+ Reply to Thread
Page 38 of 97 FirstFirst ... 28293031323334353637383940414243444546474888 ... LastLast

Thread: Bethenny Getting Married?

FORT Fogey

Re: Bethenny Getting Married?

Bethenny Frankel's Mom Refutes 'Toxic' Childhood Claims | PopEater.com

I guess her mom is saying not everything Bethenny says is true. She's a professor of design in NYC. Saw a pic and she looks a little like Scary Betty Davis.

FORT Fan

In the People article the reporters spoke with both Bethenny's mom and ex-stepfather. In general her mom denied Bethenny's statements about the mom and the stepfather denied the statements about him, but her mom confirmed most of the statements about the ex-stepfather and he confirmed most of the statements about the mom. They both claim though that the violence (i.e. the statements that concerned them both) wasn't the way Bethenny described it. While there is always the element of there's one persons side of the story, there is the other person's side of the story, and the truth is generally in between, it is pretty typical for someone who was abusive to deny it.

Quote Originally Posted by ubidiah;3989403;
    I would say that reality fame, via Bravo, probably has very nice perks. However, the only marriage I can think of, at the moment, that survived reality TV is the Osborne's. I think it does something to people that even they can't explain. It's definitely a bargain with the devil.
    The one I can think of is Bachelorette's Trista and Ryan.

I don't have a problem with them letting Bravo film the wedding, or even parts of the honeymoon, since they did have days of privacy. I do wish someone would have panned away when they jumped in the pool nekkid ... lol
    "Quotes on the internet may not be accurate." - Abraham Lincoln

FORT Fogey

Yeah, but they never really had a reality show together.

FORT Fogey

Yeah, beyond this far, I can see being on a reality show causing problems for a couple.

Quote Originally Posted by Boann;3989464;
    In the People article the reporters spoke with both Bethenny's mom and ex-stepfather. In general her mom denied Bethenny's statements about the mom and the stepfather denied the statements about him, but her mom confirmed most of the statements about the ex-stepfather and he confirmed most of the statements about the mom. They both claim though that the violence (i.e. the statements that concerned them both) wasn't the way Bethenny described it. While there is always the element of there's one persons side of the story, there is the other person's side of the story, and the truth is generally in between, it is pretty typical for someone who was abusive to deny it.
    I would think that it would be more traumatic for a child growing up in this environment - it can scar the bejesus out of you.

Quote Originally Posted by mom2;3987119;
    Everytime I hear or read "St. Bart's" I think of Simon saying it ..
    Hey, me too! He works so hard on that accent, and it comes off so fakey. He's seeming less abhorrent since I saw him on Andy's WWH, where he acted almost like a normal kinda flakey man instead of his weird HW personna.
    "Not my circus. Not my monkeys"
    ~~ Old Polish Proverb ~~

Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brains fall out. Carl Sagan.

FORT Fogey

I always thought you couldn't get past it (trauma) if you didn't talk about it. She does quite a bit of talking about it. I remember her bringing up her dad waaaay back maybe in her first episode.

FORT Fogey

That's true... but it's not like if you talkandtalkandtalk about it it'll magically go away you know? It's like, you can't make a cake without sugar, but sugar by itself won't give you a cake.

If you notice though, she doesn't do as much talking about it directly to other people. She'll say things to a camera, but a camera's not going to give you any feedback. I don't think anyone on the show knows the full story. She just says stuff like her childhood was terrible, she raised herself, etc. Never going into details, never exploring it, just stating the awfulness. That's not theraputic, that's dwelling.
    Last edited by tears.and.rain; 07-19-2010 at 01:03 AM.

FORT Fogey

Dwelling is a good word for it. I hope she gets real therapy because the fake TV therapy doesn't seem to be helping.

+ Reply to Thread