business. Seriously. Bring your own food if you're eating gluten-free or whatever. And please leave your adorable dogs at home. My cat doesn't like hosting them overnight, either.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields View Post
    Just chiming in to say that I do not enjoy having overnight guests - family members or not. As much as I may love them, I do not enjoy their company 24/7. I don't want to be fixing breakfast for them (haha, I don't even like talking to my hubby in the a.m. before I am appropriately caffeinated). I don't like finding them in my master bathroom when I need to grab a shower. Although I do love cooking supper for them, I don't like dealing with their glucose intolerance and other dietary issues that are really none of my business. Seriously. Bring your own food if you're eating gluten-free or whatever. And please leave your adorable dogs at home. My cat doesn't like hosting them overnight, either.
    I applaud your honesty here.
    I think you said what most of us really feel. Like you, I can and have done it. But given my druthers, no, I'd prefer not to have anyone but hubby here.
    For all the same reasons you gave plus a bunch more. It's a lot of work before, during and after they arrive. No one is completely comfortable. I'm better when it's my daughter and her husband but I can see how they're on their best behavior and just not as natural as usual.
    As for people with food issues, what happened to how people used to just make the best of what they got and not making their unusual preferences/needs what everyone has to deal with? Missing part of one meal will not kill anyone and should consider that your host(s) have gone to a lot of trouble. (I don't mean life and death allergies.)

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    As for people with food issues, what happened to how people used to just make the best of what they got and not making their unusual preferences/needs what everyone has to deal with? Missing part of one meal will not kill anyone and should consider that your host(s) have gone to a lot of trouble. (I don't mean life and death allergies.)
    Yes! My mother would take me over her knee, even today, if I went to someone's house and refused part of a meal they had cooked for me. I was always taught to eat at least a little of everything that was offered, no matter how much I hate it. Food allergies/dietary restrictions is something different....TELL the host, and BRING something you can eat. I'll never forget that episode of Kendra when she had the dinner party and one of the guests didn't mention until she got to the house that she was a vegetarian.

Poppy, I don't mind having guests for a short period of time, but I definitely understand how you feel when it gets to be several days and the guests demands are kind of out there (and I'd probably never let a dog come stay too....my aunt let my grandmother bring her dog once and the little rat went to the bathroom all over my aunt's house because my grandmother isn't stern enough to potty train) It's part of the reason WHY I like to stay in hotels, because I dont want to make my friends go out of their own comfortable routines.

FORT Fogey

One thing I noticed is that Jason doesn't hesitate to tell his parents everything and anything. Like when he brought up moving to California before he and Bethenny had even really more than mentioned it. I can understand how that would be difficult for Bethenny, or anyone really.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields View Post
    I feel the same. Don't like staying at other people's homes and don't particularly like anyone "vacationing" here with me, although if someone close to me is having an emergency and needs a place to stay for a short time, that's different. I can't eat at other people's homes unless I bring my own food, and it can be a pain in the neck to travel with a suitcase of food. I'm a vegetarian by choice, a celiac by heredity, and have many food allergies. There's no way most people could cook for me, and I wouldn't expect them to. People I'm close to understand the vegetarian thing, but I can't begin to explain celiac disease to people who don't know anything about it and how dangerous it is for me to ingest even a molecule of gluten, so I don't even try. Besides the food issues, I just like having my own space too much to have anyone around (or be in their space) for any length of time. My cats also don't like other people staying here ... it scares them ... and people would need to LOVE animals to put up with all of them, cat hair, litter boxes, etc.

With Bethenny's busy life, I can see that having two more people in her small and seemingly chaotic apartment could just be too much, even though Jason's parents are so nice. Can also see how she might feel uncomfortable staying with them, although if she could just perhaps see it as an opportunity to chill out for a couple of days, it might be beneficial!

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by tears.and.rain View Post
    One thing I noticed is that Jason doesn't hesitate to tell his parents everything and anything. Like when he brought up moving to California before he and Bethenny had even really more than mentioned it. I can understand how that would be difficult for Bethenny, or anyone really.
    YES! Cut the cord. I was surprised by that too, and Bethenny looked shocked. That was DEFINITELY something they needed to discuss more before talking to other people about it.

FORT Fogey

Jason doesn't seem to really understand that he, Bethenny, and Bryn are a little family inside a bigger family, and their little family unit is separate in some ways. I felt very bad for Bethenny when had a little "freak out" at dinner. Why is it that she has to do all the changing because Jason thinks his idea of family is "normal?" I get it, on both sides, and I think both sides will need to make concessions. And I think Bethenny is.

Just dawned on me, Bethenny's situation with Jason could mirror my situation with my husband.

While my parents were together, I had very little (if any) extended family. There weren't family reunions, cousins, aunts or uncles, only one set of grandparents. And my situation was better than Bethanny's (so she says, anyway)!

My husband, on the other hand, comes from a HUGE family, lots of aunts, uncles, cousins, family reunions every year, blah, blah, blah. It took me about 15 years to get used to it, seriously! They had what I'd always longed for but when I got there, I didn't know how to act or understand it.

So, I can kinda understand Bethenny's reluctance to get all "family-ish" - it's takes more than a baby to bring it all together.
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

My hubby and I have similar issues. He speaks to his parents at least 2x a week, his brothers want to visit every weekend and I am an only child, both parents have passed........my extended family isn't really close so I see it as "why do you need to talk and see each other so often" kind of thing. That being said, I love this show and if I'm having a bad day, I will laugh the whole time listening to her. I still think she's amazing even if she's a little neurotic!
    Yup, with donuts!!

+ Reply to Thread