+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2597Likes

Thread: The Real Housewives of New York

Re: The Real Housewives of New York

People give others the advice they would like to give themselves. So I guess Aviva's scream your head off advice was what he would be giving himself. Horrific scenario for sure that no one should have to face.

Name callers really are indifferent to the people they are injuring. I do not think the argument that "I am just so upset that I lost myself and started calling people names" just not stand since it appears to last longer than a normal reflection period. Aviva is not 20 years old. She has had experience. What she is telling us is that she probably did not apologize to the people she has offended in her life. And she really does not care. She does care about being alienated because of her behavior though.
    You can do it!

Aviva doesn't apologize or her apologies appear to be forced is because she doesn't believe she did anything wrong; she's "special". She is allowing her disability to control her rather than the other way around.

My son & his finger are fine. Both my boys played sports so if something wasn't sprained, broken or needed stitches they thought they didn't play 100%. My son getting a concussion scared the living daylights out of me.
    Some people dream of having a big swimming pool - with me it's closets."
    -Audrey Hepburn.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I don't understand how anybody thinks that a child with a serious, scary injury shouldn't scream. That's right up there with people thinking that you shouldn't show emotion at a funeral, at the revelation of a bad diagnosis.....it's just so stifled and sanitized. One thing some countries have over us is that they will indulge their emotions instead of trying to put on a "stiff upper lip" for other people. God gave us emotions and means of expression for a reason. Now, and inappropriate show is a different story, as in losing your mind over a splinter or a scrape; I can remember my son acting like a fool when I even approached him to clean up a scrape.....I actually had to laugh at him and tell him to shut up! Totally inappropriate for the damage done. He shut up, and he was fine. He got that dramatic mess from his dad's side of the family. I've had to talk kids down out of inappropriate panics before. Where it's appropriate, I say let the world know if it makes you feel better.

If you have a serious problem, who cares what other people think? You should just be trying to make it better, however you can.
    candor likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by OceanView View Post
    I know many people like Carol.... but Carol and Heather seem to both have their nose in the air.... all the while acting like it's others... not them. I really do not want the 3 new ones back. But truth be told... I think they need to recast the whole NY group. Ramona/Sonja/Luann have no story left. JMO Carol and Heather have already advertised their products (books/shapwear) and truly have no story left either. And Aviva never did have a story.... even tho at first I thought she was really going to be a great addition. Silly me. (....and without Aviva, no George - YAY)
    I think it needs to be recast too. I like Carol and Heather at the reunion, but not enough to watch them each week. The others are too far gone to be interesting anymore. I really don't care about Luann , Ramona, Sonja and their squabbles. I guess it brings drama which Bravo wants.

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    For those who watched....did you feel anything emotional when Aviva was talking about being trapped in that conveyor belt and her dad kept whispering to her to yell if she wanted? (The rescue personel kept telling her to be quiet.)
    For those who didn't feel much of anything when Aviva was talking about being trapped in that conveyor belt, I don't care how many times we've heard it, or how much we no longer like Aviva, but a 6 year old little girl with her foot and leg caught in a conveyor belt FOR THREE HOURS while it continually chewed up first her foot and then, piece by piece, chewed up her leg, all the way up to the knee --- THAT'S MORE THAN EXCRUCIATING!!!!!! That's HORRIFYING AND INCOMPREHENSIBLE! And to tell that little girl to shut and and not to cry, are you serious??? Her foot and leg were being ripped off!!!! Unbelievable terror and pain!

No, I don't excuse the adult Aviva's intransigent behavior or her not being able to let her grudge against Ramona go, but my God, to minimize or to "be over" her injury is just inhumanely insensitive!

I absolutely agree that what Aviva went through as a child was horrific and unimaginable, although I think that her memory of it is very distorted and colored by a lot of thoughts and feelings that must have been overwhelming and incomprehensible at her age. I don't feel sure, for example, that the rescue person told her to shut up-- that could very well be a projection. That she felt that someone or something was trying to get her to shut up-- or if she felt that later messages were that she shouldn't make such a big deal over it, we'll never know.

I'm really torn about her as a adult. As a person I know in passing or at a job, or at school, I would find her impossible to take if she acted like that. But as you get to be closer degrees of friend, you start to understand and maybe give some leeway to people with truly traumatic experiences-- up to a point.

It's clear that for the level of friendship she had with Ramona and Sonja, Aviva crossed the line by a lot. Maybe closer friends and her husband can tolerate a lot more. And she probably has lots of lovely personal characteristics that counterbalance her pent up rage. I very much hope that she gets more help with her nightmarish memories--- maybe she needs a different type of therapy, as I think Sonja said. Mean and vindictive as she can be, she really deserves a lot of compassion--

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Imperfect1 View Post
    For those who didn't feel much of anything when Aviva was talking about being trapped in that conveyor belt, I don't care how many times we've heard it, or how much we no longer like Aviva, but a 6 year old little girl with her foot and leg caught in a conveyor belt FOR THREE HOURS while it continually chewed up first her foot and then, piece by piece, chewed up her leg, all the way up to the knee --- THAT'S MORE THAN EXCRUCIATING!!!!!! That's HORRIFYING AND INCOMPREHENSIBLE! And to tell that little girl to shut and and not to cry, are you serious??? Her foot and leg were being ripped off!!!! Unbelievable terror and pain!

No, I don't excuse the adult Aviva's intransigent behavior or her not being able to let her grudge against Ramona go, but my God, to minimize or to "be over" her injury is just inhumanely insensitive!
    The dust has settled a bit for me where Aviva is concerned.

Traumatic events like the one Aviva went through forever color one's world. It is not realistic to expect that anyone should ever pop back into the world as if nothing ever happened - ever. And, Whereas those who undergo internal traumas, e.g. cancer or something, Aviva's missing limb is a daily reminder of what she endured. What was, what could have been, etc.

I think she has done a stupendous job of building a life for herself despite the physical limitations and emotional issues surrounding the accident. She really has. Who cares if she doesn't work outside the home. Who cares if she uses her degrees or not. She can choose to live any life she wants - just like everyone else in a free country.

In the end, I give her a ton of credit. My only issue with Aviva is her belief that people have to behave in ways that meet her own standards.

And, it makes me sad that she relies on Reed as much as she does only because that does minimize her ability to fully embrace life as an individual. But, if that is her only weakness in life, it's not so bad.

Oh, one more. As traumatic as the accident was, she really should not impose the emotional baggage of her anxieties and phobias on to others.
    norealityhere and sparklete like this.

Ramona looked so drunk at the beginning.
    Kocky_Kamikaze likes this.
    For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.
    - Virginia Woolf

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

After watching the second half of the reunion, I kind of worry about Ramona's continued stay on the show. She went up against Andy a bit much, though he deserved it. Ro-So-Lu held up a good front of what to do for TV and what not to do. I've come around on Heather, but I'm not sure she'll see the show as a good deal for her brand anymore, depending on her sales figures; I'd still like to see her stick around. As much as I'd be the "outside viewer" on a reality tv show (which is why I'd never be on one) Carole can go. She's just kind of dull, but not as nearly as offensive as the other downtown VaJazzel woman from last season. And if I never see Aviva & George again, I'd be happy. I'd rather JillZarinofZarinFabrics. Or even Kelly JellyBeans.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Okay, not so much on JillZarinofZarinFabrics after WWHL.

+ Reply to Thread