+ Reply to Thread
Page 60 of 441 FirstFirst ... 10505152535455565758596061626364656667686970110160 ... LastLast
Like Tree2625Likes

Thread: The Real Housewives of New York

RETIRED!! Doing whatever I want, whenever I want, with whomever I want!!

Re: The Real Housewives of New York

Quote Originally Posted by ubidiah;3918535;
    Far be it for me to defend Jill, but Bethenny shouldn't talk about other people's annoying voices.
    This is true. By any measure I think it's fair to label me an unapologetic Beth-o-phile due to my unflagging support and fond wishes for her and her family. However, it seems every diamond must have it's flaws. I've heard older women in my family complain often in recent years of how nasal girl's voices have become. No avoiding the truth in that these days I think. It's just, as a man I'm willing to look past a lot of things if I'm getting what I want. It's like someone has convinced them that nose twang is attractive. Nope. Not even a little. Like somehow its fashionable for them to talk through their noses. It took me a while to really notice, but once I did I heard it everywhere, especially bad on the coasts.

Another linguistic annoyance signaling the death of our language that seems to have metastasized from the west coast through our heartland is a bad habit called "oo-fronting" It's too complicated to explain here, so I suggest Googling it. In short, just think of Paris Hilton saying "Thank you," but instead what comes out is that weird way she says "you" and it becomes something akin to "Thank yau." Some claim that oo-fronting started in The South as identified by the way we say "Thank yoo," the emphasis on "yoo" stronger and longer the younger and more feminine the speaker is. I discount this as being a feature of the regional dialect that spread due to influences like cable TV. More telling though, it most certainly is not a new development, being hundreds of years old, unlike the West Coast true "OO- fronting."

Now let's be clear, this is just lazy speech as opposed to a true impediment. There are stars who stutter or have rhoticisms, or can't say the letter "L" because a "G" comes out instead, ect. I like hearing about those stories because it makes the celebrity more human and is usually story of triumph through hard work.
    Last edited by Omar_X; 05-31-2010 at 12:46 AM.

FORT Fogey

^^^ Carly Simon of "You're So Vain" fame had a terrible stutter as a child - she could barely talk, but it went away when she sang. So her mother and sisters just sang everything, and her father didn't approve, but she eventually stopped having the stutter and kept the gorgeous voice!

Sorry, I know that was off-topic, but it's a cool story

I think that Bethanny and Jill both just sound like New Yorkers.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Omar_X;3918817;
    This is true. By any measure I think it's fair to label me an unapologetic Beth-o-phile due to my unflagging support and fond wishes for her and her family. However, it seems every diamond must have it's flaws. I've heard older women in my family complain often in recent years of how nasal girl's voices have become. No avoiding the truth in that these days I think. It's just, as a man I'm willing to look past a lot of things if I'm getting what I want. It's like someone has convinced them that nose twang is attractive. Nope. Not even a little. Like somehow its fashionable for them to talk through their noses. It took me a while to really notice, but once I did I heard it everywhere, especially bad on the coasts.

Another linguistic annoyance signaling the death of our language that seems to have metastasized from the west coast through our heartland is a bad habit called "oo-fronting" It's too complicated to explain here, so I suggest Googling it. In short, just think of Paris Hilton saying "Thank you," but instead what comes out is that weird way she says "you" and it becomes something akin to "Thank yau." Some claim that oo-fronting started in The South as identified by the way we say "Thank yoo," the emphasis on "yoo" stronger and longer the younger and more feminine the speaker is. I discount this as being a feature of the regional dialect that spread due to influences like cable TV. More telling though, it most certainly is not a new development, being hundreds of years old, unlike the West Coast true "OO- fronting."

Now let's be clear, this is just lazy speech as opposed to a true impediment. There are stars who stutter or have rhoticisms, or can't say the letter "L" because a "G" comes out instead, ect. I like hearing about those stories because it makes the celebrity more human and is usually story of triumph through hard work.
    I know exactly what you're referring to. If you watch The Hills, which, unfortunately I have been, you hear all sorts of speech distortions. They almost sound simple-minded. There's another trend that started a few years ago, and maybe we can blame Paris for this too, but it's this baby-talk thing which drives me bonkers. Maybe the boy-men where they live like dating children, but I would think that a man-man would like date a woman who sounds like an adult, not a 5th-grader.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by tears.and.rain;3918821;
    ^^^ Carly Simon of "You're So Vain" fame had a terrible stutter as a child - she could barely talk, but it went away when she sang. So her mother and sisters just sang everything, and her father didn't approve, but she eventually stopped having the stutter and kept the gorgeous voice!

My nieces are Manhattan born and bred, and they don't have even the tiniest trace of an accent. I think the "wives must be from the outer boroughs like Lon Gisland.

Quote Originally Posted by ubidiah;3918843;
    I know exactly what you're referring to. If you watch The Hills, which, unfortunately I have been, you hear all sorts of speech distortions. They almost sound simple-minded. There's another trend that started a few years ago, and maybe we can blame Paris for this too, but it's this baby-talk thing which drives me bonkers. Maybe the boy-men where they live like dating children, but I would think that a man-man would like date a woman who sounds like an adult, not a 5th-grader.
    I was going to write the exact same thing! Kristen is the worst about that!!!!

In any case, I don't mind Bethenny's accent. I think it's endearing. Theresa on RHONJ, on the other hand...

Thankfully, song and other simple tools have been able to help many people with socially crippling speech issues such as stuttering, like Mel Tillis, etc. But that is way different from having an astonishingly nasal twang simply through poor speech habits or puke inducing trendy speech like OO-Fronting or a soft pallet L. I mean, what would be a equivalently neglectful personal hygiene step they could skip that would make them look just as retarded? Maybe if they all stopped shaving or wearing deodorant?

I think they should all go back to flossing at the dinner table right after a meal. Remember that little jewel, and how smug they all were that they were being soooo healthy by flossing literally as soon after eating as possible...

No wait, that one was SO ridiculous and trendy it sounds like movie spoof of the way these people really live. Now I'm totally confused. Did I really see some W. Coast types do that or was that in a movie making fun of them?

Even in polite society is there no stigma attached to sounding like a fog horn?

FORT Fogey

^^ We're all assuming that's not how her voice normally sounds. She can't control her god-given voice.

I know that it's different from the speech patterns you've mentioned. I was responding to your comment about stars who have legitimate speech impediments... you know what nevermind.

You lost me with the flossing. But could you do me a favor and not use "retarded" like that, at least when addressing me? I know it's harmless and you were using it in a harmless context, but it makes me uncomfortable. TIA.

Ubidiah - Well, wouldn't their accents depend more on their parents??

Jill is actually from Long Island. I'm not sure where Bethany is from. My family is from Brooklyn, and while we certainly don't have the typical Brooklyn accent, Bethany's tone would fit right in.
    Last edited by tears.and.rain; 05-31-2010 at 02:09 AM.

FORT Fogey

It's not the accents that are obnoxious. It's the nasal thing Omar suggested and they're loud. There's also a thing where it sounds like they let too much saliva gather in their mouths before swallowing. I know that sounds weird, but it makes me feel like I have to wipe my lips. I'll bet they say it and spray it.

FORT Fogey

Ohhh oh I know what you're talking about with the saliva thing. It's gross.

But I honestly think that Bethany's voice is just naturally that way, and some people just naturally speak nasally. Jill is definitely wayyy too loud though. But in the scenes with her mother and sister, they speak the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by tears.and.rain;3918853;
    Ohhh oh I know what you're talking about with the saliva thing. It's gross.

But I honestly think that Bethany's voice is just naturally that way, and some people just naturally speak nasally. Jill is definitely wayyy too loud though. But in the scenes with her mother and sister, they speak the same way.
    I would be more easily convinced of that if I saw them give their noses a good honking blow just one time. It could be allergies or smog for all we know. The Canadian geese quality of some of their voices really does sound to me like someone who does't want to deal with the possible mess of clearing her snot locker with the cameras present, so it just builds and builds until she is away from he cameras.I realize that would be all gross and stuff, but Bethenny was kind enough to share with us her peeing on a stick to see if she was pregnant.

Quote Originally Posted by tears.and.rain;3918853;
    ...could you do me a favor and not use "retarded" like that, at least when addressing me? I know it's harmless and you were using it in a harmless context, but it makes me uncomfortable.
    No problem.

+ Reply to Thread