+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 97 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212262 ... LastLast

Thread: Bethenny Getting Married?

Re: Bethenny Getting Married?

Yes, I love David Trutera! He has such great taste. He is also tactful and knows how to lead the bride from a horrific choice to a more tasteful one, without insulting her. LOL. Not that Bethenny's choices were tacky.

I have always heard that the gift you give should cost the amount that they paid for your meal, if you can afford it. If the meal is super expensive, then you might not pay much attention to the rule though. The couple can't expect eveyone to be able to afford a high priced meal. I don't know how much the dinner will be at the Four Seasons. Depending on the menu, $100-300 per person. Does that sound right? Here's a link.

Wedding Etiquette: Should Your Wedding Gift Cover the Cost of Your Meal? - Associated Content - associatedcontent.com

FORT Fogey

The Four Seasons is extravagant just by it's nature. I'm sure she didn't have to pay for it. I object less to extravagance then I do laughing at people who would spend $40 on a wedding gift. Live it up, but don't belittle people because they didn't buy you a $95 ice bucket. Because maybe that wasn't a good deal to them.

FORT Fogey

My bad. 80 guests but the venue starts at $200,000.

Wait? Did she even register for those silly napkin rings? I remember her asking if they needed napkin rings and I swear it was agreed that they didn't. So are we 'arguing' (I use that word loosely) about something that she didn't even register for?

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes07;3944579;
    Wait? Did she even register for those silly napkin rings? I remember her asking if they needed napkin rings and I swear it was agreed that they didn't. So are we 'arguing' (I use that word loosely) about something that she didn't even register for?
    I'd be surprised if they registered for the napkin rings as IMO they just didn't care for them.

To use Bethenny's words "What we're arguing about isn't what we are arguing about."

In my book people are entitled to have whatever wedding they want, be it a simple backyard affair or an extravagant wedding at the Four Seasons with 300 guests. I also believe that there are people out there who can afford a wedding at the Four Seasons and still have sufficient life experience to relate to people who cannot.

Quote Originally Posted by ubidiah;3944548;
    Did I not hear a wedding list of something like 300 people? That's extravagant. That rock of a ring is extravagant. The Four Seasons is extravagant. You can bet your bottom dollar that Bethenny's wedding did not cost $6000. I'll bet her dress cost more than that. Couldn't she be a little more sensitive instead of acting like she's above a $40 wedding gift? Or that a $95 ice bucket is a good bargain? That is unequivocally extravagant. I suspect that for all of her bad childhood, she has never wanted for money.

You are not Bethenny Frankel making money hand over fist. For her to be sucking up the gifts because she can is greedy. But, then, she strikes me as being innately selfish and self-centered.

In the first episode, the guest list as discussed. Bethanny actually gave Jason a number like 75. Jason said that he didn't know if he could keep it that low. but the end number was nowhere near 300 and Bethanny was the one wanting to keep it small.

Now, since the wedding is going to be smaller, I am jumping to the conclusion that they know everyone on their guest list fairly well. And they probably have an idea of what all of those people might spend for their wedding gift. Most of the people coming to her wedding would probably not blink at a $95 ice bucket.

Also, lots of couples register at 2 different places,( an upscale dept store for China and crystal and Target or similar for more everyday stuff) and we only saw the part of that Bravo wanted us to see, so you don't know for certain that they didn't register for a toaster and a crockpot or some bath towels at Target.

Quote Originally Posted by ubidiah;3944548;
    Did I not hear a wedding list of something like 300 people? That's extravagant.
    I read it was only 70 people. Doesn't seem extravagant to me. Did Bethenny even have bridesmaids? My sister's wedding where we had the reception in the front yard seemed more extravagant than Bethenny's.

FORT Fogey

Yes I posted 80 guests above.

Bethenny's bridal registry can be found online. Just go to theknot.com or even bloomingdale's and type her name in their wedding registry section. No napkin rings were on the registry. Except for the $495 cashmere throw, I really did not find any of these items to be extravagant. (I admit now that I want to feel that sucker!) But I could see possibly two couples going in on it and giving it as a gift. That happens too! If one does not live in NYC, or has never been to a NYC wedding, maybe some of these items would seem extreme. To me, they do not. From experience, I know that NYers are very generous when it comes to weddings.

We are going to two upstate NY weddings in July. Both brides-to-be are in their 20s, and these will be first-time weddings. They have listed many similar items on their registries...and much more....at the same prices. In the past we have also gone to weddings where the brides were "older" and very established in their careers. They had just as much china and crystal listed on their registries, along with all the everyday stuff like kitchen towels, as the younger brides.

The wedding industry has not suffered much during this recession, from what I have witnessed at various weddings we've been to over the last year or so.

Lastly, who really cares what kind of wedding she had? None of us were invited, none of us had to shell out for a gift. She got what she wanted, she is happy, and she now has a loving husband and beautiful baby. Be happy for her or change the channel if she bothers you so much!

FORT Fogey

My objection was really always about the crack on the $40 present. As though $40 is to laugh at and make fun of. Maybe it would have been funny if she was working on the clock for 12 bucks and hour, hoping she doesn't get laid off. It's not funny when she's wearing designer clothes and getting married at the Four Seasons. If Jill Zarin said something like that, there'd be hell to pay.

+ Reply to Thread