+ Reply to Thread
Page 53 of 97 FirstFirst ... 3434445464748495051525354555657585960616263 ... LastLast

Thread: Bethenny Getting Married?

Re: Bethenny Getting Married?

Quote Originally Posted by ubidiah;4002061;
    I read that she had issues with weight when she was younger. I've never noticed the dislike of overweight people. Can you give an example?
    Hi Ubidiah...of course I might not be able to quote exactly...but here goes...when she was at that hotel for her bachlorette party (I think that's what it was)..and that woman fell down drunk or whatever she was...Bethenny didn't just make a comment about her falling, but stated something about how funny it was seeing that HUGE (or something like that) woman fall. She also is constantly making comments about her own self looking huge and how disgusting the extra weight is. I think she even commented to Jason that if he had met her and she was overweight aka huge...he wouldn't have liked her. There was another incident when she was in the store trying to buy pregnancy clothes (I think she was with her wedding planner or some other guy) and she commented about overweight people or clothes for big people...I can't remember exactly what she said...but it was very obvious that she was disgusted by it. Sorry I can't do any better than that...I didn't save the episodes or I would watch them again...but nevertheless...there seems to be this theme going on with her and not liking being overweight and making comments about weight issues re: her pregnancy and even making comments re: other people and weight. Best I can say is keep an eye out and see if you notice. Have a great day!

FORT Fogey

Ah, yes. I see what you mean. I haven't seen all the episodes, so I missed the one when the woman fell. I definitely noticed when she kept saying she was disgusting, meaning her pregnant stomach. I guess she only wants to sell Skinny Girl margaritas to skinny girls.

Quote Originally Posted by ubidiah;4002092;
    Ah, yes. I see what you mean. I haven't seen all the episodes, so I missed the one when the woman fell. I definitely noticed when she kept saying she was disgusting, meaning her pregnant stomach. I guess she only wants to sell Skinny Girl margaritas to skinny girls.
    You know, as someone who has struggled with weight issues my entire life....I notice when people are snarky towards people who are not thin and when they have an issue with those who are overweight. My mom is one of those types. Maybe I am hypersensitive, but B does not come off to me as someone who really has alot of compassion towards people who need help losing weight....as you said...it seems like she just wants to hang w/the skinny, good looking gals and she is on a quest to keep skinny girls skinny!! Yet she will make most of her money off of selling products that would be attractive to the very sect of people she seems to have disgust towards, those who are overweight. Just the name of her product and company alone...SKINNY GIRL tells all. Since when is SKINNY even healthy? Of course...if she had weight issues as a child, she might have gotten her body weight under control by dieting, but obviously the wounds are still there, hence her dislike for overweight or even her big prego belly...she hates being around anything that reminds her of where she was. She needs some serious emotional healing so she can bring words of hope to others.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by ubidiah;4002022;
    I don't. Because they are super-contrived. I figure there are levels of fakery. You can put people in a situation and then film what happens, or whatever. I never really thought that Bravo would completely fake an entire scene like that. I understand that they couldn't be there for the real water-breaking. I just don't understand why they would pretend that they were. There was plenty of "real" footage at the hospital to work with. Bethenny brags about being real. Even Tamra Barney questioned it. I guess without the drama of the other housewives, they have to make it up scene for scene and line for line. Come on. You thought the water-break scene was real, right? How stupid is it to watch it now knowing it was all made up. It's dumb, isn't it? Everyone running around half-naked pretending a baby is coming. It's not the same show if they are faking scenes.
    Nope, doesn't bother me at all. At some point her water broke, and they wanted a water-breaking scene for the show because it was the reason she went to the hospital. So whatever footage they have at the hospital is irrelevant to this point. As has already been stated so well by another poster, this is not a documentary ... it's a TV show that is supposed to be entertaining. Entertaining in this case includes both drama and comedy. The water-breaking scene was both, and it was much more effective for purposes of the story to show such a scene than to just suddenly have them in the car on the way to the hospital mentioning that her water broke.

I'm just not bothered by every trivial detail on a reality show. I enjoy both The Bachelor and Bachelorette, and they are so darn scripted and manipulated from beginning to end, but it's fun to watch and even laugh about the phoniness. BGM doesn't begin to compare to those shows in scripted and phony scenes. If I didn't enjoy watching these shows, and if I felt the need to be consistently and repeatedly critical of every little thing ad nauseum, especially when most if not all of those things are par for the course on reality shows, I just wouldn't watch. But that's just me. I don't get any payoff from tormenting myself or others. There are certainly many other TV shows on, as well as many other ways to spend one's time besides watching TV.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Holly in SoCal;4002109;
    You know, as someone who has struggled with weight issues my entire life....I notice when people are snarky towards people who are not thin and when they have an issue with those who are overweight. My mom is one of those types. Maybe I am hypersensitive, but B does not come off to me as someone who really has alot of compassion towards people who need help losing weight....as you said...it seems like she just wants to hang w/the skinny, good looking gals and she is on a quest to keep skinny girls skinny!! Yet she will make most of her money off of selling products that would be attractive to the very sect of people she seems to have disgust towards, those who are overweight. Just the name of her product and company alone...SKINNY GIRL tells all. Since when is SKINNY even healthy? Of course...if she had weight issues as a child, she might have gotten her body weight under control by dieting, but obviously the wounds are still there, hence her dislike for overweight or even her big prego belly...she hates being around anything that reminds her of where she was. She needs some serious emotional healing so she can bring words of hope to others.
    I always think of skinny as being a negative term, really. I mean it's nice to be trim or slim or healthy, but skinny doesn't really sound nice. You would think that if she is all about being slim and healthy that she would address it as an issue with overweight people, but really she's not about being healthy so much as cashing in on a skinny-obsessed society. There's a big difference.

Quote Originally Posted by ubidiah;4002120;
    I always think of skinny as being a negative term, really. I mean it's nice to be trim or slim or healthy, but skinny doesn't really sound nice. You would think that if she is all about being slim and healthy that she would address it as an issue with overweight people, but really she's not about being healthy so much as cashing in on a skinny-obsessed society. There's a big difference.
    You are soooo right ubidiah!!!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Holly in SoCal;4002109;
    Very perceptive, Holly. Those childhood wounds can certainly trigger animosity and venom toward anyone who reminds us of them... of characteristics that on a deep subconscious level we do not like, or would not like, in ourselves. Actually, I didn't notice that Bethenny felt that way, but perhaps you are right. I can see why someone who is accustomed to being thin might react to the sight of her big belly and pudgy face, even though pregnancy is a beautiful thing. Seemed to me she had a sense of humor about it, though.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky22;4002110;
    Nope, doesn't bother me at all. At some point her water broke, and they wanted a water-breaking scene for the show because it was the reason she went to the hospital. So whatever footage they have at the hospital is irrelevant to this point. As has already been stated so well by another poster, this is not a documentary ... it's a TV show that is supposed to be entertaining. Entertaining in this case includes both drama and comedy. The water-breaking scene was both, and it was much more effective for purposes of the story to show such a scene than to just suddenly have them in the car on the way to the hospital mentioning that her water broke.

I'm just not bothered by every trivial detail on a reality show. I enjoy both The Bachelor and Bachelorette, and they are so darn scripted and manipulated from beginning to end, but it's fun to watch and even laugh about the phoniness. BGM doesn't begin to compare to those shows in scripted and phony scenes. If I didn't enjoy watching these shows, and if I felt the need to be consistently and repeatedly critical of every little thing ad nauseum, especially when most if not all of those things are par for the course on reality shows, I just wouldn't watch. But that's just me. I don't get any payoff from tormenting myself or others. There are certainly many other TV shows on, as well as many other ways to spend one's time besides watching TV.
    Yeah, that's just me. I watch, and love to hate it. Oh well, different strokes. Do you watch RHoNJ? Do you watch it because you like and admire the women on that show? I don't. I watch it so I can make fun of them after.

FORT Fogey

Those childhood wounds can certainly trigger animosity and venom toward anyone who reminds us of them...
    Hmmm...she's venomous towards overweight people? I don't know if I'd go that far, but if you interpret it that way. I would more say she was snarky about it. Like those two women she'd never seen before in the CPR class that she called Stepford Wives. Two complete strangers just sitting there and got insulted for no other reason than showing up. That might have been venomous, but even then, it's a little strong.

You know Lucky 22...as someone who also comes from a very painful and abusive past, as B has...I totally understand her sense of humor and why she has it...the sarcastic remarks and such and even poking fun at herself. When you've been hurt alot, sometimes you'd rather poke fun at yourself first before anyone else can. You learn to use humor to mask the pain. I am very good at that and usually people think I am hilarious, but deep inside...I know this humor was developed out of a huge amount of pain and rejection. It was a coping mechanism.....I learned to see the funny side of things so that I would not have to deal with the painful things. So...my heart does go out for Bethenny...I know her pain. I hope she gets healing inside so she can believe that Jason can love her for her, no matter what she looks like. And that others too can love and appreciate her if she shows who she really is behind all the protective jokes and sarcasm.

+ Reply to Thread