+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 97 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202161 ... LastLast

Thread: Bethenny Getting Married?

FORT Fogey

Re: Bethenny Getting Married?

It's a joke at the expense of people who wish they had 40 bucks to shell out for a wedding gift. Yes, a wedding like that, complete with a dress worth thousands, hundreds of guests, etc. I think it's tacky to register for gifts when one is 40, established and has been married before. Aren't gifts of that nature to help a young couple set up household? A gift of acknowledgment is one thing, but to register for gifts you already have too many of is greedy. How about "In lieu of gifts, a donation may be made in the name of Bryn Hoppy" or some such thing?

FORT Regular

Maybe I'm idealistic but I think a little bit of the wedding stuff is for Jason's family in a way. Inviting his mom to go shopping with her was nice. Since Jason is now an only child and hopefully this will be his only wedding so I can imagine it's important to his parents that some things happen.

Of course I think Bethenny wants things grand and show offy and if someone else is footing the bill so much the better but I want to think some of this has good motives behind it. As for being 39 and pregnant and wearing a white wedding dress, more power to her. It's not all about her, why should Jason and his family miss out on "stuff" just because the bride isn't a blushing virgin?

FORT Fogey

It's not that the dress is white, it's the extravaganza, the pomposity of it. She likes to act as though she's of the people, that she's relatable. I don't know anyone right now that thinks a $95 ice bucket is a good deal. If it was all about Jason then what was the bit with her needing to have all of her business people at her wedding, edging out who Jason wanted to be there? I realize that this is a Bravo production, the wedding, which is all the more tacky. What more is to be expected by someone who talks the way she does to virtual strangers about balls and such? I guess she thinks the shock value of that is funny, but there's a time and place for everything and she doesn't seem to know the boundary. Or, if she does, she enjoys crossing it because she thinks it makes good TV. I actually did sort of like her in the first season of HW, but the more I see of her, the more phony and tricked out she is.

I really have yet to see what the extravagance is? So far the only things we've know about the wedding is the venue she wants the wedding at, how she wants the flowers, and her dress. None of which, to me, are extravagance and my wedding cost about $6k in total (including my dress). But then I got married at 34, after having lived on my own for 10 yeas and registered for gifts!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Boann;3944114;
    I think that you make a lot of good points about what to look for in a wedding planner, or anyone else for that matter who is working for you. In this particular case Bethenny ended up with the wedding she wanted using this wedding planner. Since we don't see everything we have to make judgments as to the scope of the problem and I'm willing to lean in the direction that there were definite bumps in the road, but ultimately they had a meeting of the minds.
    No, we won't get to see everything, but if the way she acted at the Four Seasons is any indication, I think she got the wedding she wanted IN SPITE OF the wedding planner, not BECAUSE of him. She parked herself there and insisted that was where the wedding HAD to be, nowhere else, and he needed to go talk to the manager and arrange it. She also was insistent about the size and shape of the tables. She got what she wanted by being extremely assertive and telling the planner what he'd better do, and I wouldn't exactly call that a meeting of the minds. In this case, I think she was absolutely right to insist on what she wanted, because it was her wedding, and the planner was just taking the easy way out and being unpleasant and uncooperative on top of it. A less assertive bride would not have gotten the wedding she wanted from that guy.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes07;3944486;
    I really have yet to see what the extravagance is? So far the only things we've know about the wedding is the venue she wants the wedding at, how she wants the flowers, and her dress. None of which, to me, are extravagance and my wedding cost about $6k in total (including my dress). But then I got married at 34, after having lived on my own for 10 yeas and registered for gifts!
    I'm sure your wedding was lovely, but there's a huge variance in cost for locations, food, gown, etc. You can buy a gown for $500 or $20,000 or more, for example. Celebs often pay millions for their or a daughter's wedding. So yes, Bethenny's wedding could have been extravagant. We don't know, but we certainly can't rule it out, either, and I tend to lean to the side that says it was. The Four Seasons is an extremely upscale venue, and I bet her dress cost a fortune! Celebrity wedding planners don't come cheap, either. It would be interesting if we could find out the total bill for the wedding: gown, venue, food, flowers, etc. Maybe Bravo will brag about it, and then we'll see.

FORT Fan

Based on the articles written about the wedding I would say that it was definitely upscale, but not extravagant. For example the wedding dress was by Amsale, the ceremony and reception were held at a hotel - though the hotel was the Four Seasons, not the Marriott (which is a fine hotel - just not the Four Seasons). I think that it wasn't extravagant in that she didn't have a bevy of bridesmaids, etc. Bethenny changed into a white track suit for the reception instead of another gown.

Based on Registries I've seen in places such as Macy's and Crate and Barrel I would say that a $95 wine bucket is a reasonable thing to have on a registry, as long as there are also less expensive items for people to have a choice. I liked that they decided against $170 crystal glasses. I thought that it was interesting (and cute too) how they were asking each other "are we going to be the type of people who..." when deciding on Registry items.

She should have hired David Tutera as her wedding planner....he can change the plans of an entire wedding in three weeks!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes07;3944486;
    Did I not hear a wedding list of something like 300 people? That's extravagant. That rock of a ring is extravagant. The Four Seasons is extravagant. You can bet your bottom dollar that Bethenny's wedding did not cost $6000. I'll bet her dress cost more than that. Couldn't she be a little more sensitive instead of acting like she's above a $40 wedding gift? Or that a $95 ice bucket is a good bargain? That is unequivocally extravagant. I suspect that for all of her bad childhood, she has never wanted for money.

You are not Bethenny Frankel making money hand over fist. For her to be sucking up the gifts because she can is greedy. But, then, she strikes me as being innately selfish and self-centered.

I actually didn't hear the 300 wedding guests. I thought I heard the guest list was less than 100 people.

I'm not Bethenny Frankel, I'm not making money hand over fist, and I still do not think her wedding sounds extravagant.

+ Reply to Thread