+ Reply to Thread
Page 66 of 428 FirstFirst ... 16565758596061626364656667686970717273747576116166 ... LastLast
Like Tree2466Likes

Thread: The Real Housewives of New York

Hibernating

Re: The Real Housewives of New York

Quote Originally Posted by Omar_X;3920901;
    What they don't seem to understand is just how selfish they are being by refusing to let him have a name that lets him blend in with all the other boys in their area. Save the embarrassing and/or family names for the middle name that few people will ever see. The very last thing kids want is to be different from their peers. They only want to be different from their parents, but not in a dorky way.

I think the most likely scenario is Francoise will learn quickly to pick up a nick name or just call himself Franky. Either way he will likely have to hide it from his pretentious parents, which will mean that at some point his parents will notice that he never seems to bring any of his school friends around. Of course, with a father who dresses like Simon, there could be any number of reasons why a child who has begun to reach an age of self awareness.
    Francoise is named after Simon's father who actually went by "Frank" when he moved from Holland to Australia, So I doubt the name "Franky" would bother his parents too much if Francoise should chose to go by that.

I honestly don't think the boy's names are all that bad. NY is so diverse that I'm sure that the kids there are used to many different names from different backgrounds and cultures. I would think there are probably kids at school with names that are even more "unique" than the van Kempen boys.

Quote Originally Posted by Omar_X;3920901;
    What they don't seem to understand is just how selfish they are being by refusing to let him have a name that lets him blend in with all the other boys in their area. Save the embarrassing and/or family names for the middle name that few people will ever see. The very last thing kids want is to be different from their peers. They only want to be different from their parents, but not in a dorky way.

I think the most likely scenario is Francoise will learn quickly to pick up a nick name or just call himself Franky. Either way he will likely have to hide it from his pretentious parents, which will mean that at some point his parents will notice that he never seems to bring any of his school friends around. Of course, with a father who dresses like Simon, there could be any number of reasons why a child who has begun to reach an age of self awareness.
    I don't think its selfish at all- why should they teach him to "blend in with all the other boys in their area"? They are unique individuals teaching their children to be unique as well. I bet he keeps going by that name and rocks it! The girls are going to love him

Quote Originally Posted by Omar_X;3920704;
    Careful, Ubidiah. A puddle of kRaZy leaked out on the floor. Don't step on it, 'cause ut is slicker than frozen snot.

Wow! She just cannot leave it alone and let it go away. Like we all can't see the video of how the rest of the women were treating her, and know with certainty she was not bullied.

Actually, I'm beginning to lose some of my excitement for the reunion show, at least as far as this crazy woman goes. It's just going to her filming her own version of a show where she fights back against all of her perceived bullying. We've see all of it before.
    She's milking it to death. It's all over the internet, TV and constant twittering. She's on the "bullying" campaign -- which is a wonderful thing that should be directed to kids and she is abusing it and trying to come across as a heroine. Because four women got on her case is a far cry from bullying -- in fact, she is really dimishing the meaning of "bullying" which is a horrific thing for any child to have to endure it. Her tweets all day have been ridiculous. She is even tweeting telling everybody to go to this or that website and when you get there, it's headlines on how the last episode was the highest in some kind of Real Housewives (or something) history because of her antics. She thinks she did something wonderful to get the rating -- I'd be ashamed of the reason why the episode got the attention. Totally amazing. I guess she's of the ilk, any publicity is good publicity.

Quote Originally Posted by ubidiah;3920791;
    They'll just always make sure they go to school with kids named Tybalt and Bennington.

Quote Originally Posted by texasgal26;3920602;

I also don't understand how Kelly creates "this stagnant frenetic energy." Does she just randomly throw big words together and assume it will make her sound smarter?
    I also found that to be really odd, to say the least. Definitions of stagnant and frenetic actually mean the opposite of each other. Therefore, don't they cancel each other out and then that leaves us w/only "energy?"
    I'm not sure Kelly even knows what she's saying half the time. I think she just repeats words and phrases she's heard without actually knowing what they mean. i.e., satchels of gold.

RETIRED!! Doing whatever I want, whenever I want, with whomever I want!!

Quote Originally Posted by Luv2Lurk;3921700;
    Francoise is named after Simon's father who actually went by "Frank" when he moved from Holland to Australia, So I doubt the name "Franky" would bother his parents too much if Francoise should chose to go by that.

I honestly don't think the boy's names are all that bad. NY is so diverse that I'm sure that the kids there are used to many different names from different backgrounds and cultures. I would think there are probably kids at school with names that are even more "unique" than the van Kempen boys.
    There was an epi, perhaps in season 1 (I've watched them all out of order so it's hard to keep track of the wackiness), where Bethenny specifically asked Alex about "allowing Francois to go by a nick name like Franky or something." Alex shot her down almost as fast as Bethenny could get the sentence out of her mouth. I had a really strong impression from that exchange that Bethenny was thinking ahead about what it was going to be like for two little boys to try to enjoy the playground carrying the burden of a name like that in a Brooklyn public school. (Yes, I think she already knew the McCord-van Kempens were fooling themselves about getting their kids into the big shot schools they wanted.) My sense from Alex was equally strong that it was a closed subject and Francois would be called Francois no matter what. Have they re-thunk it since then, or might they in the future? Maybe, who knows? I hope they let the kid call himself Dr. Seuss if that makes him happy.

I think Bethenny's angle on the question was simply, though she has done well so far and was in no danger of starving growing up, her youth no doubt had it's gritty side. My money says if Bethenny were to really tell of some of her adventures growing up in NYC pretty much on her own, revelations of attendance at some veeeery surprising parties and rubbing elbows with some veeeery surprising people just might surface. That apparent grit that is still part of her character and is one of the things that I like so much about her.

Conversely, Francois' name and the insistence that he not be allowed to use something that isn't quite so top heavy for a kid is just one more aspect of Alex and Simon's nearly unbridled pretense. Especially this season they have refined their image and presentation to the camera very well. They often come across as normal even. I mean, they have made HUGE strides in how the camera filters their overall image as a...team endeavor or something. That first season though, they were wholly difficult to watch and easy to dislike. The only entertaining thing about them was what obviously staged stunt they would pull next. The one thing that I have to credit them with though, and some of you will laugh at this, is their intelligence. I think Alex is easily the most intelligent person on the show, with Bethenny a not so distant second. They have obviously put that intelligence to work between seasons (hired some publicist help I think), re-imaged themselves and came up with a better way to appeal to the camera. It seems to be working.

As I think about it the "his name is Fancois" epi was the one where Bethenny came over for one of the boy's birthday party and was so shocked at the condition of their home because it had been undergoing "renovations" for so long and was nothing more than ripped apart. It was right at the peak of all the relentless "aren't my children BRILLIANT" tag team presentations for the camera when they were constantly pressing the poor kids to give yet another dissertation about the Pythagorean Theorem in French or something else completely appropriate for a 5 year old who just want's to build a fort with his toast and bacon. Seems it was at the same time they were shopping their kids around to one Dog and Pony Show after another trying to get them into the most prestigious school possible...so that Alex and Simon would look that much better in the paper. I really did have the distinct impression it was as much about Alex and Simon's image as it was about getting the very best for two dear little boys. They just could not compute that what was best for the boys may not necessarily have been what was best for their social image.

In the end I just want their kids to be happy. I want the same for their kids that I want for every kid on the planet; to live as happy and carefree a childhood as possible. In a previous career I had over 20 years ago I did a lot of traveling. Some of the happiest kids I saw were also some of the kids who had almost nothing to their name. They did not go hungry and they had clean water, but that was it. When the only toy you have ever known is a rock and a stick, it's hard to miss anything else.
    Last edited by Omar_X; 06-03-2010 at 04:48 AM.

I'm still not joining the Alex & Simon bandwagon. Granted, it's obvious now that they're not completely the pretentious fops they pretended to be in season one but rather they're complete bores. They might be nice people but there's nothing telegenic about them and in fact, I find them extremely difficult to watch. Alex has an awkward face and body and zero personality and a peculiar laugh, all of which is fine for a real housewife in real life but there's no reason to showcase it on a TV show (unless there was really a TV show about real housewives, which this show ain't). Simon is thankfully hardly ever shown anymore but when he is, he's wearing ridiculous outfits that, it seems to me, he wears just for the sake of getting attention for wearing them.

FORT Fogey

Regarding Alex: That laugh.

Is Francois the oldest? What is their other kids name that we never hear about?

Also, I can see where Alex's laugh would get annoying but I can also see where it would make you laugh even harder when you hear it.

FORT Fogey

Oh, yeah. Her laugh would definitely make me laugh harder. The other kid is Johann (sp?).

+ Reply to Thread