+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 52 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
Like Tree175Likes

Thread: The Real Housewives of Miami

re: The Real Housewives of Miami

Quote Originally Posted by tenchikiss View Post
    I suggest you do a little more research. It is sorta like why you don't call people Negros or Orientals anymore.
    Since I did do research on the subjects and was still unsure of the pros and cons of these words, I was asking for more information. I was hoping for a more helpful answer.
    Everything I can find suggests that these words, like the word,Oriental, as you suggested, are "pejorative, antiquated but not necessarily offensive."

It also depends on where you live in the world. In the United Kingdom and the Phillipines is is commonly used to describe people from the "east" but is definitely not offensive.
    I think it is also dependent on the sensitivity of people. Sometimes political correctness can seem too extreme.

Quote Originally Posted by tenchikiss View Post
    Hi can we stop using the word transvestite? It's really super rude.

Also people are transgendered, not transexuals.
    How is it rude? It is a word that people use to reference them. I am very much a supporter of the NO H8 campaign and am much more concerned about equal rights for all than linguistics.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    Yes, supposedly a person named "Elaine Lancaster, a former drag queen" was going to be part of the cast. Maybe she comes on later.
    I did read somewere that that Elaine was filmed for the Miami Social show, but they removed her from the cast for RHOM. However, we would still see Elaine in the background of shows. I'm pretty sure she was the 2nd person on stage with Lea in the last episode, during the auction. And then in the previews for Ariana's (? I think Ariana) party were she was arguing with a man, I think Elaine was standing behind her.

With all due respect, I would never utter the "n" "f" or "s" word in public or private.

I am sorry if I offened anyone when I said I had trouble understanding what these ladies were saying or be able to tell them apart.

Part of me just may have finally had RHW overload. Perhaps it is that this series is just a little bit too much in too many ways. I realize this is the culture of Miami with the colorful clothing, the music the verbage it all.

I am sure there are many people who cringe at the sound of polka music.

I just don't want to have to work that hard to enjoy a TV show & this show IS work for me. I took a pass on DC because of the Salahi's & I'm just passing on this one.

For the record I refer to myself as a hormonal, vertically challeneged, dumb bottle blonde & I do laugh when someone refers to me as blondie since if you looked at my roots I'm not a blonde.

Quote Originally Posted by PA Snow Bunny View Post
    I am sure there are many people who cringe at the sound of polka music.
    OMG Snow Bunny! I spent many of my younger years in Parma, Ohio and that is the land of last names that end in "ski" ! Nice people, nice times, good food and the BEST Friday night fish fries ever

Quote Originally Posted by chenoa333 View Post
    OMG Snow Bunny! I spent many of my younger years in Parma, Ohio and that is the land of last names that end in "ski" ! Nice people, nice times, good food and the BEST Friday night fish fries ever
    And to anyone out there who is Polish - please do not take offense. I did NOT mean that to be derogatory to mention that Polka music is indigenous to Polish people. It WAS back when I lived in that neighborhood many decades ago and it was (as I said before) good times, good people, fun music. (I was actually made to take accordion lessons when I was a little girl! And that (accordians) is the epitome of Polka music Just ask Weird Al Yankowicz!

PA Snow Bunny, I lived in Miami for several years when I was married. It is hard to tell these women apart and that is not an insulting thing to say. What is insulting is being told that you are being rude because you are not current with the latest terminology......I don't mean you PA Snow Bunny.
    LOL Chenoa my parents were sort of "dead heads" for a Polish singer named "Happy Louie"
    Last edited by Bunny555; 03-03-2011 at 01:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny555 View Post
    PA Snow Bunny, I lived in Miami for several years when I was married. It is hard to tell these women apart and that is not an insulting thing to say. What is insulting is being told that you are being rude because you are not current with the latest terminology......I don't mean you PA Snow Bunny.
    LOL Chenoa my parents were sort of "dead heads" for a Polish singer named "Happy Louie"
    Here in PA we have Spanky & The Coal Miners. Should I have been offened when Bethenny said the citizens in Hazleton are toothless coalminers without running water. No she didn't say all of it but she did say toothless to which my dentist can verify I am certainly not toothless. Have at least 1 tooth in your mouth does not qualify one as being toothless

We have just becomes a society of being overly PC. Heck in Hazleton it is common to refer to oneself as being a 'Hunk' or 'WOP". I'm actually both and it doesn't bother me.

The only thing that would offened me in all honesty is for someone to call me a bad mother. or a Carolina fan.

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by PA Snow Bunny View Post
    Here in PA we have Spanky & The Coal Miners. Should I have been offened when Bethenny said the citizens in Hazleton are toothless coalminers without running water. No she didn't say all of it but she did say toothless to which my dentist can verify I am certainly not toothless. Have at least 1 tooth in your mouth does not qualify one as being toothless

We have just becomes a society of being overly PC. Heck in Hazleton it is common to refer to oneself as being a 'Hunk' or 'WOP". I'm actually both and it doesn't bother me.

The only thing that would offened me in all honesty is for someone to call me a bad mother. or a Carolina fan.
    We are overly PC. I get called short all the time. I don't get offended. I do prefer "fun sized" better!!

Can we please take this thread back to the events on the show and leave accusations of PC-ness behind. Thank you.

+ Reply to Thread