+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2466Likes

Thread: The Real Housewives of New York

Re: The Real Housewives of New York

I thought Aviva meant that she didn't go into how awful the accident was and the details of it very often.

In her version of it on the show, she briefly got back into the emotions and a more immediate memory of what happened. That didn't last very long and she quickly shifted into a more artificial mode of retelling. She usually talks about it as a certain type of narrative, which isn't that moving. And by the time she said that she didn't talk about it with her friends, she was already back in as a self-dramatizing narrator. she likes to present the injury in a sort of blase way, like 'oh I had an accident when I was a child... " and just shock people a little by how casual she is about the artificial leg. She can blow it off, and surreptitiously watch them suppress a certain horror or discomfort. Oor in the alternative sometimes she plays it up as a melodramatic scenario, as she started to-- but she probably doesn't go back into the memory itself, which she did for a few moments on the show.

With memories like that, you can talk about them til you're blue in the face without really talking about them, which is what Aviva usually does. But the moments that are genuine are very rare.
    candor likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    When a child is seriously injured and scared, I don't think that the child's screaming is out of order. I'm guessing that, instead of talking to her in a calm, soothing, steady manner, the EMTs (or whatever kind of workers they had back then) were yelling at her to be quiet.....and that does not help. I think George was, actually, right to tell her to scream if she had to. With all of those strange people around her she was, reasonably, scared. My sorrow was for that freaked out child....not the adult Viv. I do think her parents are who really turned her into a cripple.

Ramona's dress was yuck!
    I don't think I explained myself correctly. I have 2 sons so I am no stranger to emergency rooms. My son cut his finger 90% of the way off. Yes he was crying but I was told to try to keep him quiet and still because the more he cried the higher his blood pressure went more blood was lost. True it was only a finger but I am guessing with an injury as severe as Aviva's shock was a real possibility so keeping her quiet might have been a better option as a parent.
    I don't know the Drescher family nor do I ever care to. The thing I find glaring is, yes this was a horrific accident that happened to Aviva, it has left her an emotional wreck. This has affected not only her but those around her.
    Some people dream of having a big swimming pool - with me it's closets."
    -Audrey Hepburn.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

If ol' Viv would try to meet people half-way, with her personality, it would probably help. She, not only, doesn't meet people half-way, she doesn't even try which I can understand why they are not very friendly with her. You reach out to me, I will reach out to you.

Snow Bunny, if Viv was screaming and crying, that tells you something about certain functions of her body. It is a pretty good sign, actuallly. You should be more concerned with a quiet patient. I am saying that her screaming was appropriate for the situation....it is what you would expect. I've noticed that males do worse with cut and bloody injuries that they can see. Guys tend to, easily, go into faint mode; sometimes, females do too, but it's usually the males. I worked with a guy who cut his finger trying to change a headlight...the fatty tissue was visible...and everytime he took the paper towel off to look at his finger (and I don't know why he kept doing that), he'd lose color, his eyes would roll back in his head, and his head would start to roll around in a near faint, which indicated that his blood pressure had dropped. I've seen this type of thing happen more than once; once he covered it back up, he was much better. It was downright cartoonish! Guys are more delicate than we think.
    Lizard likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

The thing prhoshay I really don't care what Aviva has to say. I should but I just don't. I think she is rude & condsending. If you don't do or share her views then you are wrong. Everyday life IS a hazzard but you can't be so afraid of dying that you forget to live. She is just a walking contradction.
    OceanView likes this.
    Some people dream of having a big swimming pool - with me it's closets."
    -Audrey Hepburn.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I agree! She is her own worst enemy, but it doesn't have to be that way. Her choice.

And HOW is your son's finger looking at this point in time? My co-worker's injury was no where near what your baby experienced! I've never let him live that down! Today, he can laugh!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

i really like carol . . . . heather has grown on me although i hate the way she speaks, her having worked for bad boy kind of explains it tho . . . . i can't with aviva . . . . sonja is actually pathetic to me, the countass still grates my nerves and i've always hated the ramonacoaster.
    candor, GabbyG and Prism like this.

I watched the first two shows of the season, also briefly when they went to London, and the Reunion part 1. I found the start of this season boring and I don't really know what is going on. This used to be my favorite group of housewives. That said, this is my impression of the reunion:
    Carol and Heather- normal humans that can rationally talk about situations and can properly use humour. Teresa should study Carol's use of "oh I meant that as a joke....." b/c it was actually funny.
    Aviva- She needs therapy; really good therapy, and she probably shouldn't be on this show.
    Ramona- I actually enjoyed Ramona this time around. She made sense.
    Sonia- The first season she was on she was so fun and carefree; now she's just boring and snooty.
    LuAnn- I was delighted to see her get taken down a notch. She was ready to pounce on Carol about how she doesn't behave like a princess and did; but Carol outclassed her in every way possible.

FORT Fogey

I just LOVED this season. There was just the right amount of dramatics for me. I'd be quite happy if we just got to follow the NYC women around while they shop, tend to kids, date, age, etc.

Give me a city where it is heavy on the fun and light on the dramatics. A middle-aged version of sex in the cities (yes, I said middle-aged).

I thoroughly enjoyed a more subdued show AND reunion.

Don't get me wrong....I'll watch the bloodbaths on the others shows, but I like NYC to be light and sassy (relatively speaking).

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by mina View Post
    I watched the first two shows of the season, also briefly when they went to London, and the Reunion part 1. I found the start of this season boring and I don't really know what is going on. This used to be my favorite group of housewives. That said, this is my impression of the reunion:
    Carol and Heather- normal humans that can rationally talk about situations and can properly use humour. Teresa should study Carol's use of "oh I meant that as a joke....." b/c it was actually funny.
    Aviva- She needs therapy; really good therapy, and she probably shouldn't be on this show.
    Ramona- I actually enjoyed Ramona this time around. She made sense.
    Sonia- The first season she was on she was so fun and carefree; now she's just boring and snooty.
    LuAnn- I was delighted to see her get taken down a notch. She was ready to pounce on Carol about how she doesn't behave like a princess and did; but Carol outclassed her in every way possible.
    I know many people like Carol.... but Carol and Heather seem to both have their nose in the air.... all the while acting like it's others... not them. I really do not want the 3 new ones back. But truth be told... I think they need to recast the whole NY group. Ramona/Sonja/Luann have no story left. JMO Carol and Heather have already advertised their products (books/shapwear) and truly have no story left either. And Aviva never did have a story.... even tho at first I thought she was really going to be a great addition. Silly me. (....and without Aviva, no George - YAY)

OceanView....I hate to correct you but you were wrong about Aviva never having a story. She had a story. She only has one leg. We heard that story every single episode.

Personally, I don't usually like any people who say "Oh, I meant that as a joke...." If it truly was funny and a joke, you wouldn't need to explain that it was a joke. It's usually not a joke but a jibe.

But I enjoyed the season and the reunion: plenty juicy without the F-words and the screaming and the threats of violence (Rosie).
    I really like Rosie but she was totally out of line making those threats.....and I do think it was at Bravo's suggestion.
    sparklete likes this.

+ Reply to Thread