+ Reply to Thread
Page 45 of 97 FirstFirst ... 35363738394041424344454647484950515253545595 ... LastLast

Thread: Bethenny Getting Married?

Re: Bethenny Getting Married?

Quote Originally Posted by ubidiah;3999495;
    Does a Bravo camera crew sleep in Bethenny's home? Wasn't anyone concerned that she was 6 weeks early? Everything Max says sounds scripted. I could totally do without the spoon and the ice. Not a pretty eater.
    Yeah, tonight Max sounded weird, I noticed that, too. .....not scripted, but out of kilter. Perhaps it's just the way he talks. It could be because he didn't speak that much previously and I noticed tonight he spoke a lot. I just find him out of kilter -- not expressive, or something.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    Tom Hanks - A League of Their Own

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by ubidiah;3999495;
    Does a Bravo camera crew sleep in Bethenny's home? Wasn't anyone concerned that she was 6 weeks early? Everything Max says sounds scripted. I could totally do without the spoon and the ice. Not a pretty eater.
    Uhhh I think it's pretty logical to guess that part of the deal was that they had to be present for the wedding and labor.

I actually really enjoyed this episode. But I'm confused as to the purpose of a baby nurse. Do they stay for a few weeks, and sort of help you learn? Or do they take over the care of the baby?

I think Max's speech pattern is just halting. His voice has very little affectation (is that the right word?).

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by tears.and.rain;3999576;
    Uhhh I think it's pretty logical to guess that part of the deal was that they had to be present for the wedding and labor.

I actually really enjoyed this episode. But I'm confused as to the purpose of a baby nurse. Do they stay for a few weeks, and sort of help you learn? Or do they take over the care of the baby?

I think Max's speech pattern is just halting. His voice has very little affectation (is that the right word?).
    I think the nurse just helps out for a little while. Bethenny's friend (with the unfortunate baby...) had the same nurse and Bethenny was talking about snatching her up when her baby was born. So I think this nurse bounces around helping around (rich) new parents learn how to deal with a baby.

Also reason number 9882 in not having a baby: Ice water for 24 hours? Giving birth takes a lot of energy give me some food!

FORT Fogey

I don't know what I'm going to do when I have kids if I can't eat! Eating is my solution to everything... and swimming is my solution to my solution, so I don't end up a hippo!

Something about baby nurses offends my sensibilities. I just don't like the thought of a newborn being cared for, instead of it's perfectly capable mother and father, by a stranger who will eventually leave. Maybe it's because we're so neurotic about babies in our family. Newborns are basically either asleep or being held, sometimes both. My mother wouldn't even let them take me to the nursery for the night when I was born - you would have thought they were trying to kidnap me, lol!

BUT there's a big difference between someone coming to show you the ropes and someone taking over for you. New moms, traditionally, have their mothers come stay with them for a few days until they get it down. Bethenny doesn't have that. So I do get it.

Ubi-if you've already read my previous post, my apologies. It does seem weird that they were there so early. The only possible explanation is that they were there because they were supposed to be filming that day anyway? Unless you can think of something else, that's all I got.

Quote Originally Posted by tears.and.rain;3999596;
    Something about baby nurses offends my sensibilities. I just don't like the thought of a newborn being cared for, instead of it's perfectly capable mother and father, by a stranger who will eventually leave. Maybe it's because we're so neurotic about babies in our family. Newborns are basically either asleep or being held, sometimes both. My mother wouldn't even let them take me to the nursery for the night when I was born - you would have thought they were trying to kidnap me, lol!
    Shortened your quote to just address the baby nurse situation. I agree with you. I got the impression from Bethanny's friend that taking care of a newborn is just sooooo difficult that you need help. Pul-eeese, millions of women throughout the ages have taken care of their babies w/o nurses so they could get some precious sleep. It's not easy to care for a newborn but it can be done without "suffering" so much! I remember how hard it was to get up in the night but I also remember that as soon as I saw those sweet little faces of my babies, I completely forgot about sleeping and just felt totally, helplessly in love while I changed and fed them. Those moments will always be a priceless memory and I would have hated to have put sleep ahead of spending time and bonding with a new baby. Am hoping Bethanny doesn't use a nurse. I don't think she's any more delicate than the rest of us mothers.
    (sorry if I sound self righteous but I'm old and old fashioned)

Regarding why they were there early: I almost wonder if maybe filming days start early? Or maybe they are able to record them without physically being there in the early hours? Those were my thoughts.

I don't know about a baby nurse--that is a rich person thing. I had my husband there figuring things out and helping with the duties and my mom on speed dial when I first gave birth. I didn't need or want a stranger to come in. I had thought maybe Jason's mother would help out, but maybe she either couldn't make it or Bethenney wasn't comfortable with that. I can't remember how far away his parents live. I also wonder if Bethenney's baby nurse was kind of a baby sitter too. I remember during the reunion show she mentioned that her baby was at home with the baby nurse.

About eating during labor--there really is no benefit to not eating. I think it gives you the strength you need--in later labor you won't want it as much. The only way there would be a risk is if you had to have general anesthesia, which we rarely use for c-sections any more. Yet, it is still a rule on many maternity wards. When I was giving birth, I made my husband smuggle me in food when he went out to get it and of course, I made him get my coffee. I shudder to think what it would hae been like without that. I had one nurse catch me with my coffee and I told her she would take it from my cold dead hands. She relented- I don't think she was going to fight with a woman in labor.

FORT Fanatic

I never heard of anyone going to the hospital immediately after their water broke. I wonder if that was at the request of the camera crew, and the hospital went along for the publicity? I've never had a baby, yet I seemed to know more about it than Bethenny did. Hadn't she read any books or talked with friends who had been pregnant?

Seems like it would have been good to given her a little food; maybe she was getting something in an IV.

FORT Fogey

Uhhh, here's the thing, she was 5 or 6 weeks early and Bravo was in her apartment while she was presumably asleep and her water broke. So, do they sleep in her apartment or did she call them and say, "Get over her, my water broke!"

As to the nurse, she is sleeping in the same room as the baby, not the mama or the papa, so I would say the nurse does everything that no one else feels like doing.

FORT Fogey

Uhhh, here's the thing, she was 5 or 6 weeks early and Bravo was in her apartment while she was presumably asleep and her water broke. So, do they sleep in her apartment in case she goes into early labor or did she call them and say, "Get over her, my water broke!" I thought that if your water breaks, you're supposed to go to the hospital now! I've never been in early labor, but that would have terrified me being more than a month early. Also, I sort of think they planted all that fake water around, and it was obvious that Jason was not really asleep like he pretended to be.

As to the nurse, she is sleeping in the same room as the baby, not the mama or the papa, so I would say the nurse does everything that no one else feels like doing. I don't get it. Babies aren't that hard to take care of.

Why does stupid Max get so much attention? He's not even that cute. That long-suffering girl, Julie?, she is my absolute favorite. She couldn't have been happier to see the nurse, and the nurse couldn't have cared less. I love those two together. Julie: We're a family! Nurse: I'm out of here in 30 days, hear me?
    Last edited by ubidiah; 07-23-2010 at 09:48 AM.

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thedragonlady;3999627;
    ... Pul-eeese, millions of women throughout the ages have taken care of their babies w/o nurses so they could get some precious sleep. It's not easy to care for a newborn but it can be done without "suffering" so much! I remember how hard it was to get up in the night but I also remember that as soon as I saw those sweet little faces of my babies, I completely forgot about sleeping and just felt totally, helplessly in love while I changed and fed them. Those moments will always be a priceless memory and I would have hated to have put sleep ahead of spending time and bonding with a new baby. Am hoping Bethanny doesn't use a nurse. I don't think she's any more delicate than the rest of us mothers.
    (sorry if I sound self righteous but I'm old and old fashioned)
    Aside from the falling in love, the complete bonding - what I remember is seeing the world through a haze of exhaustion and never being fully dressed. Nursing on demand, holding and rocking, walking my babies. It's like spending a a period of time in another world... a rather damp, humid one

I had the good fortune to be able to thake 6 monhs off with each new baby. I doubt Bethenny has that option. Also, I recall being an absolute alarmist with my first. I'd call the pediatrician nearly every morning, and if he told me to put my son in 100 degree oven, I probably would have. I had no confidence at all in my ability to keep my baby safe from everything that could hurt him! I remember having terrible nightmares about it. The second baby was entirely different. Maybe Bethenny's one of those nervous first-time moms? And maybe she needs a babysitter, but feels better if the babysitter's also a nurse?
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

+ Reply to Thread