+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2467Likes

Thread: The Real Housewives of New York

FORT Fogey

Re: The Real Housewives of New York

PhoneGrrrl, Aviva's story last night had the same impact (or lack of impact) on me. I thought that we had heard it so often already that I didn't really connect with it. It did however give me some insight as to how her parents may have raised her, which would go a long way in explaining why she is like she is. I've never gone thorugh anything that traumatizing with my kids. But I have been in the emergency room with a child who was in terrible pain and getting stitches. I hated seeing my baby like that, and wanted to do something to make the pain go away. But I also knew that the doctor and nurse who were taking care of him knew how to fix it better than I could. As much as I hated it, I moved out of their way and let them do their thing. So when she said that George told her to keep on screaming, it showed me that George is arrogant enough to think that he knows better than the emergency workers. It also showed me that George would indulge Aviva's short term needs to make her happy, instead of thinking about what was going to be better for her in the long run. That was certainly an extreme event, and MAYBE George did not indulge her like that all the time. But based on the way she acts, I'm going to guess that he did. I guess that he indulged everything she ever wanted, which is why now, she does not know how to function if people don't do things her way.

I must say that I thought all the ladies--except for Ramona, who was wearing that awful, blue leather/chiffonie dress, looked quite lovely last night, no?

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

When a child is seriously injured and scared, I don't think that the child's screaming is out of order. I'm guessing that, instead of talking to her in a calm, soothing, steady manner, the EMTs (or whatever kind of workers they had back then) were yelling at her to be quiet.....and that does not help. I think George was, actually, right to tell her to scream if she had to. With all of those strange people around her she was, reasonably, scared. My sorrow was for that freaked out child....not the adult Viv. I do think her parents are who really turned her into a cripple.

Ramona's dress was yuck!
    candor, GabbyG, Lizard and 3 others like this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fogey

As crazy as Aviva is, these ladies are sweet as honey compared to ATL and NJ. And, for me, it is a HUGE breath of fresh air.

I love these ladies. Including looney tunes Aviva and Ramona.

Aviva is trying to repair her reputation and must have been coached to apologize. If I were on the show I just would not spend much time on Aviva.

I am glad Ramona and Luanne are making efforts to get along better.
    OceanView likes this.
    You can do it!

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jexter View Post
    As crazy as Aviva is, these ladies are sweet as honey compared to ATL and NJ. And, for me, it is a HUGE breath of fresh air.
    That must be why I don't watch ATL & NJ!

Aviva is totally trying to rehab her image, but her biggest problem is that once the St. Barths stuff started and the fans were reacting negatively towards her, she didn't shut it down with her blogs or social media--she kept bagging on Ramona & Sonja. I don't see how she could ever get the Camille Grammer edit in the next season unless she loses another limb, saves 300 children from a fire, rescues 2,000 animals, and says nothing ever, except negative remarks about George.

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by provenceguy View Post
    I must say that I thought all the ladies--except for Ramona, who was wearing that awful, blue leather/chiffonie dress, looked quite lovely last night, no?
    I agree. That blue dress of Ramona's was awful. I thought Sonja looked exceptionally pretty. Loved the hair extensions. This year I have felt that I've really gotten to know Sonja. I feel sorry for her, and really like her. If there was one NY housewife that I would love to have lunch with and sit and chat... it would be Sonja. I could not stomach any of the others. Carol absolutely made me sick. She pretends to be so down to earth... all the while acting like her designer friend has some special social status that Luann would just not understand. ICK

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    For those who watched....did you feel anything emotional when Aviva was talking about being trapped in that conveyor belt and her dad kept whispering to her to yell if she wanted? (The rescue personel kept telling her to be quiet.)
    I have to say.... the more she slips out information from that day.... I do feel for her. I feel for that little girl. But the woman she is today I just can't stand. And honestly, at the beginning of the season, I thought she was going to be my favorite. She was for a few weeks. But no more.

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Prism View Post
    Aviva, just like the other women, has enjoyed a selfish, egocentered life of luxury and privilege, and IMHO that's why none of them can manage ongoing civil and kind relationships. I believe Aviva, like any woman, is humiliated and embarrassed when she falls, and likely does not look forward to the clumsiness and humiliation and negative attention it brings.

I do think she likes to remind people that she has suffered immensely - but only when she's sitting there all pretty and calm, not when she's flat on the floor looking like a clown.
    But there are so many highly privilieged kids out there that grow up to be great, responsible, productive in society and likeable people. Where Bravo finds these type of women... I just don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by cavendish View Post
    I do feel for Aviva after hearing her story last night. I don't think I'd want to know her or could get along with her, but I think she did experience a terribly traumatic event, which her parents don't sound as if they helped her to process. I'm not sure parents could alone help a young child come to terms with that experience. As a adult, it's extremely difficult to rework those experiences.
    I do think that parents could help a child deal with such a horrific calamity....I'm sure there are exceptions but a little child of 6 has only her parents to help her through this trauma....they are the child's Whole World.
    And I don't think they did a good job of it but rather treated her too gently? spoiled her too much??
    I'm really not sure why Aviva puts so much emphasis on the fact that her father told her to scream and scream...I'm not getting why that is always part of the story.

Who is Aviva trying to convince that she doesn't talk about her accident? surely not the world because that's ALL she can talk about. She can apologize as much as she wants but everyone now knows that she just has a really mean streak because she carried it on and on and on....you can forgive an outburst or a one time thing but this was just cruel.

I don't think I'd be friends with any of them. All are very very self involved, despite their charitable ways...
    looks like next week, Luann admits that she had her fling with the Pirate, Jacq knows and there is/has been trouble in paradise.

+ Reply to Thread