+ Reply to Thread
Page 34 of 439 FirstFirst ... 24252627282930313233343536373839404142434484134 ... LastLast
Like Tree2610Likes

Thread: The Real Housewives of New York

RETIRED!! Doing whatever I want, whenever I want, with whomever I want!!

Re: The Real Housewives of New York

I'm still sort of absorbing Kelly's breakdown on tonights episode. Catching up on lots of episodes, cities, and seasons, but I'm pretty sure this was my favorite of all of them simply for it's uncut reality that "reality TV" seems to have precious little of these days. I suspect we just may have had an inside peek at a real, no sh*t, this is it, psychotic break.

Since I started watching this series Bethenny has been one of my very favorites for a variety of reasons. I mean, even with all the trappings of clear success flowing around her on every side, she has still managed to keep her feet on the very same ground the rest of us tread, as marked by her empathy for every day people and facility for gritty one liners. Anyone who has ever worked in a kitchen knows that kitchen will not be successful if the person at the top feels s/he is above rolling up a sleeve and scrubbing a pot during a rush. Perhaps that has contributed to keeping her in the real world with the rest of us, instead of some pukifyingly pretentious cartoon land of fleeting privilege a la The Countess.

When Kellly was introduced I can honestly say she was equally as much not among my favorites for about as many reasons. Even when she enters the room for the first time Kelly does so with the air of a girl who has been told she was pretty waaaaay too many times for it to have any credibility, then became utterly intoxicated by it, all the while knowing when the "you're pretty" train leaves the station for the last time she's got nothing. At the same time I wasn't sure if Kelly's strange presentation was just insecurity over being the newest on the show and her place in the world now that her looks are clearly fading (looks largely having been her passport into any kind of notoriety since grade school), etc. Describe it how you will, to me she just ain't all that, and seems to have lived her life utterly convinced she is.

Bethenny and Kelly's nearly immediate clash of personalities didn't surprise me much. After all, both are the only single women on the show, and both would be in the running for the "who's hotter" question. Despite the fact that Bethenny has lots going for her on most every level and Kelly only has the ",but I'm pretty card" in her deck, Kelly's single card isn't much good without an arch rival (even if manufactured in her own head) to play it against. I saw all of their interpersonal friction as being pretty much a byproduct of a "no, I'm the prettiest on the show" hair pulling contest.

I think tonight we may have seen some answer to that question. All Bethenny has to do is appear in the same room with Kelly, and Kelly seems apt find a reason why her appearance is somehow a personal slur against her. Perhaps it is true in Kelly's mind after all that this is a sort of Coyote/Roadrunner thing, that this is a contest someone must win or lose. By that logic Bethenny publishing yet another book totally overshadowed Kelly's high schoolishishly simplistic self-directed project of taking pictures on a New York street. Considering what we saw tonight, I have little doubt that while Bethenny was carefree and topless in a photo shoot over the Manhattan skyline, Kelly was curled up a ball on her bed, crying "That was my shoot! It should'a been me!" No doubt in her mind she was the obvious choice is any housewife was going to be photographed for any reason, especially one as hip and now as PETA. Leading up to tonight's episode have to wonder though, what was the timing between this breakdown and the revelation that Bethenny would be getting her very own spin off?

Might the revelation of the new "All Bethenny, All the Time" show have been too much for Kelly? I have to wonder what the timing was between that revelation and the trip they were all on. I think Kelly likely has been keeping a sort of weird score in her head, seeing that she has been consistantly outclassed by Bethenny, and tonight it all caught up with her.

RETIRED!! Doing whatever I want, whenever I want, with whomever I want!!

Quote Originally Posted by Boann;3909664;
    From what I can gather Kelly had a lot of negative press last year what with the assault charges, and the conflict with Bethenny (the I'm up here, you're down there fight, etc.). Apparently someone made a nasty comment about her kids in the press. From Sonja's comments it appears that Kelly has neither produced the comments, nor shown that it was Bethenny who made them. My impression is that Kelly blames whatever was written poorly about her in the press (i.e. from "anonymous sources) on Bethenny.

I must say that I really appreciated how much Sonja kept her cool during Kelly's meltdown, even when Kelly tried to provoke her. Kelly managed to bait everyone else successfully. I'm glad that the other women were able to calm it down too in response.
    Oh, I had forgotten about the assault charges with Kelly. I don't recall much of the details, but seems she was accused of being the assailant. If so, that would fall in line with someone who is unstable.

You are correct about Sonja. Props to her for keeping her head about her and seeing the bigger picture. I expect her instincts were to last back at Kelly as the others wanted to, but she took the high road. So, good for her.

this was the second week in a row I have just stared at my TV after the show was over trying to figure out what I just saw.

I am trying to decide if Kelly is just insane or she has a drug problem. She has clearly lost it. I also wonder how much Jill and Luann have a hand in this. I think both of them can see Kelly is obviously mentally challenged and unbalanced and probably fed her things to make her go over the edge. Usually I have fun laughing at Kelly but these past two weeks it has been disturbing to watch. It is a toss up who is crazier: Danielle or kelly.

FORT Fanatic

I don't care much for Sonya, but I am impressed at the way she has tried to help Kelly, who apparently has serious, serious mental problems - IF we can believe people on these shows. Last night was unnerving.

I didn't see Kelly in the previews for next week, are we thinking she left early? Andy Cohen mentioned her breakdown too. It's still disturbing to think about.

FORT Fan

I thought this was going to be a really entertaining eposide, but it turned out to be rather sad and draining.

After about 45 minutes I was ready to turn it off.

What in Jill's delusional, self-absorbed mind would make her think her surprise arrival would be welciomed by these women?
    I can't take it...
    "...feelings are so 1979..."
    -classic

At first I thought Kelly was just being a PITA but I realized at the same time as the women that something was very wrong with her. Hope she gets help for the sake of her kids.
    I've decided I like the new housewife, Sonja, she's rational and funny.
    I love the house they are staying in. I love the Virgin Islands, the most beautiful place in the world IMO. My favorite pre-recession vacation.
    The reason Jill is going down there is because she has not been the center of attention for the past couple shows and it was probably killing her. I like when Bethenny imitated Jills New York nasal 'HI', she sounded like a foghorn!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by straycat80;3909730;
    At first I thought Kelly was just being a PITA but I realized at the same time as the women that something was very wrong with her. Hope she gets help for the sake of her kids.
    I've decided I like the new housewife, Sonja, she's rational and funny.
    I love the house they are staying in. I love the Virgin Islands, the most beautiful place in the world IMO. My favorite pre-recession vacation.
    The reason Jill is going down there is because she has not been the center of attention for the past couple shows and it was probably killing her. I like when Bethenny imitated Jills New York nasal 'HI', she sounded like a foghorn!
    This eppy really stunned me. See, when I was in HS, there was a clique that I kinda wanted to be 'in' with. And it was semi-run by a girl I'll call Fusan. Now Fusan was intelligent, moderately pretty and moderately popular. And she was the girlfriend of my best friend. Now Fusan, despite being just a little above average was firmly convinced of her own superiority over all of us, or at least was really really good at acting as if she were superior. But I, being a bit clueless at times, didn't really know what was going on. All I knew was that everytime I was around Fusan, I felt a little worse about myself. Without being able to put my finger on what exactly it was. And Fusan had more social graces than I did, so I always felt and looked tongue-tied and awkward at best, rude and stupid at the worst.

The point is that I felt awful, and not understanding why that was, there was nothing I could do about it. Of course the frustration that caused just made me feel and act worse. I used to think of myself as thrashing around on the floor in turmoil because whenever I was around Fusan I was constantly nervous because I never knew when her next zing was coming, and acting worse and worse. The crowning glory was when Fusan attacked me, I'd try to defend myself, and then she'd accuse me of being 'defensive.' ??? "Of course I'm defending myself" I'd think, hours later, but at the time I would just defend myself against that charge. It was as if I were a slow moving hippo surrounded by quick darting lionesses. It wasn't until I grew up a bit mroe that I realized that being around Fusan was never ever ever going to be good for me that I was able to look more rationally at the situation. I was in a dysfuncational dynamic but all I could see was the dysfunction, not why it existed.

Years after high school we still maintained social contact but one day after yet another frustrating bicker session she just said "You know what, AngloAm? I don't like you." It was like a flood of relief over me. I said in return "Wow, Fusan. I don't like you either." And just like that, I said goodbye, got in my car and drove away from her house and haven't spoken to her since, for the last ten or fifteen years. To this day I feel I should give, or rather have sent to her, a nice thank you gift.

I'd spent so long trying to get Fusan to like me, but I always felt inferior to her which means the interactions were very tense and unpleasant - no wonder they descended to anger, frustration and hostility really really fast. I am convinced that Fusan was trying to like me and I know I was very unlikeable around her. People remarked how different I seemed. When i was around her I instantly became that insecure 17-year-old, trying desperately to "get" her to like me and angry when it didn't work. Now I figure, eff it, I have friends who like me and the back of my head to turn towards people who don't. But I'm way more comfortable in my own skin now. If nobody wants to hang around me, then I'm fine being alone, not that I am if I dont' want to be!

The point of all this is that I could see myself in Kelly. She doesn't like Bethenny at all. It started with the Madonna comment and the "place of no" at the awful charity meeting. Her explanation that she doesn't lend her name to anything, once you unpacked it and understood it, was a combination of 'not quite true' and 'badly put' but Bethenny was off and running with it.

Kelly tried to set things right or at least clarify things with Bethenny, and blew it badly. She doesn't like Bethenny but she's on a TV show with her. And the consequences of all that was that in the press and on TV, everyone laughed at her, which made her feel even more defensive.

Things went from bad to worse; Bethenny can talk rings around Kelly, she's fast, she's witty, she's good with a zinger. Sometimes with Kelly it's no fun to have a battle of wits because you're fighting an unarmed opponent.

Over the summer the drumbeat in the press continued and Kelly made it worse by whacking on her boyfriend.

(Whom she totally wasn't whacking, if we're to believe her. She wants to be with a punching bag she really loves, right? Couldn't resist.)

So while I think she behaved abominably on last night's eppy, and I really do think that she needs help, serious help, and to leave the show, I do maybe flatter myself that I have an idea how awful she feels and why. I felt really really sorry for her. Nothing she says or does makes anything better - and by now she hates the rest of them because she's convinced they hate her. That's why she turns to Jill and LuAnn; they stroke her and say nice things to her and validate her and don't challenge or attack her. Because of all that she'll overlook how mean they are.

The best thing for her would be to cease all association with Bethenny and to get help with her raw, deep, jagged insecurities. To stop trying to get everyone to like her and trying to always have a response. To learn to say "wow, you may be right" and to drop things. To take a deep breath before continuing. To learn to shut up.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Omar_X;3909665;
    Perhaps it is true in Kelly's mind after all that this is a sort of Coyote/Roadrunner thing, that this is a contest someone must win or lose. By that logic Bethenny publishing yet another book totally overshadowed Kelly's high schoolishishly simplistic self-directed project of taking pictures on a New York street.
    Your whole post was excellent and insightful, Omar_X but I wanted to note with reference to the above that last night on Twitter, Kelly posted that if her fans didn't want these other women to "win" could they please give her hints and ideas of what to say at the reunion, in return for which she, after delivering them verbatim (!) would name (and shame?) the person(s) who submitted the winning statement(s).

I'm not kidding. She asked for fan help in 'beating' the other women.

That ties in with your insight that she is outclassed, outmaneuvered and out of her depth and like anyone drowning she's grasping at straws and thrashing about incoherently.

+ Reply to Thread