+ Reply to Thread
Page 82 of 97 FirstFirst ... 32727374757677787980818283848586878889909192 ... LastLast

Thread: Bethenny Getting Married?

FORT Fogey

Re: Bethenny Getting Married?

Is Bethenny a positive person? I don't really get that vibe off her.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by ubidiah;4037142;
    Is Bethenny a positive person? I don't really get that vibe off her.
    I do.

FORT Fan

She's got a frenetic, castrating, ascerbic vibe. She routinely calls people "idiot." At times she can be self-effacing, but it doesn't seem to last long. She's no Dale Carnegie, and I think she herself would be the first to admit that's not her brand.
    You are entitled to your own opinion, but not your own facts -- Daniel Patrick Moynahan

FORT Fogey

I actually think she might be offended if she thought anyone thought her to be a positive and charming person. Seems she works double-time to dispel any rumors of that. She even sort of looks down on those qualities in other people. Like, when those two strangers were in her CPR class. They just seemed to be normal, nice women and, because of that, she referred to them as Stepford Wives.

FORT Fogey

So what if she called them Stepford Wives?! Maybe they were. I wasn't in the class with them so I don't know. It has nothing to do with whether she's a positive person or not. Everyone is allowed to like or dislike certain people or types of people, and it doesn't make them either positive or negative. Bethenny knew what she wanted out of life, and she created it, just like she knew what kind of wedding she wanted and made that happen without succumbing to obstacles from the past or present or the negativity of others. That's what positive people do. Negative people mostly sit around criticizing and complaining without accomplishing anything much in their lives.

FORT Fan

Many times people from difficult backgrounds overcompensate and overachieve. This does not change their own sense of inferiority, but it's a better way to channel it than into self-hatred. People like Bethenny make a living out of being crass, like a lot of comedians do, with their hostility oriented outward. She doesn't seem to have an ability to relate to normally adjusted people and sees them as the aberrant ones (which they no doubt were, in her childhood of thousand dollar limo bar-hops at age 14 and the constant moving).

I do give her props for turning a damaged childhood into a successful brand. It's just one I'm not buying.
    You are entitled to your own opinion, but not your own facts -- Daniel Patrick Moynahan

FORT Fogey

The reason why her brand will not be successful in the long term is because she's not really passionate about what she's selling. She's passionate about be famous but not about cooking or margaritas or exercise. She's throwing everything out there to see what sticks. Has she ever worked professionally as a comedienne? We know she gave film acting a try. I suppose she's got a terrible singing voice, or she'd have tried that one too. The only place I ever see the Skinny Girl logo is on the show. Are Skinny Girl margaritas popular in the cities? I've never seen it on the store shelves here. Not that I'm haunting the liquor departments.

FORT Fogey

Her own husband seems "normally adjusted," as does her longtime best friend Teri and her friend with the baby boy. Her mother-in-law seems normally adjusted and very fond of Bethenny. I obviously can't comment on all her friends, as I don't know who they are. Max and Julie seem fairly normal, and she is fond of them and vice versa. She does have a tendency to act crass and brash, but in a humorous way that apparently those close to her understand and therefore do not find off-putting. Most people I know are quirky in some way, and for the most part I find it delightful. I'd rather be around B than someone who is mean-spirited and deliberately hurtful, always looking for things to be negative and complain about. That's a way of "overcompensating" for a damaging childhood, too. I much prefer Bethenny's way. I think we have to be careful about watching people on reality shows and assuming that their superficial "camera selves" are the totality of who they are. I could see many soft, tender, kind aspects of Bethenny under the glare of all that Bravo wanted to emphasize for the sake of entertaining, controversial TV.

FORT Fogey

I'd rather be around B than someone who is mean-spirited and deliberately hurtful, always looking for things to be negative and complain about.
    That is so ironic because that is exactly how she comes across to me.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by ubidiah;4037201;
    The reason why her brand will not be successful in the long term is because she's not really passionate about what she's selling. She's passionate about be famous but not about cooking or margaritas or exercise. She's throwing everything out there to see what sticks. Has she ever worked professionally as a comedienne? We know she gave film acting a try. I suppose she's got a terrible singing voice, or she'd have tried that one too. The only place I ever see the Skinny Girl logo is on the show. Are Skinny Girl margaritas popular in the cities? I've never seen it on the store shelves here. Not that I'm haunting the liquor departments.
    And you base this assertion on what sort of intimate knowledge of Bethenny's passions? It's public knowledge that she graduated from a culinary institute in NY and was a natural foods chef and caterer for years before becoming "famous." She also created an exercise DVD and wrote two books about healthy cooking. Sounds pretty passionate to me. Now that she's become a celebrity, why not use it to write more books or promote herself in whatever way she chooses. That's what most people do in her situation. However, in her case, unlike some others, she obviously has the talent and knowledge to back it up.

I wouldn't know about the margaritas as I have no reason to frequent liquor stores or bars.
    Last edited by Lucky22; 08-14-2010 at 02:18 PM.

+ Reply to Thread