+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2207Likes

Thread: The Real Housewives of New York

Re: The Real Housewives of New York

If Carole is as smart as I think she might be, she's using RH for name recognition to sell her current work; but more important, she'll probably base a book or two on her RH experiences, probably not actually referencing RH, but the storylines for a book are endless.
    Punkin likes this.
    "Not my circus. Not my monkeys"
    ~~ Old Polish Proverb ~~

Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brains fall out. Carl Sagan.

Carol has probably seen worse being around the set of people she has been around with. Her book would probably really be something.

I think I want to hear Aviva's dad answer the question "Why do you think Sonja was attracted to Tomas and not you?"
    Punkin, Prism, Debb70 and 1 others like this.
    You can do it!

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    Was Aviva serious when she said there should have been a "Welcome Aviva" banner to greet her when she arrived??
    Getting back to Aviva for a moment -- I'm not condoning Aviva's overreaction to her perceived lack of welcome -- please understand that. BUT I've had a flying phobia for over 30 years and after much treatment I can still only fly whiteknuckled with lots of Valium -- so I completely understand that when you are TERRIFIED (truly terrified) of flying (one of the rare phobias where you really CAN get killed if the plane crashes!) -- and in spite of your terror, you face your fear and take the flight, you really feel like someone should put up a banner and celebrate you when you arrive.

If you've never had a phobia you don't understand that it's not just a 'glorified fear.' It's you feeling that if you do the thing, then you will die. Period. And to face that heightened state of fear is very, very difficult. Again, I'm not saying that Aviva's response to the women was appropriate --- it just would've been wonderful for her if they had been sensitive enough, just for one moment, to give her an 'atta girl' you did it! --- and she probably would've been so relieved and happy.
    Punkin likes this.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Well, Aviva should have made her own banner and taken it with her. I do understand phobias, and I do not fly well, but I also know that there are some things over which I have no control, so I don't waste my time fretting over them....I just give them over and do my deep-breathing. I guess we all choose what we worry about.

If Aviva didn't have her flying to fret over, she would have found something else. Staying at home would have not been the worst idea. She can be a pain in the rear.
    mayamaisha and Moontat like this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Imperfect1 View Post
    Getting back to Aviva for a moment -- I'm not condoning Aviva's overreaction to her perceived lack of welcome -- please understand that. BUT I've had a flying phobia for over 30 years and after much treatment I can still only fly whiteknuckled with lots of Valium -- so I completely understand that when you are TERRIFIED (truly terrified) of flying (one of the rare phobias where you really CAN get killed if the plane crashes!) -- and in spite of your terror, you face your fear and take the flight, you really feel like someone should put up a banner and celebrate you when you arrive.

If you've never had a phobia you don't understand that it's not just a 'glorified fear.' It's you feeling that if you do the thing, then you will die. Period. And to face that heightened state of fear is very, very difficult. Again, I'm not saying that Aviva's response to the women was appropriate --- it just would've been wonderful for her if they had been sensitive enough, just for one moment, to give her an 'atta girl' you did it! --- and she probably would've been so relieved and happy.
    I can so relate to your post. I have that phobia/fear/terror of flying as well (and must take medication to fly as well.) And the very reason the girls did not make a big to do over Aviva was exactly what you said, they had no idea what she just conquered to be there. They all saw Reid and that is what they focused on. Even though I was not on Aviva's side in regards to her behavior, I can understand it, but I also know that although we all react differently to things, I would have never acted the way she did... and for so long. My gosh she wouldn't drop it.
    Punkin and Imperfect1 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by OceanView View Post
    I can so relate to your post. I have that phobia/fear/terror of flying as well (and must take medication to fly as well.) And the very reason the girls did not make a big to do over Aviva was exactly what you said, they had no idea what she just conquered to be there. They all saw Reid and that is what they focused on. Even though I was not on Aviva's side in regards to her behavior, I can understand it, but I also know that although we all react differently to things, I would have never acted the way she did... and for so long. My gosh she wouldn't drop it.
    I thought Miss Aviva didn't like the attention of others concering "whatever is the flavor of the day" and wanted to be treated "normally". Personally
    I think she is a piece of work.
    Sometimes right back where you started from is right where you belong.

It's not like Aviva didn't show this same side of herself before, in regard to Heather and Luanne, continually reviving the tales of their wrong-doing and not letting it go. Plus her reaction to Ramona and Sonja skipping her charity event had a whole similar tone-- so I don't think her reaction was only or even mostly as an aftereffect of the plane flight. Maybe that made her a bit more touchy at first-- but it can't account for the form the whole long rant took.

I have a phobia about flying also, and while I can see myself acting a little difficult about say something while I was on the plane, I can't see it going on after I've gotten onto the ground, and on to the next days.
    Punkin and Moontat like this.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

And remember, there is a ferry boat to get to the island she could have taken--a decent size boat, not some raft or pontoon. All that tiny plane talk is for the drama. I don't have a particular fear of flying (I hate it for the exasperating airline screw-ups and rude passengers more than anything) but there's no way I'd take the tiny plane either, since apparently it cuts off the engines and glides into the short runway to land. It's likened to roller coasters, and I hate roller coasters. But from what I can tell on the website, the boat that takes people to St. Barths (aside from private yachts...which y'all know I have....heehee) are similar to the Circle Line boats that go around NYC. Aviva could have easily taken the ferry....if Bravo let her.
    Punkin likes this.

I, too, am afraid of flying; therefore, I would have taken the 40 minute ferry ride or stayed at home.
    Punkin likes this.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Imperfect1 View Post

I totally agree with this. My son is like this with amusement park rides. It is beyond fear. It is terror. I will never in a million years force him on a ride. There was a story about a teen who jumped out of a ride at a local theme park out of shear terror and he died - and it was just the log ride! I could see my son doing that. I let him have his phobia. It's too risky and not worth dealing with. Better just to stay away.

The problem with Aviva is this:

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    If Aviva didn't have her flying to fret over, she would have found something else.
    Personally, I like Aviva, and I can totatlly understand why she is the way she is. My theory is that she never emotionally recovered from her accident and her mom's reaction to it and subsequent alcoholism/death. She seems to have a need to seek reassurance 24/7. She wants to feel safe which is why she clings to both Reid and her anxieties (which likely elicit sympathy and attention most of the time). She needs to find peace within herself rather than looking for it from others. IMO, this is the crux of the matter.

Whil I cut her a ton of slack, I'm glad the other wives called her out on all of it. She needed to hear it, and hopefully she'll learn a valuable life-lesson (or two).
    Last edited by Jexter; 09-16-2012 at 02:50 AM.
    Punkin, cavendish and Imperfect1 like this.

+ Reply to Thread