+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2201Likes

Thread: The Real Housewives of New York

Re: The Real Housewives of New York

The thing about these sorts of blow-ups is that they're initially unscripted-- they just boil up from someplace crazy in one or more housewives-- and it's fascinating -- So viewers get really stirred up and take sides etc--

But then there's the danger that it seems like all they can do is try to foment and surpass the craziness in later seasons-- so everyone starts to vie for tv time and notoriety--but it all seems scripted and empty. For one thing, Bravo wants to cash in on the excitement--But there's really no where to go-- And people who haven't been strident, even like Alex, start to feel like they won't be on the show, so you get all this back-stabbing and petty fights breaking out over stuff that's so exaggerated that it becomes degrading to everyone, including the audience.

I really hope that we don't get a lot of phony making up or a lot of phony blow-ups over nothing. It's like these ruptures don't really have a next chapter. IRL, when people fall out like this they don't keep on with seeing one another-- they just write one another off. It's not like they have deep relationships that would lead to some sort of meaningful closeness or deeper understanding. But in these shows there's this forced ongoing relationship. So someone has to play peace-maker-- and then everyone tries to position themselves around whoever is the craziest or most successful in grabbing screen time.

and the whole thing just degenerates. I hope I"m wrong, but I kind of see it coming.
    Punkin, livin4reality and Debb70 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by cavendish View Post
    The thing about these sorts of blow-ups is that they're initially unscripted-- they just boil up from someplace crazy in one or more housewives-- and it's fascinating -- So viewers get really stirred up and take sides etc--

But then there's the danger that it seems like all they can do is try to foment and surpass the craziness in later seasons-- so everyone starts to vie for tv time and notoriety--but it all seems scripted and empty. For one thing, Bravo wants to cash in on the excitement--But there's really no where to go-- And people who haven't been strident, even like Alex, start to feel like they won't be on the show, so you get all this back-stabbing and petty fights breaking out over stuff that's so exaggerated that it becomes degrading to everyone, including the audience.

I really hope that we don't get a lot of phony making up or a lot of phony blow-ups over nothing. It's like these ruptures don't really have a next chapter. IRL, when people fall out like this they don't keep on with seeing one another-- they just write one another off. It's not like they have deep relationships that would lead to some sort of meaningful closeness or deeper understanding. But in these shows there's this forced ongoing relationship. So someone has to play peace-maker-- and then everyone tries to position themselves around whoever is the craziest or most successful in grabbing screen time.

and the whole thing just degenerates. I hope I"m wrong, but I kind of see it coming.
    This is so true. I think that's exactly what happened to the first RHONY cast, and RHOOC as well. Tamra sort of admitted that after awhile she didn't even know why she was angry, but she just kept it up. The thing is, the show can be entertaining without pumping up the conflict so much, or without cast members like Sonja trying so hard to be larger than life that she comes off like a cartoon character. People can be interesting just because of who they are. The producers should take a cue from "Small Town Security."
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." ó Will Rogers

FORT Fanatic

I tried to give Aviva the benefit of the doubt, but after this last show forget it. Flaunting her education? Acting so disgusted with Ramona and Sonja's behavior when her own father's behavior is 10x worse? Calling anyone white trash? I think the real Aviva is unleashed. It won't happen often that I side with Ramona/Sonja, but this time I do. (I mean really.... a party and red carpet for her arrival? tsk tsk tsk)
    Punkin and Debb70 like this.

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by AcookerTV View Post
    Well LuAnn and Sonja also passed Aviva's ex-husband around. Clearly, they have a bit of a "conquest" rivalry going on. Also, I'm starting to wonder if perhaps LuAnn and Jacques have a bit more of an open relationship than most people may be used to. Weren't their rumors that she and her ex-husband had an open marriage? Maybe her hooking up with Tomas is par for the course as far as Jacques is concerned. And maybe he was back in New York hooking up with Tomasina since LuAnn was away.
    LOL... Tomasina. Love it!

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    aviva didn't need to check into a hotel. Aviva needed to check into a mental hospital.
    bingo!!!!!!!!

Is Carole's boyfriend, Russ, in Aerosmith - the Steven Tyler group?
    Really??!!
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Yes he is!
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

FORT Regular

While Aviva certainly went a bit overboard and exposed her insecurities in a major way I STILL couldn't help but love watching her go off on Ramona and Sonja. They truly are trashy, selfish, and lack class (especially Ramona but also Sonja when she gets together with Ramona) and anytime someone stands up to them and tells them that I applaud it. Aviva clearly has problems with various phobias, anxiety issues, etc. but I think her heart is in the right place and she is a kind, loyal person. Ramona is anything but.
    Punkin likes this.

FORT Regular

Wow I knew Carole was a NY times best seller but I just finished reading her Bravo blog and what a talent!!! She is incredibly witty and eloquent and just "gets" the silliness of this show. Great read!

Thank you for telling me scootad. I never really look at the blogs. I found Aviva so mean that I went to her blog in hopes of finding that she was not that mean. And I found that she indeed is mean and does not care to have any touch with reality. And one wonders the lucky others she must be brutalizing with her "self excused" behavior.

Taste of Carol's blog: She mostly is laser on and is very interesting in retelling of events. Interspersed are interesting bits "The Bonobo Chimp organizes its entire social structure around sex. They use sex to say Hello, to resolve disputes, to make up after fights; they trade sex for food and favor. They tongue kiss, perform orally, mutually masturbate, and even have a penis-fencing ritual. They do have sex for pleasure, but most of the time, much like Housewives across the country, they use sex simply to keep the peace. Not surprisingly, the DNA of the Bonobo compares closely to DNA of the average man and woman, matching as high as 98 percent in one study. Bonobos are closer, genetically speaking, to humans than they are to gorillas! Iím obsessed with animal shows. I know, itís weird."

In her blog Carol said Aviva "thought" the girls were talking behind her back.

The statement Aviva was making at the table saying that she proudly just harps about things. Ew. So she labels people who were showing her care as enemies and attacks them endlessly.
    Last edited by Lizard; 09-06-2012 at 08:43 AM.
    You can do it!

+ Reply to Thread