+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2222Likes

Thread: The Real Housewives of New York

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

Re: The Real Housewives of New York

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl View Post
    IIRC, Kristen did get the special shoes/braces (ankle height?) for her daughter and tried to get her to put them on when Heather & fam was over. I would think that her daughter would also have a PT or an OT for help. I took the "Forrest Gump" comment to (a) show her ignorance about modern day braces prior to learning what was out there now and (b) wanting to protect her daughter from the bullying that Forrest got for his leg braces. But then again, the season is young. She may turn out to be more vapid than Gretchen (OC).
    OMG! The whole 'brace' thing really took me back to when one of my children was about the same age --- 18 months, or so, and his leg turned inward somewhat, just like Kristen's baby, and we had to put a full leg brace with an attached special kind of shoe on him. It wasn't "painful" for him (thank God), but you could see how miserable he was in it, and how hard it was for him to walk in it --- but eventually he got used to it, and after a year or so his leg was fine and the contraption had done its job. But it totally touched my heart and when I saw the episode with Kristen's baby and I really empathized with both of them --- NOT about how the brace 'looked' cause I don't think I ever even thought of that, but how it must have felt to the baby. HOWEVER, having said all that, Kristen's right, compared to what Heather's little boy has gone through, this was a very minor problem!!!!

PS So sorry about your grandson, DL. I hope everything turns out ok with him!
    Last edited by Imperfect1; 03-23-2014 at 07:20 AM.
    Dragonlady likes this.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I remember some dopey doctor wanted to put my son in some kind of leg brace for a foot that turned inward. I wasn't too keen on the idea. I talked to one of my dreaded SILs who had done that to her child, only she had him in 2 braces, connected by some heavy bar; she had this poor child even sleeping in this contraption. I think this just may have been the "thinking of the day". This child showed no signs of any walking or structural difficulty. With my son and his leg, you could trace his issued back to how he had been "sitting" in the womb, with his legs folded under him; I decided against it. Today, everything is as it should be and, like I said, he took off walking at 6 months of age. Had my child not been waking, it would have been a different story and I'm sure I would have seen things differently. My SIL said that, had she had it to do over again, she wouldn't have put her son in the cumbersome leg braces.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Both of my younger brothers had a similar foot problem. One with both feet who wore a brace at night and one with one foot that turned in and he had a cast put on twice that covered the foot up to the knee when he was about 10 months old. He had just started walking and kept it up without missing a beat. The cast never seemed to bother him and his foot doesn't turn in anymore.

I hope we are able to see Kristen's daughter progress. I also hope I'm able to like Kristen. The previews do peak my interests.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    I think that Kristen sounded confused about her daughter's not walking because she (and doctors) didn't know why.....since there was no physical or mental issues. I thought she sounded more worried about the situation rather than the appearance of her daughter in braces. She's too young now to understand about unkind people or kids making rude remarks or being nosy.....but in time, that will probably happen. Unfortunately.
    also I understand her confusion because my 2 1/2 yr old grandson is still not talking, except a couple words. So far, we've been told there's no physical or mental problem and we should just wait....along w/some developmental teachers twice a week.
    The latest assumption is that his jaw muscles are not as strong as they should be. But who knows??
    It does make you wonder and confused. And then you worry about future teasing or that over-used word: Bullying.
    My youngest son was the same exact way. He didn't utter a word until he was almost 3 when he started to sing a Billy Ocean song to my sister. He could hear & apparently knew how to talk but he chose not to. Now...sigh..I can't get him to keep quiet for 2 minutes. Believe me I am thrilled that he is a happy, intelligent, successful young man but mention 1 topic to him and he goes into a 15 minute tangent about almost nothing.
    Hope your grandson starts talking your ear off soon!
    Punkin and Dragonlady like this.
    Some people dream of having a big swimming pool - with me it's closets."
    -Audrey Hepburn.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

My son also had that on-an-on talking problem, too. I'd let go with a huge sigh and ask him, "Do you have to go on and on and on?" He'd just crack up laughing and continue to go on and on and on. He got a kick out of making me crazy.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

My nephew was born without toes and he also had one foot that turned in. He wore a cast for awhile and it was corrected. He has to have special shoes now but other than that he has no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by PA Snow Bunny View Post
    My youngest son was the same exact way. He didn't utter a word until he was almost 3 when he started to sing a Billy Ocean song to my sister. He could hear & apparently knew how to talk but he chose not to. Now...sigh..I can't get him to keep quiet for 2 minutes. Believe me I am thrilled that he is a happy, intelligent, successful young man but mention 1 topic to him and he goes into a 15 minute tangent about almost nothing.
    Hope your grandson starts talking your ear off soon!
    Kids, so funny! I have a niece who didn't speak until almost 3 - when one night eating spaghetti dinner, she looked up and said "This is delicious!". Sure got everyone's attention.
    "Not my circus. Not my monkeys"
    ~~ Old Polish Proverb ~~

Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brains fall out. Carl Sagan.

Thanks so much to those who wished my grandson well. I really appreciate it....and also hearing others have been thru this. Strangely, I've never been worried about it but of course, his parents are.
    I think we all realize that it's a huge blessing to have a healthy child ....if nothing else, Kristin found that insight, thinking about Heather's son's problems.
    Maybe there's hope for one of these Housewives to not be brainless??
    nah, probably not.
    Punkin and GabbyG like this.

Dragon Lady. I am sorry to hear about your grandson.
    I hope that it will be something minor.
    My cousin didn't talk for years. As he got older, he would not stop.
    One of my dear friends' daughters had a similar issue. Spent quite a while with a speech therapist and was fine.
    I am sending all good thoughts your way, my friend.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    I think that Kristen sounded confused about her daughter's not walking because she (and doctors) didn't know why.....since there was no physical or mental issues. I thought she sounded more worried about the situation rather than the appearance of her daughter in braces. She's too young now to understand about unkind people or kids making rude remarks or being nosy.....but in time, that will probably happen. Unfortunately.
    also I understand her confusion because my 2 1/2 yr old grandson is still not talking, except a couple words. So far, we've been told there's no physical or mental problem and we should just wait....along w/some developmental teachers twice a week.
    The latest assumption is that his jaw muscles are not as strong as they should be. But who knows??
    It does make you wonder and confused. And then you worry about future teasing or that over-used word: Bullying.
    Hmmm. My son had a bunch of health problems when he was little. Premature, stopped breathing a few times and spent 2 weeks in NICU...followed by hernia surgery, urethral reflux, and febrile (aka fever) seizures.

All by the time he was around 2...or 3 maybe. He was never a chatterbox (still isn't), but I recall being with family once and my uncle observing that he was a smart boy. He'd say really big words perfectly and he knew what they meant. Then, all of a sudden, he stopped talking. That time period is pretty blurry for me, but I blame it on the seizures-although I may have the timing wrong.

Anyway, a speech therapist said he was fine, and to do as you've been told, i.e. wait. He never got back to talking the way he did prior to stopping talking but he did resume speaking and such. Kids are so weird. He's fully grown now - a good looking, blond haired-blue-eyed 6' tall man. Still smart. Maybe he lost some of that in all his issues, but he still does ok. To look at him today, you'd never know that we nearly lost him 6-7 times in those first 2-3 years on this planet.

My daughter, who never had a problem, is the one with a few health issues these days. She's also fully grown.

Life (incl. kids) is like a box of chocolates.

Hang in there DragonLady. Hopefully the experts' assessments are correct.
    Last edited by Jexter; 03-24-2014 at 10:56 PM.
    GabbyG and Dragonlady like this.

+ Reply to Thread